[BTS] livinginaz and Plains-Cow Play 1000AD France

Endgame:

Spoiler Update #4 pictures and text continued; endgame :

20221110153823_1.jpg

So I got up during an end-turn to use the bathroom, and I come back to find Kiev surrounded by fallout. I can scrub it soon, but, uh, what? I checked the event log, and I can't tell what happened. It's the only nuke-like event that happened in the game. Nobody else dropped any bombs, and I didn't build any reactors. Maybe Peter had one there I didn't notice and it melted down? Some Chernobyl event that happens in the Modern Era? lol

20221110160053_1.jpg

I decide it's time to take out the rest of the bit-players at the same time as I sweep south through China. The Khmer are toast, and they go down quickly, surely making Justinian supremely pleased.

20221110162207_1.jpg

A barb city spawns in Siberia, perhaps the remnants of Mongolia? Paid bandits? Dissident reindeer herders? You decide!

20221110163203_1.jpg

Well, that's the end of that.

20221110164053_1.jpg

I decide to just blitz through the Khmer with my tanks, which perform great. Suryavarman's down in less than 5 turns. There are about 10 fortified defenders here on this hill with city garrison perks. This is a good chance to show just what tanks can do against these kinds of units in entrenched situations.

20221110164103_1.jpg

Aftermath. Despite not the best odds at first, the tanks with City Raider just maul the defenders, even with full cultural defenses intact.

20221110165655_1.jpg

China surrenders to the might of France, securing all of the green tea that we could ever hope to drink for an eternity, which was the real war aim of Louis XIV. Funny under-bite face for comedic surrender effect; it's sure to play well in the papers back home in Paris.

20221110165726_1.jpg

The Viking raiders are finally brought to heel, no longer able to hide behind the Great Wall of their Chinese masters.

20221110165839_1.jpg

The Khmer capitulate the same turn as well, netting me three new vassals at the same time. I've kicked everyone off the mainland, though, so all they hold are nonsense island cities and a few holdings in Australia.

20221110170340_1.jpg

Domination win! The French celebrate from the Pacific to the Atlantic, having overcome many struggles to create the France Louis XIV dreamed of. Will it hold together? Only time will tell, but as long as the Sun King lives, the golden globe will never set on the French Empire!

...and there you have it! My first game posted to the forum! I hope that you enjoyed the ride; I know I had fun playing! Hats off to my co-player, livinginaz, for playing Monarch and pulling off a space victory.

For those who are curious, here's the aftermath and my score:

Spoiler Aftermath and Score :

20221110170732_1.jpg

Here you can see Peter signing a defensive pact with Qin Shi Huang right before I declare war on him. Of course, I see that as my moment of truth, and I don't let that stop me.

20221110171027_1.jpg

Score graph.

20221110171032_1.jpg

Demographics.

20221110171137_1.jpg

Unit building/killing. I only settled 6 cities lol.

20221110171052_1.jpg

Top cities.

20221110171148_1.jpg

Final score.

Last edited:
Good games. I‘m glad I was able to pull off the victory, though compared to Domination the space race seems like a cop out. I don’t believe I’ve won a domination on Civ IV, only on Civ III.

Funny to me that not only did Justinian go after Sury like he did in my game, but that Sury was such a major power at least in score. If I recall a nuclear power plant has a chance to meltdown, which may explain the fallout you saw.

Good games. I‘m glad I was able to pull off the victory, though compared to Domination the space race seems like a cop out. I don’t believe I’ve won a domination on Civ IV, only on Civ III.

Funny to me that not only did Justinian go after Sury like he did in my game, but that Sury was such a major power at least in score. If I recall a nuclear power plant has a chance to meltdown, which may explain the fallout you saw.
Hey, it's not a cop-out if you needed to re-adjust and still win the race to space. Sometimes you need to change tactics.

I think Justinian goes for people who are not only out of his faith but also weaker in power. Perhaps that's why he goes for Sury?

I've heard the same about nuclear power, but I never build them for that very reason. I thought they would give me an event or something that talks about it at least. I checked in the post-game and there was nothing unique that happened during that time.

Hey, it's not a cop-out if you needed to re-adjust and still win the race to space. Sometimes you need to change tactics.

I think Justinian goes for people who are not only out of his faith but also weaker in power. Perhaps that's why he goes for Sury?

I've heard the same about nuclear power, but I never build them for that very reason. I thought they would give me an event or something that talks about it at least. I checked in the post-game and there was nothing unique that happened during that time.
I likewise never build nuclear plants for that reason. I looked it up and apparently they meltdown frequently enough to be a problem, and the effect is identical to a nuke being dropped on the city.

I likewise never build nuclear plants for that reason. I looked it up and apparently they meltdown frequently enough to be a problem, and the effect is identical to a nuke being dropped on the city.
I figured that there'd be something like an event that says it in the post-game roundup of occurrences, but there wasn't one. I might build a reactor in a city in the future just to see what the game says when one melts down, or if it melts down and you don't know until you happen to spot the radioactive waste.

I don't think you get much notification. Maybe in the top scroll bar log, but reactor meltdown otherwise just screws up the city/terrain and it is very easy to miss seeing it happen if you're huge.

Reactor meltdown = nuke was always something I found completely ridiculous in Civ 4. The worst meltdown in history wasn't even close to a tac nuke in damage, and in terms of IRL nuclear plant count/operational hours vs anything with lasting wide-scale fallout damage enough to take up tiles on a civ map, that was the only one that could even make a case. The frequency in Civ 4 is similarly ridiculous. Stuff like 3 mile island would be better represented by just deleting the plant and nothing else. It's annoying that these meltdowns still happen even with events off, and are given way more adverse consequences than more lethal means of generating IRL power too.

I don't think you get much notification. Maybe in the top scroll bar log, but reactor meltdown otherwise just screws up the city/terrain and it is very easy to miss seeing it happen if you're huge.

Reactor meltdown = nuke was always something I found completely ridiculous in Civ 4. The worst meltdown in history wasn't even close to a tac nuke in damage, and in terms of IRL nuclear plant count/operational hours vs anything with lasting wide-scale fallout damage enough to take up tiles on a civ map, that was the only one that could even make a case. The frequency in Civ 4 is similarly ridiculous. Stuff like 3 mile island would be better represented by just deleting the plant and nothing else. It's annoying that these meltdowns still happen even with events off, and are given way more adverse consequences than more lethal means of generating IRL power too.
I guess they really wanted to nerf nuclear plants? I don't know what makes Firaxis hate them so much, but eh. I don't build them regardless. I never want to risk the fallout, especially if there are fully-developed towns around. Awful.

Top Bottom