Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

I have to say I'm disapointed that they chose a Christian song even if it's in a foreign language. :rolleyes:

Isn't Civ supposed to be universal?

:( :confused:

If it were an Islamic song, would it be any more or less "universal"? What would be an appropriate universal song?

I think Baba Yetu is perfectly appropriate for the CivIV theme. I like the song; it sounds epic; and it sounds exotic because it's in a language I don't speak (that's probably mildly eurocentric of me to think like that, as long as we're talking about being universal :p).

I agree with digitalBoy, it's like the opera, I don't understand a word of it but it still gets the hairs standing up on the back of your neck, or should I say one's neck!

first of all: I love ur text :D .

I where looking the internet and the.. all of sudden i stumble in upon this lyrics... i don't know which is most correct but i post it anyway ;)
¨Here it goes:

CHORUS
Baba yetu, yet'uliye
Mbinguni yetu, yetu, amina!
Baba yetu, yet'uliye
Kun jina lako e'litukuzwe.

(x2)

Utupe leo chakula chetu
Tunachohitaji utusamehe
Makosa yetu, hey!
Kama nasi tunavyowasamehe
Waliotukosea usitutie
Katika majaribu, lakini
Utuokoe, na yule, milelea milele!

CHORUS

Ufalme wako ufike utakalo
Lifanyike duni ani ka ma mbinguni. (Amina)

CHORUS

Utupe leo chakula chetu
Tunachohitaji utusamehe
Makosa yetu, hey!
Kama nasi tunavyowasamehe
Waliotukosea usitutie
Katika majaribu, lakini
Utuokoe, na yule, simama mwehu
Baba yetu, yet'uliye
Jina lako e'litukuzwe.
(x2)

Great! The lyrics! Now I can stop singing "Baba yetu yetu lalalalallalaa lala" all the time.

I have read through the entire thread (all sixteen pages up to now), and I've noticed a great conflict regarding the religious content involved in not only this song but in the game as a whole. I would like to address this in a manner that is as unbiased as consciously.

Undoubtedly, there is a great deal of Christianity involved in the soundtrack of Civilization IV. This is apparent in the entire Medieval Era segment and the introduction screen. It has been pointed out that the Medieval Era was influenced greatly by the spread of Christianity, and this is true. However, it is also true that other religions were very strong. At the time, Islam also greatly influenced its part of the World. Other strong religions and weaker religions flourished in this time period, yet religious music based on those religions are not present. Other posters mentioned that implementing other religious tracks would clash with further more people. The real question I have is, why implement religious tracks at all? Civilization III had a Medieval Era as well, but I don't recall an entire soundtrack segment of Gregorian chants. I recall Baroque and other purely musical scores implemented for that period.

Of course, don't get me wrong--I am not against the music because of each word in the lyrics. But one must consider more than one part to the whole. One must consider the fact that one's personal beliefs have a very strong influence on one's life. One must consider that words are powerful images and can be the difference between love and hatred. One must also relate this case to many external cases, as well. This is not the only time religious clash has occurred. The World is currently full of these clashes regardless of where or on what grounds. On one hand, you have a game that is based off pure history, and history has undoubtedly been influenced mainly by Christianity. On the other hand, you have individual views on the World.

To settle all religious disputes, I believe, is not the task of the producers of this music or of this game. To settle religious disputes, I believe, is to the task of each individual. If you are a person who feels harmed by this music, then find solutions--replace it, remove it ... do something. If you are a person who feels harmed by this game's content, then find solutions--play a different game, find ways to play that do not involve that which brings harm to you ... do something.

Now that I've covered the biggest topic in this thread (which had little to do with the main topic regarding the release of the lyrics of the song), I would like to give thanks to all who contributed in the accurate compilation of the lyrics. Lovely music, interesting song, fun game.

I was moved and inspired by "Baba Yetu". Stirring. Inspirational. So I researched the song and learned of its rich history and cultural mix, and then found this board along the way...
I just want to say that I could see this song being sung in a big amphitheater in Africa, with healing effect after a war...
The music is just that powerful that it would raise such an idea.
Thank you so much for this gift.

First, Mardicia and CossocksRule, welcome to the Forum!

[party] :dance: :band:

To settle religious disputes, I believe, is to the task of each individual. If you are a person who feels harmed by this music, then find solutions--replace it, remove it ... do something. If you are a person who feels harmed by this game's content, then find solutions--play a different game, find ways to play that do not involve that which brings harm to you ... do something.
Well said. Enough of being the victim. Don't complain; change (or shut up).

II just want to say that I could see this song being sung in a big amphitheater in Africa...
...with a huge screen to show either the opening credits or something else equally epic and suitable.

wow. :wow:

Oops. I see that somebody already did do most of my "vision" a the Hollywood Bowl. Hey, so what if they had my great idea before I did... :)
Now about it happening in Africa, after a war.... I live in the dream world....

peace

Also, i think after you discovered "liberalism", what religion it is about matters less and less. it can be interpreted in a different way with liberalism in mind.

*Sniff*

Man, I love this song...Too bad it's gone in Warlords.

Personally, I think Christianity is as close to universal as religion can get, though some others get close...Christianity is present in every continent, just about every country, and generally has large or growing communities (except in Europe I suppose) in many places, including China and Korea.

And besides, the song is uplifting and in Swahili, with awesome orchestra to accompany it. Why complain that it should be 'more universal'?

What *would* be more universal, indeed?

The sheet music for Baba Yetu has been released, and should once and for all settle the debate about what the lyrics in this song are. Just do a Google search for Baba Yetu Sheet Music and you should find it. So at least we have an official transcription of the lyrics...and according to the pronunciation guide on the back, they are:

Baba yetu yetu'uliye mbinguni yetu yetu amina
Baba yetu yetu'uliye mjina lako elitukuzwe
Utupe leo chakula chetu tunachohitaji
Utusamehe makosa yetu
Kama nasi tunavyowasamehe waliotukosea
Usitutie katika majaribu
lakini utuokoe na yule muovu emilele

Ufalme wako ufike utakalo
lifanyike duniani kama mbinguni

So, they seem to be slightly different than the ones sung in the recording, transcribed in this thread and posted all over the internet. And now, there's also a credit for 'Swahili adaptation of The Lord's Prayer' given to one Chris Kiagiri, so we can only surmise that this version is somewhat more linguistically proper and correct than the original (which seems to be fraught with errors).

MSTK....wanna edit that original post again? :)

Hello Civilization Fans~

Thought I'd register an account to join in on all the fun. I was a huge fan of Civilization 2 (my first and only Civ. game at the moment), and when I found out my friend had just bought Civilization 4, I went to his house just to watch him play.

I immediately fell in love with the song when I heard it, though I couldn't even guess what the song meant much less what language it was in. Later, I found out from my friend that the song was a Christian prayer in Swahili.

I understand that some people find this offensive. People live completely different lives, affected by different social and religious rules. What may be offensive to one person may not be offensive to another person. However, there does indeed exist a possibility that Sid is indeed Christian. If that is the case, then it may also be possible that he chose these songs with the intention of spreading the message of peace and goodwill to mankind rather than to offend people of non-Christian faiths.

Knowing the meaning of the lyrics hasn't changed my opinion on the music. And if I did ever dislike the lyrics, I think I would find a way to listen to the composition minus the words. Alternatively, if I liked the lyrics and disliked the song, I would be content with reading it as poetry.

As for the choice of language, I think Swahili was perfect. Most music you hear in games are typically either instrumental or adapted to the commonly spoken language of that country (or Japanese depending on your choice of genre). However, hearing a song in a language one may not typically encounter may broaden their horizons. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the Civ fans are a little more open to listening to music from Africa, or anywhere else for that matter.

I had my friend send me A Nadda when he got access to it. I did like it, but I don't think it possessed the same 'overwhelming' feeling that Baba Yetu had. Still a very good, and enjoyable song though. I wouldn't dream of removing it from my MP3 player.

Last point, I promise! I hope the newest Civilization keeps up this trend. Though I am Christian myself, I wouldn't be opposed to listening to the chants and prayers of other Religions. After all, isn't religion supposed to be about uniting people and inspiring hope towards a better future, rather than to alienate ourselves from each other?

Oh. And good work on the translations and all. I think I just may have to go purchase myself an instrument and learn how to play.

I wonder what the first impression is of someone who is fluent in Swahili, or the first impression of someone who is fluent in lebanese that hears the warlords song.

And here I always thought that the whole reason it was The Lord's Prayer, was because Sid had a God Complex. lol.

How are you supposed to try to pronounce those lyrics? (don't go out of your way to show me) ^Sid probably has a god complex.

Baba Yetu is one of the best examples of polytheistic music ever. That's why it sounds so "epic".
Nice job, by the way!

But... its the Lords prayer :confused:

Top Bottom