Lots of log rams?

crossclayton

Warlord
Im not sure if this has been brought up before, but i find that some civs seem to go all out on making log rams.

They have gone on to make armies of log rams and 1 or 2 melee units, then they get swamped by another civ who made a mob of maceman and axemen.

Interesting. That suggests that we've got things tooled right in between both extremes and yet both extremes are still being evidenced. So now it's just a matter of fixing the AI entirely from the ground up. Which is the intent for next version's efforts.

I haven't seen much ram spam (whether log or battering) in a while? Actually, I only remember seeing very few battering rams lately, especially compared to the old spam. (But I think I recall some kind of artificial limits were placed on them somehow? Not a national limit but something else.) I play SVN though; obviously, the old problems would still exist if the original poster is playing v36.

What I do actually see is lots of tamed animals. Especially breeding wolves, presumably because of their 7 strength, even if they can only defend. That said, in my current game I actually lost a few workers to things like tamed lions and buffalo - units the AI probably shouldn't be using as military units. Clearly, if the AI is deciding to build them and use them for more than the buildings they create, they meet some kind of criteria for that purpose (cost vs strength vs perhaps movement?), but one would think that in any situation in which a tamed animal is a viable military force, a wardog or calvary would be a better choice. If this is an "issue" (I consider it to be one insofar as a human player probably wouldn't use them for a military purpose, even to destroy workers, but not a priority by any means), perhaps they could just be all brought down to 1 strength?

I should mention, though, that I currently play games with only the science victory enabled, which probably has an effect on what the AI builds, even when I am actively at war with one. This could explain why I see very few rams - that is, if the AI isn't trying for conquest, it may not build up to capture cities, even when it declares war as a result of diplomatic modifiers (close, threatened, religion).

I haven't seen much ram spam (whether log or battering) in a while? Actually, I only remember seeing very few battering rams lately, especially compared to the old spam. (But I think I recall some kind of artificial limits were placed on them somehow? Not a national limit but something else.) I play SVN though; obviously, the old problems would still exist if the original poster is playing v36.

What I do actually see is lots of tamed animals. Especially breeding wolves, presumably because of their 7 strength, even if they can only defend. That said, in my current game I actually lost a few workers to things like tamed lions and buffalo - units the AI probably shouldn't be using as military units. Clearly, if the AI is deciding to build them and use them for more than the buildings they create, they meet some kind of criteria for that purpose (cost vs strength vs perhaps movement?), but one would think that in any situation in which a tamed animal is a viable military force, a wardog or calvary would be a better choice. If this is an "issue" (I consider it to be one insofar as a human player probably wouldn't use them for a military purpose, even to destroy workers, but not a priority by any means), perhaps they could just be all brought down to 1 strength?

I should mention, though, that I currently play games with only the science victory enabled, which probably has an effect on what the AI builds, even when I am actively at war with one. This could explain why I see very few rams - that is, if the AI isn't trying for conquest, it may not build up to capture cities, even when it declares war as a result of diplomatic modifiers (close, threatened, religion).

I doubt that would have much impact on their military composition. But tamed animals are intended to be potentially useful as military units for a small sliver of time. Gives the era a 'flavor'. The true usefulness of them is somewhat dubious of course but if the AI isn't overdoing it then it would be ok for them to use them to a degree. Makes hunters a surprisingly military necessary unit for a small time.

Im not sure if this has been brought up before, but i find that some civs seem to go all out on making log rams.

They have gone on to make armies of log rams and 1 or 2 melee units, then they get swamped by another civ who made a mob of maceman and axemen.

What version of C2C are you playing? You failed to give that data which is necessary.

JosEPh

Top Bottom