Lost resources

Which lost resouces do you miss the most?

• Seals

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Buffalo

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Peat

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Pheasant

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Tobacco

Votes: 22 16.8%
  • Rubber

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • Saltpeter

Votes: 25 19.1%

• Total voters
Saltpeter, it does not make any sense of having gunpowder units, otherwise.

I wonder why they deleted the seals from Civ 1. They made tundra a little bit better, and is an important food resource in the Arctic.

The deletion of rubber made no sense at all.

I agree, there should be some xtras in the tundra/ice

josephstalin said:
Given that saltpeter can literally be made of crap, having it as a strategic resource made rather limited sense from the start.

I voted for Peat and I am the only one it seems. :crazyeye: Back in the day when they had swamp terrain, peat was really good and had very good production. That and I have a good friend named Pete (big Civ fan) so we used to always tease him about that. It didn't have to be a good reason. :p That and it looked really funky. Like a spiral galaxy.
I suppose without swamp you really can't have peat though. *Sigh*

Rubber. Its so important for many modern units, it seems strange that it isn't a resource still.

josephstalin said:

Saltpeter can be both mined or made with a gross mixture of urine and common minerals found in normal soil. Having saltpeter as a resources is therefore useless if it can be created manually. The process of making saltpeter has been done for a while and came before the advent of modern chemistry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate <- This is Saltpeter

There isn't swamp or wetland in Civ 4 either. Are you thinking of rice? That looks fairly swampy when unimproved. Peat hasn't been in the game since Civ 2

Rubber. I think they did good to remove saltpeter as it is an worldwide abundant resource to the best of my knowledge, so it would be the same thing as having a wood resource...

cork would also be nice, but this is only my patriotism speaking :D

I don't miss saltpeater

Namely because I usually never had any.

how about villages can reveal to you a rescource which other players cant see and use?

EDIT:
rubber and tobaco.... came from villages who revealed them

I guess I miss rubber, it was quite important in Civ3 after all.
The Last Conformist said:
Given that saltpeter can literally be made of crap, having it as a strategic resource made rather limited sense from the start.
I concur.

Rubber was the best and would make jungles actually worthy of not being chopped down:ack:.

Was tobacco actually a resource? You couldn't trade it. It was more of a bonus, if you could call it that.

I remember it just being annoying, because it would give you +1 gold, but didn't give you happy benefits, and lowered the chances of you getting a valuable resource in it's place.

I miss bonus grassland tiles :)

Rubber because it is used in so many things. I guess the only reason it was removed was because synthetic rubber can be made, but it is usually mixed with natural rubber anyway. All the other rescoures listed aren't really needed anymore since there are so many resources already. And Saltpeter became obsolete early on anyway.

I'd say rubber, but it needs to be able to be synthesized (though expensively), as does oil at a certain point.

I was never a fan of saltpeter as a resource, as you cant "find" saltpeter. How about the most useless resource in CIV. I would have to say whale. Too hard to get at and too short a life span. I have yet to build a whaling boat. I guess whales are represented better then in Civ 2, Where I won a tiny deity game building a spaceship out of whale blubber.

Top Bottom