"lucky AI"

batteryacid

Prince
Hi
During my last C3C game I was ready to smash my keyboard through the window and give up playing civ. The reason- "lucky" throws of the AI. I was during a war- campaign against an equal opponent (cultural, technological I was a bit ahead, with cav/rifles on both sides, playing on monarch). I attacked his cities (he was drafting rifles ) with 2 cav and one rifle army , (we both had a medium continent with 15 cities or so) and was able to capture the first city (was pop 2 then) with ease , then his conter with the expexted 15 cavs came and I lost some of my rifles. Then I went to the 2nd. city (all units on a mountain), captured the 2nd city (size 3 at this time), my armies went on (I splitted the armies in rifle army and cav army pillaging and , one cav army and some rifles in the 2. nd city)- what happened in ONE turn was: Lost cav and rifle army (which werde not on the same tile, but on hills) against 10 cavs total , the city FLIPPED away after one turn :mad: :mad: :mad: . Result: got one 2city on his continent, lost 3 armies, 8 cavs and 5 rifles in my 3 turn lasting "military campaign". Other "hints" of a lucky AI is: 10 bombers fail bombing run against one redlined rifle in a 3 big city, panzers loosing regulary against rifles (and not retreating) which are not in a hill/mountain or city etc. etc.- my revenge: bombers, bombers, bombers and ICBMs, ICBMS, ICBMs :ar15:

So I wanted to ask : is this normal? Have I got a "devilish" notebook (or civ version?) has a demon possesed my computer? Is a computer virus around which can do this?

Starve the city to size 1, and rush culture into the city. That should help to prevent it.

well, I wanted to do this, but the flippping came 1 turn after I conquested this city

In general it is only bad luck what you experience during your fights.It just happens sometimes, because is ist statsitical possible taht it happns.About city flipping: As Chieftess mentioned starving down and rushing culture helps.A more massive attack helps too, because you are able to take more cities in one turn,w hich menas that at least some of them have no foreign tiles in there production radius(which is the second source of flipping beside the foreign citizien).And about troops in conqeuered cities.You have basically to options:

1.Leave the city undefended and fortify your troops around it) or put in only a small garrison.Advantage: If it flips, you don't loose (too many) troops. Disadvantage: Resistors and Unhappiness are hard to quell, the city is as easy target to conquer back and there is a rule that positioning troops outside makes other cities you more likely to defect(to avoid possible exploiting).

2.Put in the city what you have.Advantages: Well defended, resistors and unhappiness are easy and fast quelled, the city is less likely to defect (it is possible to prevent flipping this way complete, but depending on city size etc. you will need a lot of troops.Somewhere out there on the forum is a formula which determines how many units you need...) Disadvantages: I think I must not explain any further what it means if this city flips...

Generally I would be careful with putting armies in those cities.Ok, they are often the best defenders, but it is just to risky IMO.Beside they can heal always outside on the battlefield.Best Garrison troops for police tasks in conquered cities are obsolete units.

Thannks for the nice advise- I know all this flipping stuff, i just wanted to complain somewhere - sometimes the game just can cost a lot of nerves ;) - by the way- has the AI an attak and defense bonus in the higher difficulty levels ?

MSTK said:
Up onto Regent, you have a combat advantage over the AI. On higher levels and above...I'm not sure if it goes the other way.

Unless I am mistaken, and Regent is actually equal grounds, and...
w/e
The combat advantage difference is just against barbs. Not player to AI.

Smackster

Top Bottom