Mac Civ III Editor Help Questions

Originally posted by DiamondzAndGunz
The higher the number, the longer it takes. The lowest you can have is 0, which is the same as for a tiny map (makes sense, right?).

Percision bombing doesn't let you choose the target. All it does is instead of being able to bomb units/population, it will only bomb improvements in a city, I believe.

Yes, yes, exactly as I said. ;) :p

Ok, I've got a question...

In another thread I asked for a way to prolong the game, but apparently this is not possible.

But since that, I've noticed that using custom player data, it is possible to set a starting era for a specific player and using that, you can choose "future era". So there is my question: what is the future era??? and why does it only appear there?

Originally posted by Trabpukcip
Ok, I've got a question...

In another thread I asked for a way to prolong the game, but apparently this is not possible.

But since that, I've noticed that using custom player data, it is possible to set a starting era for a specific player and using that, you can choose "future era". So there is my question: what is the future era??? and why does it only appear there?

Future Era means that you start with all the techs. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not another era or anything. The next thing you can research is Future tech, though, so that's probably where they got the name.

Be warned. Starting in future era is dangerous. All the civs start building riflemen for defense except those that have a UU that doesn't cost anything. So as the human, its not to hard to completely wipe them out really early.

1- Has anyone been sucessful at making a unit amphibious?

2- When I create new units, I can't check the "All strategies" boxes. How does it works? What does it do?

3- Can someone please point out where I can find the to create the graphics for all the new things I create, so far I've only been able copy the files from other units... it doesn't do justice to what I create...

i believe that if you change the values in the general settings next to "Chance to intercept enemy stealth missions (%)" you can set the probability that you can shoot down a stealth bomber.

Okay, lemme get this straight... the *higher* the number, the longer it takes to discover techs?

And after that question, does anyone know how to set the global warming rate? For some reason my games take forever to go through global warming turns. In my last game one of the civ's nuked another, odd because i did not use them, but when that civ did use the nukes not only did that turn take forever, but all the other nations declared war against it and then nuked it. That pretty much did it for the game because then it took forever to cycle through turns due to global warming. i would like to turn global warming off, or at least the messages... Is there any way to either turn the warning off, or do something to slow that down in the editor?

Trabpukcip-
1. Yes. It's easy. Just make a unit, and in Unit Abilities, select the Amphibious option.
2. They're the "AI Strategies" boxes (Brad- Typo?). They tell the AI what to do with the unit. For example, if you check all the boxes for worker actions, you can give it the AI strategy "terraform;" it will use it like a worker. If you give it bombard, and bombard str n such, you can check the artillery box. If you give it attack/def, you can check the Offense/Defense boxes.
3. Not sure what you can do to make your own, but you can check out the creation & customization forum; they have lots of premade units, and odds are, they already have what you need.

Gottestfreunde-
1. The higher the number, the longer it takes.
2. Go to the rules editor, and go to terrain. There is a box that says "Pollution Effect." If you pick none, none of the tiles will get transformed, so it should save you time.

ok here's a question for you all. I'm making my first foray into the editor right now and I've made a map that I will want some play testing for if anyone's interested. But that's not my question. here's my question:

In the GOTM17, there are some new units and improvements (I won't go into what they are to save spoilers from those who still want to participate) Were these somehow added by a PC editor that allows them to work on the mac version of the game? How can I add (not just change around) things like techs, units, and improvements/wonders? any ideas? or is this beyond what our editor can do right now? My main thing is that I've always been annoyed with how religion is treated in the game (as pretty much the only way to make people happy other than luxuries) so I wanted to mod the relgion techs to allow several different paths to research (ie, eastern philosophy vs, monotheism vs, polytheism vs athiesm) you can see what I mean here. any way for me to do this? thanks in advance!!

lateralis

and, oh yeah...
the idea would be that depening on which religios path you take, different wonders/improvments with different effects would be available. like:

plolytheism = oracle-same
monthiesm = 10 commandments-maybe effect of law in cities, like having a courthouse in every city or something like that
easterm = wisdom of confucious-maybe a different "hanging gardens" type wonder

you get the idea

lateralis

lateralis - download the new NIB file (on this forum) or my program, iEditCiv. The NIB file will create add / delete buttons for many things.
Its pretty sweet.

Originally posted by senecasax
download the new NIB file (on this forum) or my program, iEditCiv.

I can't find the link for the new NIB file - where was it posted again ?

Fruno

Ok, has anyone tried to add new Citizen type? I tried a new type: Slaves... but in the game I can"t select these, in fact I can't even choose entertainer, scientist and tax collector even do I didn't made any change to them... anyone have an answer?

Every time I open up a file to modify, the editor nukes all the info for the first object for each specific rule set-i.e.: 'civilizations' ends up with total blanks for 'A Barbarian Chieftan', 'Worker Actions' registers nothing for 'Mine', 'Advances' gives me a pile of blanks for 'Bronze Working', 'Units' will be devoid of info for 'Settler', etc.

Of all the losses, the last one is the most devastating, as it means that if I try to play my .bic, I (as well as everyone else) won't be able to found cities-which is somewhat of a problem. I tried to copy the settler with iEdit (resulting in iSettler), but the determination of Civ 3 to destroy my sanity made another gain; iSettler is affected, too. Besides, the game won't let me add unit types other than Settlers and Workers to the starting unit roster: it simply upchucks all my inputted values.

i had this same problem. It is seemingly resolved by closing the editor entirely, quitting it, after making any changes to any one of the screens. If you go to make a change to another screen after making a change on another, it will delete the values and when you save the file, they will be deleted. However, if you only work on one screen, close the program and then reopen it, then the values will be there, unless you work on more than one screen.

Okay, there was another posting on this, I think, but I can not, for the life of me, find it. Forgive my redundancy, then, when I ask:
WHAT IN THE WORLD AM I SCREWING UP?
:wallbash:
Okay, I'm trying to add a couple of small wonders, Ironworks 1 & 2. Using iEditCiv, I open the .bic, select the Great Ironworks, copy it (twice), and save out. In Civ3Edit, I find the Ironworks 1 and Ironworks 2 entries under the buildings category. Everything else being the same, in the Civilopedia window, I enter BLDG_Ironworks_1. According to the tutorial, this isn't enough, so I go digging around in the Text folder. I find the Civilopedia.txt file, open it up, and in the SMALL WONDERS section, I find and copy the #BLDG_Great_Ironworks file. Immediately below it, I paste it twice (with double line spacers, of course), and change the building names to match what I had entered in the Civilopedia window. They look like this:

#BLDG_Ironworks_1
^
^
^$LINK<Production=GCON_Shields> increased by 100% in the city where it's built.
^{Requires:} The city that builds it must have Iron and Coal in its city radius.
#DESC_BLDG_Ironworks_1
^
^
^As mankindís dependence on metals increased through the ages, it became very important to cheaply and effectively separate the base metal from
impurities. The process of smelting, through the use of a structure called a blast furnace, achieved just that. Using carbon dioxide created from
oxidized coke to absorb the oxygen from the molten iron, it leaves the metal ëslagí to sink to the bottom of the furnace. This separation allows for
a pure iron to be derived, which is then used for numerous purposes, including the creation of steel.

Okay, having done that, I realize the job is not complete. I find the PediaIcons.txt file, open that sucker up, and paste in:

#ICON_BLDG_Ironworks_1
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\greatironworkslarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\greatironworkssmall.pcx
#ICON_BLDG_Ironworks_2
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\greatironworkslarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\greatironworkssmall.pcx

The tutorial, if I've read it right, told me to put it on the end of that section (but not the end of the file, so right below the BLDG_Ironworks_2 entry is the:
#END CIVILOPEDIA ART

I have found out this is not enough. I play through to the point where I can build these guys. The original Ironworks builds fine, works fine. Ironworks 1 is selectable in the cue, though there is no icon. I build it. Several turns later, it is complete. The turn proceeds normally until the game reaches that city (and it's finished "Ironworks 1" building). BAM! The game crashes faster than the Dow Jones after a UN Security Council vote.

So... anybody have any clue what I am forgetting or otherwise screwing up? Please? Anyone? I can add units fine, but man, this small wonder thing is screwing me up.

You need to add the wonder splash screen. It is detailed a few posts later in the tutorial, since the guy forgot it and had the same problem you did until he figured it out.

Top Bottom