Macintosh Tech Support/Game FAQ

Ok, I've been playing Mac Civ 3, and while it's been a somewhat bumpy road as far as problems are concerned, I've been able to work around and/or through them. Not any more.

I'm currently playing a game as the Russians on Regent. Whenever I open up the game and select the current save (1390AD), as soon as it loads - pow! the game "unexpectedly quits," due to a type I error. Every time!

WTF is up with this? Re-starting had no effect. I've de-fragged, rebuilt my directory, and made sure nothing else but Finder is running, still to no avail. To be honest, it's done this sort of thing before, but never to this degree. I obviously need some help.

I'm running a Power PC G4 with a 256kb processor, 2gb of memory, on OS 9.2.2. Any help or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm sure you've heard this before, but have you tried just reinstalling CivIII itself?

I"m curious what the "bumpy road" is- I never had any problems other than game speed under 9.2.2 or Jaguar..... what kind of problems were you having?

You could also try uploading the save file, and see if anyone else has the same problem with it. Might not be your game, just the save. Or, it could be your game... Try reinstalling, as mentioned.

Originally posted by Raijer
Ok, I've been playing Mac Civ 3, and while it's been a somewhat bumpy road as far as problems are concerned, I've been able to work around and/or through them. Not any more.

Raijer, I recommend doing as DnG suggests. Upload the save file and give us a look at it. I'll PM my email address to you also, just attach it to me.

Make sure you're up to date on the patch, that usually fixes most crash problems..

It should be around here somewhere...

Thanks to everyone for your timely response. This is to give you an update, and a bit more info:

I did indeed have the latest patch (1.21 I presume), and have performed the recommended re-install (w/patch of course).

Unfortunately, a turn or two in, the game still crashes on that 1390 save. I even tried the next earlier auto save, and still: crashville! Grrrrr!:mad:

I sent the game to Dojoboy, and eagerly await his prognosis.

Again, thanks to dcaint, DiamondzAndGunz, senecasax, and dojoboy for your expertise!

Thanks again dojoboy... just out of curiosity, did you play a few turns into the game. The reason I ask: sometimes it wouldn't crash until one or two turns into the game.

Nevertheless... yeah did the re-install, and still having the same problem.

hmm.. if you were on OS X, i would suggest examining the crash log. If you happen to have 10, its under ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Civilization III.crash.log

This'll give you the crash info, again, if you have OS X.

Quick question: do i need to download the 1.17g patch before i download the 1.21g patch? I wanna get 1.21 before I download the editor, otherwise i might spend time fixing stuff the way i want to that might be fixed by the patch.

Originally posted by Raijer
the game "unexpectedly quits," due to a type I error. Every time!

*snip*

I'm running a Power PC G4 with a 256kb processor, 2gb of memory, on OS 9.2.2. Any help or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Uh, Type 1 errors are memory errors, you need to allocate more memory to the program. its been a while since I've used 9, but just click on the Civ3 icon, hit apple-i and in the memory preferences, up the prefered and minimium memories to 400 or so? If you've got 2 gigs of it and won't be doing video editing in the background while you play the game, you should be okay.

You've got to be mistaken.
2 GB of memory? What do you do for a living?
That would have to cost as much as the computer to buy (Four 512 MB RAM chips... sheesh)!

...Unless you're confusing it with hard DISK SPACE, which is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.

...and what the hell is a 256kb processor??? Are you talking about L2 cache or what? :confused:
(Or do you really have 256 MB RAM...
yeah, I bet you do.)

Pay a visit to your "Apple System Profiler" - located in the Apple menu by default. Do it.

Make sure you have all the extensions on you need, and no more. Graphics (ATi extensions, etc.), sound (Sound Manager, etc.), CarbonLib... and download the latest patch.

Originally posted by ancestral

You've got to be mistaken.
2 GB of memory? What do you do for a living?
That would have to cost as much as the computer to buy (Four 512 MB RAM chips... sheesh)!

No need to flame...
:rocket:

Some people aren't the best with computer jargon, give the person a break.

Preface: I do have an original Civ III license and CD. I just don't want to have my drive spinning all the time.

It is very easy to run Civ III without having the cd in the drive.
  1. create a disc image (any size will do) using Apple's "Disk Copy" and name it "Civilization III.img" (MacOS 9) resp. "Civilization III.dmg" (MacOS X)
  2. mount the image by double-clicking it, either before starting Civ III, or when you are asked to mount the cd
    [/list=1] Since the Civ III application only checks for the presence of a volume named "Civilization III", you do not need any (meaningful) data on the disk image. At least for versions 1.21g and 1.29b2 this is sufficient.

Edit: include "Disk Copy" reference, explanation.
    Edit 2: make it even more clear, I hope.
    Edit 3: include 1.29b2

Originally posted by tao

It is very easy to run Civ III without having the cd in the drive.
  1. create a disc image (any size will do) and name it "Civilization III"
  2. mount the image, either before starting Civ III, or when you are asked to mount the cd
    [/list=1] This works in both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.

1. How do you create a disk image? I have both duplicated the CD and created an alias. I am still asked to insert the CD or quit.

Interesting note, up to this last update, 1.21g, I was able to run Civ III without the CD or any disk image. Having to carry the CD around in my labtop sucks!

Originally posted by tao
see my edited post [/QUOTE

Ok, when you refer to "any size" do you mean that I don't actually need to have the entire CD copied disk image? Will an empty disk image work?

Also, how do you "mount" the disk image? I have created disk images and I still cannot play without the CD, as I am asked to install it.

Top Bottom