1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LK Planning thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by LKendter, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

I agree that we need a minimum of four players. We haven't heard from CB, of course.

2. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

I think I remember playing Argentina which was the easiest of the South American civs because its only got one front. After some thought I am willing to play another game. We have done Brazil but not in their normal place. Do we choose the 3rd - That is the Aztecs right? Might be interesting.

3. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

The third is Venezuela--probably the worst South American start of all.

4. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

LK32 was Brazil, LK101 was Argentina.

Venezuela has never seen play time as far as I can tell. They never do well in SA.

LK152 - the weak Venezuela
    Signed up:
    LKendter
    Elephantium
    Northern Pike
    Greebley
    I want to get reconfirm on the above 3, and then I will start.

5. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Confirm

6. LKendter

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Elephantium
    Northern Pike
    Greebley (confirm)
    I want to get reconfirm on the above 2, and then I will start.

We still have room for a fifth.

7. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

8. LKendter

Signed up:
    LKendter
    Elephantium (confirm)
    Northern Pike
    Greebley (confirm)
    I want to get reconfirm on the above 1, and then I will start.

9. Northern Pike

Northern Pike Deity

Confirming. :rockon:

Some thoughts about our start as Venezuela:

1. Our first forty-turn run should be on Mysticism. With only five other civs in the Americas, we'll have a reasonable chance of getting a local monopoly on it.

2. I notice that Venezuela starts with two workers. Since they're fast CCM workers, I'd suggest that one of them--from the first turn--should dash up through Mexico before it's blocked by Aztec cities, to make very early contact with the Aztecs, Sioux, and Americans. This might let us get some trade value out of our initial techs, after which the worker can come home.

3. As soon as we have a city on the Pacific coast, a curragh built there will be able to make its way to Siberia and Asia without risk. A curragh trying to reach Europe via Greenland and Iceland would have to make two dangerous jumps, so in that case we can probably wait for galleys.

4. Since we're almost guaranteed a miserable early position, I assume we'll want the Great Library. My experience is that if there's any delay at all, a South American civ will lose the GLib to one in the Old World. So I'd recommend that our second city, founded on a river if at all possible, should build a cheap temple (we're religious and militaristic) and then proceed directly to the palace pre-build.

10. LKendter

Will get a game started tonight.

11. LKendter

12. LKendter

Please use this for game standby, and ready to start.
    If the new CCM appears, we can try that.
    If not, world map with Australia will be far tougher the LK26 with Indonesia fighting for the islands.

Standing by for next game:
    LKendter

13. LKendter

LKendter
    Elephantium (at least CCM)

14. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Tentative sign-up for World Map, not CCM. Have times eased from 24/48, because that's brutal for me on a massive map like World....

15. LKendter

These maps can't be played 24 / 48. I've had end game take over an hour for one year. Some of the last of game with the chain city captures, rail up to the next city, (repeat)..

LKendter (wm and CCM, wm preferred)
    Arathorn (wm)

16. HardCode

HardCode Chieftain

You guys are great players; I am not. But I always wanted to get into an SG. If a weak player who will need lots of help is okay, I'm interested in giving it a try. I'm just worried I'd ruin a game :(

17. Greebley

Greebley Deity Supporter

Well after 500 episodes of the show I was watching, I am sufficiently overloaded on it to want a break for civ now and then. I will watch the next few hundred episodes at a slower pace.

I would like to join the Australia game.

I would say 'yes' for the new player but make the difficulty 'demi-god' rather than deity. I wouldn't mind a less intense demi-god game for a change - deity is really hard on these big maps. Some errors won't mess us up at demi-god.

18. LKendter

LKendter (wm and CCM, wm preferred)
    Arathorn (wm)
    Greebley (wm)

@HardCode - what is the level you normally play?

We may be close to starting another. I want at least 4 going.
    Australia will be a lot more challenging with Indonesia competing for the islands.

19. HardCode

HardCode Chieftain

All different levels. Some days I play Chieftan to relax, but lately I've upped it to Regent to relax since I've learned quite a bit from reading many threads in Stories and Tales and SGs. Especially your SGs and any with CommandoBob, Lanzelot, Railuven, and Elephantium. I feel that I need to play at minimum Monarch for any kind of AI challenge now. I also play the whole spectrum of map and land size mixes.

Recently I tried an OCC at Monarch as Vikings, had a great small starting island, but I didn't balance my military builds and ended up having to revert to a normal game. Trondheim ended up with 20K, so I would have won if I stayed OCC, but when they landed Cavalry I got overwhelmed and thought I needed more cities to defend.

I've tried Emperor and Demi-God before, but I don't have the opening turn MM skills to consistently maintain a winning position yet. But I have won a few at Emperor and once at Demi-God. And I never used CivAssist yet, which seems mandatory at higher levels, so I'd lose out on trade opportunities.

Out of curiosity, I once played a small Pangea at Sid with a "build no military" variant. I was hemmed in from the start with close AI capitals, but I managed to survive quite a long time until the Mayas just declared and walked into my cities :eek:.

With such a strong SG team you guys have, and with a little patience to answer questions I'll surely have during a turn set, I think I can handle this SG. If you'll have me, just put me at the bottom of the roster so I don't have to do (mess up!) the opening moves.

I think joining an SG will force me to bare down and focus to improve my playing.

20. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

Count me in for Australia