Limited Passive XP Gain For Units

Fenwicked

Chieftain
There's currently an odd caveat with Civs that have experienced little warfare where, outside of unique units, it's often better to sell old units and build them again rather than upgrading them; both because the cost of upgrades gets to be very high, and because the old units will likely have much less XP than new ones in the mid-to-late-game. I was thinking then that having a way to grant gradual, limited XP gain to units might be valuable. This could be done by granting units that are fortified in fortresses and citadels, and that start their turn at full health (to prevent passive XP gain during combat), 1 or 2 XP per turn. The total amount of XP that can be gained this way should be on par with what a new unit would be granted when built, and could therefore be based on either buildings present in the city that owns the fortified tile (which is ideal for maximizing the value of the teocalli and Brandenburg Gate), or it could just scale with era along side fortress/citadel yields.

This could be done by granting units that are fortified in fortresses and citadels, and that start their turn at full health (to prevent passive XP gain during combat), 1 or 2 XP per turn.
this would be my approach, with some cap. But the AI won't rotate units correctly to optimize

this would be my approach, with some cap. But the AI won't rotate units correctly to optimize
I imagine there's gotta be a way to finagle in some level of implementation for the AI. If they can be convinced to rotate wounded units (though to be fair they still aren't that great about it) you'd think they could also be convinced to compare a unit's current XP level to its potential maximum and weight that against whatever it currently uses to evaluate the usefulness of fortifying a unit in a particular spot.

Does sound kinda complicated writing it out tho lol

I think it's more tricky than it sounds to us DLL outsiders.

Given AI limitations it's probably best to make this very broadly available, my own personal tastes notwithstanding
Yeah and I doubt even the players would enjoy if we go for something that needs rotation, the late-game definitely doesn't need more micro. I thought about making it so that the city provides +1XP to fortified/inactive units within its borders, capped at the XP a newly generated unit gets. IIRC each military building gives 15XP, so a unit recruited earlier would catch up in 15 turns. Maybe +0.5XP/30 turn catch-up would be better, not sure if the code allows for decimals though.

Yeah and I doubt even the players would enjoy if we go for something that needs rotation, the late-game definitely doesn't need more micro. I thought about making it so that the city provides +1XP to fortified/inactive units within its borders, capped at the XP a newly generated unit gets. IIRC each military building gives 15XP, so a unit recruited earlier would catch up in 15 turns. Maybe +0.5XP/30 turn catch-up would be better, not sure if the code allows for decimals though.
This is probably a better implementation of the idea, yeah. I don't really mind micro-managing the hell outta everything myself, so I guess I tend not to think out that sort of logistical stuff as much as I should.
Your take would probably also be a lot more AI-friendly too~

There already exists an improvement ability to give XP to the unit stationed on it every turn. There is also one to give XP each turn only during golden ages. I use the GA-only one for the unique improvement for the Macedon civ.

Top Bottom