Luxuries in the beginning

wydon

Chieftain
Hi all!

Have any of you started a game with only one unique luxury in your capital? Last night I started a game as China with 2 Coppers. The next closest luxury was about 10 tiles away. I have never seen this before (as I tend to always have 2 & never 3). Unfortunately I built my NC at turn 110 and am now way behind in the tech race :(

I guess the game isn't always coded to give you two unique resources at the start.

that happens sometimes.

There's a rare bug that sometimes occurs and causes that. I've fixed it in my More Luxuries mod.

It's in the function:

AssignStartingPlots:GetListOfAllowableLuxuriesAtCitySite()

There should be a "if plot:GetResourceType(-1) == -1 then" (checks to make sure the plot doesn't already have a resource on it) containing all the other "if" statements that set luxury types to "true" for that plot.

The bug occurs when that function runs and doesn't check for existing luxuries already placed on the plot within the radius of the starting city. So, if that plot is the only eligible plot that a certain luxury can be placed on and is set to "true", and if the player is unlucky enough to get that luxury randomly chosen within the pool of available luxuries which are also set to "true", then the system just ignores it and a 2nd type isn't placed -- no error messages in the debug logs or anything.

A pretty bad handicap if you ask me. :) That's one of the things which motivated me to start studying that massive file and learn a bit of Lua through its examples and notation.

There's some other tiny things that can be optimized too. For example, sometimes you'll see regional water luxuries not meet their target because the required amount of water tiles to enable them is really, really small. Other times, very picky luxuries like sugar or spices won't meet their target regional total either. Sometimes, for example, a desert region can have sugar assigned to it (because the devs figured it was fine since it can be placed on flood plains) but if there are no rivers to form them, and there are no/few flat jungles, marsh, or flat grass with fresh water then that region is really out of luck.

Top Bottom