Lost my first game (Religion), confused.

PurpleHaze34

Chieftain
I played a lot of Civ V. I decided to play on settler / duel random civs for my first game of Civ VI, only 2 civs me and the AI. I am a bit ashamed to say I lost on settler difficulty, haha.

The confusion: I saw a missionary next to my second city. Clearly saw my third city was converted. When I clicked on City info of my Holy City it said I had 0 followers of Taoism, no mention of Catholicism (my religion). The Catholic Cross was still on my holy city. I went to the religion menu and it said I had 10 Catholics out of 12 in my Holy City. Also Jakarta was Catholic. I left that menu hit next turn and lost.

Is this a bug? why would my city view say 0 followers and my Religion view say 10. I honestly didn't see the loss coming.

I think the city info is confusing and it only shows followers of other religions (or something). I never look at it at all.

As to why you lost - you mentioned your third city was converted, and a missionary was near your 2nd city. So, when you clicked 'next turn', that missionary converted your 2nd city, and you lost, since you only need to convert a majority of other civilization, not all of it (so they didn't need to bother with your capital/holy city).

TL/DR: always disable religious victory in duel mode :D

Thanks for the fast response! I totally should have killed that missionary next to my 2nd city...

And yes I will disable religious victory in duel mode OR be very focused on religion spread myself.

In Civ V, you'd get a pretty big notification that someone was making progress on culture victory. Is there something similar for religious?

The biggest warning I got was the turn before religious death I was using space bar to "no action" my troops and it wouldn't toggle to "next turn" until I clicked "no action" on each troop. I guess the game was trying to say "maybe you should use this archer next to this missionary."

Top Bottom