1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Locking district costs

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Mahi, May 21, 2019.

1. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

I am currently trying to figuring out a way to mod district costs with a hybrid model mixing previous copies and tech progression.
    Indeed, with a production modifier penalty it is too easy to simply chop a building/unit with 1 turn left and complete the district avoiding the production modifier penalty altogether.

Sostratus likes this.
  2. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

@Sostratus Say, hypothetically, one was very slowly trying to create a lite mod to address some of these balancing issues, then how would you price units and buildings?

To my mind, Melee and Naval units should sort of end up cheaper to produce over time - so you can have larger and larger armies and feel like your increased production actually achieves something - but there should also be new high end units that are very production intensive to produce. The game sort of does that already - eg GDR.

I think buildings should probably just be the same cost across tiers generally, although perhaps their maintenance cost should increased based in Government Level (so, you either have to hold off more buildings or taking higher government levels if you don't have enough gold).

3. Mahi

Mahi Chieftain

While the discussion of modifiying the whole production cost vs districts is very relevant (I do believe it needs tweaking somehow) my main problem with this setup is that the AI doesn't use it. I feel like it's plain cheating. However I guess the AI do chop districts?

Regarding chopping I always hear people saying "just chop till you drop", even when talking about late game. Depending on the map type, forests can be sparse at the end game since you already chopped alot in the early/mid game. Do people plant forest to chop late game or where do people get all these forest tiles from?

I mean when someone asks if people actually hard-produce a military unit instead of chopping that must mean he/she has loads of forest tiles at disposal, if his claim is that you never really have to produce a unit since you can just chop?

4. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Planted forests don't give anything when chopped. You can settle any remaining random spots that have forests, especially those in unwanted tundra, or capture cities that have forests/stone.

But yes, by the time late game rolls around, I just upgrade older units or buy them.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I have even bought 3 biplanes before.

I have played non chopping games before but the bottom line is they just take a lot longer and I struggle with the long game concentration. Also it is the only real mechanic that keeps pace with these inflating costs.
    I have chopped in loads of redcoats quite a few times but did not really need to, I just wanted the industrial era to fell like England again, that’s why I miss pax, I expect to see redcoats aplenty rather than 1 for era score but that UU argument is another old fish.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Sostratus likes this.
  6. Sostratus

Sostratus Warlord

I posted a response here so as not to clutter up this thread.

At higher difficulties, players are usually quite efficient at killing the AI's military, so their standing armies are smaller than they would be in the hands of an average player. (They build 'just enough' to take out their opponent.) Units also almost never die and thus don't need to be replaced. This means that their military production is already very front-loaded because they don't have to build replacements, so they are only chopping in a handful of units (and they actually do build some things like warriors early.) The old chop overflow mechanic in vanilla and RF pretty much ingrained the reliance on chopping because you could magically multiply production. But even without that, why would you pay 100% of the unit cost in production when you can just pay half the upgrade cost using the cards - the upgrade cost which, by the way, is already much cheaper than buying a unit outright.

It's very counter to the RTS mindset where you should boom/focus eco right up until you physically NEED an army on the ground, then produce one as fast as you can. Instead, upgrading units is so cheap, that it's better from a pure economic perspective to build the army you need in the past and invest the savings from upgrades into your economy. For example, it costs 2600 gold to buy a mechanized infantry unit. It costs just 1230 gold to upgrade a warrior to a mechanized infantry, or 615 gold with the card. FYI, the base upgrade cost is 2*(prod cost difference between units) +10 gold, while the cost to rush buy anything is four times its production cost in gold.

7. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Chieftain

Can anyone confirm this: districts now cost 54 to 540 hammers?
    I am pretty sure it used to be 60 to 600 hammers.
    I am not sure when exactly the change happened?

8. criZp

criZp Warlord

I think the district base cost was reduced a bit in a patch soon after launch of the base game

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Nope, 60-600 about 1.5 years ago.
    May have come on with the new era, I can check out in a days time if no-one else does.

10. smvalentine

smvalentine Chieftain Supporter

Summer 2017 update (v167) patch notes mention:
    • Reduced the cost of the Aqueduct by 30%, and Sewers by 50%
    • Reduced cost of all other districts by 10%
    • Increased the discount for districts you have less of from 25% to 40%
    • Increased costs of district buildings by 10% (except Aerodrome buildings), and increased per settler cost bump by 50%

Kjimmet, DanQuayle and Victoria like this.
  11. incroc

incroc Chieftain

This mechanic actually helps me plan my districts better. I'm forced to think about what and where quite some time before I finish it.

Victoria and acluewithout like this.