1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

(LOCKED) Going for Gold: Wonders

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Stalker0, May 23, 2018.

?

Is this item in a reasonable state of balance?

Poll closed Jun 6, 2018.
  1. Yes

93.3%
  2. No

6.7%
  1. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I just realized I stopped building Alhambra lately. Its an okay bonus, but really mediocre compared to other military wonders

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  2. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

I like the jinete promotion in concept, I just don’t think its specific bonuses are doing the trick.

I think drill is comparable in power to what we want, but the problem was it was a stem promotion that locked your melee units into that specific progression and felt like it was limiting your options, rather than giving you more. making the wonder more specific to mounted melee is fine, but it also means the promotion needs to be more powerful than drill I because it is locked to strategics and less flexible (poor Zulu...)

Jinete
    Mounted melee only
    +10% CS
    +25% vs cities and fortified units
    10 damage to adjacent units on kills

so it would be an anti-infantry promotion like that, give the same all-around CS as drill, and then stack with Overrun to give a potential 25 damage on adjacent kills. Sweden can already do a similar thing with the Carolean’s grenadier promotion. Also it would mitigate the cavalry line’s city malus. Naming the promotion after the people who conquered Alhambra instead of the people who built it makes me think that there should be some bonus vs cities in there. Though I understand if the overlap with statue of Zeus isn’t welcome

civplayer33 likes this.
  3. civplayer33

civplayer33 King

Looks good to me! I want to stress again, however, that it should not be lost on upgrade, because otherwise you'll have an era where you push out those new mounted units after building Alhambra (typically Medieval) and then in Renaissance with the upgrades you just lose all those promotions and since you don't want to throw away promoted, combat-tested units you will only build rather few additional mounted so Jinete will be rarely seen anymore if it is lost on upgrade...we could simply reduce the numbers you gave slightly, if necessary, to prevent making it OP (I don't think it is, though, personally).