1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Literally unplayable.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by TheGrumpyBuddha, Feb 14, 2018 at 2:46 PM.

1. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha Chieftain

Okay, that's an overstatement, but the exploit available now where it's better to have 1 iron than 2 iron so that you can just buy/build warriors and cheaply upgrade to Swordsmen ... ridiculous! Just ridiculous. And I know, that applies to catapults/bombards, etc.

Cost of buying Unit A and upgrading to Unit B (at full price!) should not be less than half the cost of buying Unit B.

There have always been exploits that are more or less easy to avoid, if you want to, but I would think that after being out for years, now, the developers could have figured out a way past this one.

2. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

Yeah, this shouldn't be a thing. I was very surprised when I saw I could still build catapults when I had 1 niter and bombards researched. It's so much easier to earn gold than production and then you have that 50% discount card... Nonsense.

3. SharTeel

SharTeel Chieftain

No one is forcing you to "exploit" the game, you know? If you think that it is wrong to train heavy chariot and upgrade them into knights, then don't. Unless you're talking about multiplayer, that's another problem :p

Ferocitus likes this.
  4. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

It's not always better. You can sell or trade the iron, or not upgrade the warriors to save
    them for cheap garrisons later, or myriads of other strategies, or, as someone else said:
    don't use the tactic if you think it's an exploit or if doesn't suit your style and expectations.

Why? Just because you say so? Pfffft.

5. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha Chieftain

Common sense, more like. And yes, two iron is better than one iron, but only because you can trade the extra iron so that you can then do the exploit.

6. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Chieftain

Upgrade should require 2 strategic resources as well.

And also making units that can only be upgraded with 1 strategic resouce on the tile of a Encampment. Wanna upgrade 10 units with 1 strategic resource? wait for 10 turns!

They’ve implemented the same principle for religious units to heal next to Holy site.

Warmongering has already made the game easy. I’ve never felt the urgency to beeline strategic resouce techs. Strategic resources should be made vital to the very survival or prosperity of a civ. Not less important.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 1:27 AM
    TheGrumpyBuddha likes this.
  7. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

The good thing about multiplayer is that gold generation is harder to get in the beginning.

8. BlackWizard

BlackWizard Chieftain

Upgrade should require 10resources

And it should be veeeeryyyyy expensive. Warrior swordmes upgrade should cost 10000gold

In fact upgrading of units shouldnt even be possible. Units should die to old age after 5 turns and create some artifacts

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2018 at 4:36 PM
  9. Draco84

Draco84 Chieftain

Units are generally too cheap to upgrade as is. Maybe double the costs and it would be better and leave the system as is. You should only want to upgrade your promoted units, let the others rot and retrain new ones.

I think to make it fair units should require 2 resources to upgrade into, or 1 if you upgrade while standing on an encampment. Change mercenaries policy to only offer a discount when standing on a emcampment as well. This boosts the value of encampments, does anyone build those???

10. Promethien

Promethien Chieftain

Yes. Great generals have great value and I very much prefer units that have experience gain bonuses. The buildings also give production and housing. I don't make them in every city. Usually just a few depending on city placement vs potential conflict.