Live stream "Masterclass: Faction Strategies" Friday, Sept 26 at 2pm EST

Question: Is it best to double down on a sponsor's bonus when picking cargo, virtues, tech, ... or diversify?

Probably the best (but least useful) answer is "yes" (since your question has an "or" in it). Just as in other iterations of Civ, you always have the question, should I double-down on my civ's unique attributes/units or should I use those unique attributes/units to buy some time to pursue a different path?

The classic CiV example is: should you open Honor when playing as Aztecs? On the one hand, you want to farm barbs as Aztecs to generate culture, so perhaps you should open Honor for more culture from barb kills, the barb combat bonus, and better knowledge about barb camps. On the other hand, perhaps you should ignore Honor and use the Aztec's culture-from-kills to motor your way through Tradition all the faster, to start farming the Aztec's real bonus -- potentially superior population growth, yielding better science, etc. Having thought about that one at some length, I think the answer is "Yes" to both, depending on what you want to accomplish, what the map looks like, and your difficulty level (e.g., on Deity, the AI will clear most barbs before you know it, so culture-from-barb-kills is going to be much less significant than it is, e.g., on Prince).

Of course, in BE, you won't know the map before picking cargo, etc., so the decision is probably more difficult than that example would imply.

Sweet, looking forward to this even more now. Any chance it will be longer than the hour or so the other streams were? (But not too long, I can only watch until 4:00!:p)

Not sure. Pete does have a lot to do, and 60min/(8 factions+Q&A+random talky) == pretty tight schedule.

Probably the best (but least useful) answer is "yes" (since your question has an "or" in it). Just as in other iterations of Civ, you always have the question, should I double-down on my civ's unique attributes/units or should I use those unique attributes/units to buy some time to pursue a different path?

Ofc, you can try it and see if it's a good fit, then switch it out and try something different.

BE: "Pray for Options and then be Cursed with Decisions." :D

Exactly. Strategy games where there is only one "best" course isn't strategy -- it's "paint by numbers" or tic-tac-toe.

Not sure. Pete does have a lot to do, and 60min/(8 factions+Q&A+random talky) == pretty tight schedule.

Firaxicon is nigh! There are things that must be done! I am going to be running around like Gandalf in Return of the King.

Which raises the question of why I am on Civfanatics right now.:confused:

This is slightly impractical. If the game was changed to where no diplomatic action had immediate consequence -- You send an Open Borders request, you don't find out about it until next turn -- then that would be possible. As is, given the 'immediate' nature of diplo actions, we can't have the AI skip their turn waiting for you to decline their offer. The AI needs to use the Diplo system the same way you do, which means that they need to popup during their turn to ask you about things.

I was mostly talking about the Denouncements and Declarations of Friendships.

Mainly the whole scenario of "Yes Catherine, I don't care if you just signed a DOF with three different leaders that I've also got a DOF in as many turns. You've been constantly signing with them since the classical era!" and "Alexander sends me insult or denouncement number seventeen."

For actual sending me deals or asking me if I want to sign a DOF I'm fine with the diplo screen popping up. But when I'm killing a spy every five turns and people are asking for forgiveness, and some war monger's pissed off I kicked him off to some frozen island he settled and sending drunken polaroids of his hairy balls to try and insult me every chance he gets and my responses are "eh" and "shake fist angrily", it gets a bit annoying quickly.

I'm pretty sure that I will enjoy and use Covert Ops much more in BE than I did in previous Civ games. I actually look forward to playing games with a preconceived Covert-Ops bias.

What are you doing with all that floatstone? I don't see any units using it...buildings or trade perhaps?

Never mind, they don't seem to be improved yet...

You are having -19 health in that pic. Will it have effect on something else than culture, science and worse defence against covert ops? Will you get rebels or will it affect your production? It does not seem to affect growth.

Let me guess, population starts dying at -20 health. I mean it isn't actually food in that people start dying as soon as there isn't enough to go around.

Also, is it weird that my brain actually reads MadDjinn's posts in his voice?

Or there is some diplomatic horsetrading going on.

Top Bottom