Lunch break game

Rince

King
When CivIV was announced, i was excited to hear that you could play a whole game over a lunch break.

Usually i play normal or epic game speeds since that is what Civ has always been about. Playing for several weeks, sleeping over descisions, drawing a strategic map of your empire during boring lectures.....

But recently I wanted some quick fix and tried:

- Quick speed
- Duel Size Map
- Two continents
- High sea level
- Noble
- Mongolians

I started out in a sweet spot, alone on a island. The island was explored in a few turns, there was no connection to the other island yet and i had space for 4 cities.

New techs were coming in every few turns. My opponent founded ALL religions.

As soon as i have caravels i head over to the other side of the world and i find..... Gandhi! Great.

I churn out keshiks and some catapults and cross the ocean with some Galleons. I take his capital in two turns which leaves him with 4 cities. I destroy his iron and try to attack further, but he shows quite some resistance. My galleons are shutteling between the islands non-stop, bringing fresh keshiks as replacement for the ones who died to war elephants and spearmen.

The turning point comes when i research Musketmen (only takes a few turns in quick mode).

After another few turns i take his second last city, he takes it back the next turn and it goes again to me one turn later. Finally i win a domination victory.

All in all the game took about 1 hour. It was extremely fun because it feels so different. The finger stays on the Enter button all the time and it's almost like playing an RTS game.

You really have to rush researching and time attacks well since the window of opportunity is so small when technology flies by so fast.

I also think it's a great way to learn the game mechanics since errors made have more immediate consequences and you don't spoil the whole game because you forgot to emphasize sience or religion a few days before.

So if you want some quick fun, try the settings above!

Greetings,

Rince

it's a "lunch break game" alright. To play one game on epic speed will take you every lunch break for the rest of your working career! Or you can play one turn, if in the modern age and are at war and have a 2-hour lunch.

I started an online marathon game with a friend weeks ago.. Still on.

I play at home on lunch breaks. In an hour I can get 20some early-mid game turns or 5-10 late game turns in. It's thanks to these lunches and heavy weekend playing that I can finish a game per week.

Top Bottom