Lost Worlds Mod Beta Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by KingArthur, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

King Arthur... no hurry as I am putting together another Update for this Year and probably will not have it until toward the end of this year.
    Still you could try the game out as it is now. Be sure to get the EFZI2 Elite not Complete :)

2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

If I can do anything to help with PCXs ... I still have the files for what we were working on back then as well as a lot of other images to work from for techs, wonders, splash screens etc.

3. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

Awesome, I could use some help. I'll PM you a link to the latest version and a modest request.

4. Blue Monkey

I can't currently play civ - don't have the computer with proper OS set up atm while redoing work area. But I can certainly look at the scenario files and take it from there. :)

EDIT: our old project subforum is still there, including the "devs only" section. Just sayin' ;)

KingArthur likes this.
  5. KingArthur

Ah well. I was going to ask if you could put arrows on the adviser pcxs which probably needs you fire up Civ3.

6. Blue Monkey

I don't think so. It's likely to just be a separate pcx file. If you mean the tech tree screen, that I can model from a fullsize screenshot. & As a matter of fact, i've got "steam pipe" graphics almost completely finished for use instead of arrows. With matching frames for the tech boxes.

7. KingArthur

Ok People of Earth I have a quandary I need your help to solve.

I have freed up two Civ spots by jiggling the continent of Europe.

This stemmed from a shift in the timeline back to the dawn of the 19th century and balancing issues (Europe needed to be beefed up to face the might of Russia and the Ottoman Empire).

So out go Spain and Italy which are absorbed by Napoleonic France and the Kontinental Allianz respectively.

Which two civs should go into the Mod. I have some suggestions but please feel free to suggest more. My suggestions however are based on the free land available on the map.

Vote or nominate your favourite!

Moon
    Automaton (Robot) Civ "evolved" from first probes from Earth sent by ballistic flight. Leader would of course be V'Ger (brownie points if you get the reference).

Mars
    An H.G Wells inspired War of the Worlds Martian Civ. Tripods Baby!!

Pellucidar
    Korsars (Pirates) of Pellucidar
    Xexots (Bronze Age level Civ) of Pellucidar

Earth
    Abyssinia
    Zulu
    Great Zimbabwe (fictional)
    Dogon (not fictional but their manifestation will be)
    California (fictional in this timeline)
    Texas (will need some rejigging of Mexico and expansion beyond historical borders)
    Mongolia (something to suppress Russia or China bloat)
    Aztlan (fictional Aztec original homeland civ)
    Ruritania (fictional eastern european civ)

Other
    Planet Mongo (which would need modification to the map to fit somewhere between Mars and the Moon). Who doesn't love a bit of Flash Gordon!

VOTE HERE:
    https://linkto.run/p/WV1P09RK

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  8. KingArthur

Let's reform the Secret Society. See you in the smoking room for Brandy and Cigars (or coffee if that's what you still prefer).

9. Blue Monkey

Given the excellent Selenites & Tharks ( which were made at Balthasar's request iirc) I'd vote for those two civs.

As an alternative how about a "Lost Kingdom" non-player civ?* Cherrypick some of the more unusual pre-gunpowder units from all over. Limit their ability to expand (no settlers?). Instead give them a few small easily defended starting locations sitting on rare resources, along with some unusual and highly desirable small wonders.

* Something analogous to the Malacca Pirates in Rambuchan's Mughal Empire scenario.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  10. KingArthur

Hi Blue, Selenites and Tharks are already in. A Lost Kingdom is a cool idea though

11. KingArthur

Ok, I've filled the 2 spare civ spots:

The Secret Society and Vril-Ya (both were in Balthasar's original mod).

He had Vril-Ya start on the moon which I've replicated. Vril-Ya are just your typical civ with a superiority complex who build flying saucers to conquer other planets.

The Secret Society start on Earth with city spots representing areas where they are trying to plot uprisings to disrupt the old world order e.g. Zululand, Paraguay, Apacheria, Haiti, Sudan. Their shtick is the building of small wonders (representing uprisings/rebellions) which auto-produce weak units every 2 or so turns (possibly with zero upkeep) - Blue Monkey's inspiration. They also start with various strong units that use the enslave ability to spawn others but apart from that not recommended for human play (yet).

12. MartinLuther

MartinLuther look at this kawaii anime boy i found :)

Oh yeah CivArmy did a Xenomorph unit: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sci-fi-unit-alien-the-8th-passager.110093/

KingArthur likes this.
  13. KingArthur

Unit Lines for the new civs added - screenshots below. The discerning viewer will note the deliberate absence of the Secret Society...

Earth civs have a lot more variety but for conciseness I have only presented the Europeans.

tjs282 likes this.
  14. KingArthur

Oh yeah, I didn't mention the inclusion of the Zeta Reticulans (Zetans) / Invaders of Mars. What Lost Worlds scientific romance Mod wouldn't be complete without the appearance of an H.G. Wells inspired War of the Worlds?

If anyone has suggestions for the missing units (grey boxes) please post them. At this point I can overcome the balance issues by either making these units stronger, cheaper or by reducing the prerequisite resources. Zetans don't really need cavalry as they will have early access to a huge space gun with which they can even travel to the Earth in cylinders*.

*"This was a common representation of space travel in the nineteenth century, and had also been used by Jules Verne in From the Earth to the Moon. Modern scientific understanding renders this idea impractical, as it would be difficult to control the trajectory of the gun precisely, and the force of the explosion necessary to propel the cylinder from the Martian surface to the Earth would likely kill the occupants". [Wikipedia].

But why let facts spoil a good idea...

Proper (human) space travel will be via an enclosed sphere first invented to explore the depths of the ocean but adapted with the latest propulsion system that generates thrust by ionizing the air with a high voltage. With the benefit of a cavorite coating the ionocraft becomes more efficient and faster. ;)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  15. KingArthur

Complete Civ list. Which one would you play as first?

Civ Name
    The Amoz
    The Confederacy
    The Mahar
    The Secret Society
    China
    Iron Khanate
    Japan
    Siam
    Australia
    Canada
    France
    Gran Colombia
    Kontinental Allianz
    Mexico
    Nordic Union
    Portugal
    Russia
    The Commonwealth
    USA
    Great Old Ones
    Helium
    Zetans
    Selenites
    Tartarus
    Thark Horde
    Vril-ya
    Barbary States
    India
    Mali
    Oman
    Ottoman Empire

16. MartinLuther

What is Kontinental Allianz? :think:

Also, I can't wait to play as The Great Old Ones. :mwaha:

17. KingArthur

the kontinental Allianz is basically the allied European countries against napoleon. Think Holy Roman Empire but neither holy, Roman or an empire.

Prussian/Austrian/German dominated hence the google translation of continental alliance. Previously I had separate euro civs but they were far too weak in comparison to their neighbours: the ottomans and Russia.

MartinLuther likes this.
  18. MartinLuther

So like the actual Holy Roman Empire? :p

Jokes aside, that sounds very cool. You could probably use the Hussar and Napoleonic Infantry in the game for them since they fit in so well with the theme. It'd also be very fitting if someone could make some of the Clanker machines from the Leviathan trilogy for their Robot Infantry, Land Ironclads, etc.

19. KingArthur

Exactly that :)

That would be really cool.

MartinLuther likes this.
  20. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

KingArthur...That's quite a unit line up you have there :wow:

I definitely appreciate the difficulty of obtaining the units wanted and especially for the desired unique units.

I like the way you are going about developing the Game... Very thorough and organized :goodjob:

What position do you have the Moglin in? ... or is that a secret?