Literally unplayable.

Okay, that's an overstatement, but the exploit available now where it's better to have 1 iron than 2 iron so that you can just buy/build warriors and cheaply upgrade to Swordsmen ... ridiculous! Just ridiculous. And I know, that applies to catapults/bombards, etc.

Cost of buying Unit A and upgrading to Unit B (at full price!) should not be less than half the cost of buying Unit B.

There have always been exploits that are more or less easy to avoid, if you want to, but I would think that after being out for years, now, the developers could have figured out a way past this one.

Yeah, this shouldn't be a thing. I was very surprised when I saw I could still build catapults when I had 1 niter and bombards researched. It's so much easier to earn gold than production and then you have that 50% discount card... Nonsense.

No one is forcing you to "exploit" the game, you know? If you think that it is wrong to train heavy chariot and upgrade them into knights, then don't. Unless you're talking about multiplayer, that's another problem :p

Okay, that's an overstatement, but the exploit available now where it's better to have 1 iron than 2 iron so that you can just buy/build warriors and cheaply upgrade to Swordsmen ... ridiculous! Just ridiculous. And I know, that applies to catapults/bombards, etc.

It's not always better. You can sell or trade the iron, or not upgrade the warriors to save
them for cheap garrisons later, or myriads of other strategies, or, as someone else said:
don't use the tactic if you think it's an exploit or if doesn't suit your style and expectations.

Cost of buying Unit A and upgrading to Unit B (at full price!) should not be less than half the cost of buying Unit B.

Why? Just because you say so? Pfffft.

It's not always better. You can sell or trade the iron, or not upgrade the warriors to save
them for cheap garrisons later, or myriads of other strategies, or, as someone else said:
don't use the tactic if you think it's an exploit or if doesn't suit your style and expectations.

Why? Just because you say so? Pfffft.

Common sense, more like. And yes, two iron is better than one iron, but only because you can trade the extra iron so that you can then do the exploit.

Upgrade should require 2 strategic resources as well.

And also making units that can only be upgraded with 1 strategic resouce on the tile of a Encampment. Wanna upgrade 10 units with 1 strategic resource? wait for 10 turns!

They’ve implemented the same principle for religious units to heal next to Holy site.

Warmongering has already made the game easy. I’ve never felt the urgency to beeline strategic resouce techs. Strategic resources should be made vital to the very survival or prosperity of a civ. Not less important.

Last edited:
No one is forcing you to "exploit" the game, you know? If you think that it is wrong to train heavy chariot and upgrade them into knights, then don't. Unless you're talking about multiplayer, that's another problem :p

The good thing about multiplayer is that gold generation is harder to get in the beginning.

Upgrade should require 10resources

And it should be veeeeryyyyy expensive. Warrior swordmes upgrade should cost 10000gold

In fact upgrading of units shouldnt even be possible. Units should die to old age after 5 turns and create some artifacts

Last edited by a moderator:
Units are generally too cheap to upgrade as is. Maybe double the costs and it would be better and leave the system as is. You should only want to upgrade your promoted units, let the others rot and retrain new ones.

I think to make it fair units should require 2 resources to upgrade into, or 1 if you upgrade while standing on an encampment. Change mercenaries policy to only offer a discount when standing on a emcampment as well. This boosts the value of encampments, does anyone build those???

Units are generally too cheap to upgrade as is. Maybe double the costs and it would be better and leave the system as is. You should only want to upgrade your promoted units, let the others rot and retrain new ones.

I think to make it fair units should require 2 resources to upgrade into, or 1 if you upgrade while standing on an encampment. Change mercenaries policy to only offer a discount when standing on a emcampment as well. This boosts the value of encampments, does anyone build those???
Yes. Great generals have great value and I very much prefer units that have experience gain bonuses. The buildings also give production and housing. I don't make them in every city. Usually just a few depending on city placement vs potential conflict.

Top Bottom