Major civs don't seem to build any Commercial Hub districts

Of course I'm serious on this issue. I myself almost never build CHs on normal games.

If you think I'm wrong you can always prove yourself on Gotm games:crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

On deity, you never build CH ? You say they take too long to be of use but trade routes are available instantly to be built and they generate gold from adjacency instantly as well.

Maybe you have a very specific playstyle, usually is for gotm players. Also you mention conquering the world by T150 so i take you always go for a domination victory. Still, i wonder how you support troop maintenance for your entire conquests without any CH or trade route.

From my experience, not building CH seems like a subpar move. Hammer and food from internal TR, flat gold, easy great merchants, are too invaluable to pass on. So yeah, i remain sceptical.

On deity, you never build CH ? You say they take too long to be of use but trade routes are available instantly to be built and they generate gold from adjacency instantly as well.

Maybe you have a very specific playstyle, usually is for gotm players. Also you mention conquering the world by T150 so i take you always go for a domination victory. Still, i wonder how you support troop maintenance for your entire conquests without any CH or trade route.

From my experience, not building CH seems like a subpar move. Hammer and food from internal TR, flat gold, easy great merchants, are too invaluable to pass on. So yeah, i remain sceptical.

Almost never. They hardly pay for themselves before game ends since the game is too short. I usually buy the first merchant with faith to get the Mercantism boost. In fact I don't think anyone can get Adam Smith to make real use since he costs too much. You have to purchase the 1st merchant when the world is in exactly the Ranaissance Era and then you have 1/3 chance of meeting him. Even if you're lucky enough to find him, you must spend 6,500 gold(Since you can't wait for 420 GM points before game ends) . Forbidden City is much more reasonable.

Not only Dom, Science and Culture Victory is around T150 standard speed too. So anything that can't pay for itself before T150 is completely useless.

Even Ais know commercial hubs have very low value so they never build them. I think this is the worst district among all.

Last edited:
I'm really curious about what a game with no CH and a viable economy looks like. could you please send a save file ?

Almost never. They hardly pay for themselves before game ends since the game is too short. I usually buy the first merchant with faith to get the Mercantism boost. In fact I don't think anyone can get Adam Smith to make real use since he costs too much. You have to purchase the 1st merchant when the world is in exactly the Ranaissance Era and then you have 1/3 chance of meeting him. Even if you're lucky enough to find him, you must spend 6,500 gold(Since you can't wait for 420 GM points before game ends) . Forbidden City is much more reasonable.

Not only Dom, Science and Culture Victory is around T150 standard speed too. So anything that can't pay for itself before T150 is completely useless.

Even Ais know commercial hubs have very low value so they never build them. I think this is the worst district among all.

I checked a few of the gotm threads and you indeed seem to do some very efficient games. I m just curious how transposable this strategy is on every random game you would play, not maps selected for the gotm. Also, you seem to basically always rely on conquest, which i dont. Otherwise, games are just way too similar and ez mode. Civ VI difficulty for me relies in keeping a somewhat realistic approach and not minmaxing. Did too much of this in CiV where deity left fewer room for that to end up winning.

But yeah, i m not the type of player that will settle over 20 cities every game and conquer 20 more. I find it tedious and boring, but i see how it can compensate the lack of flat gold created by not building any CH. I ll try it once for the sake of learning and maybe tweak my playstyle a bit though. But damn do i love my gold lol.

Overall, you rely on tiles only for gold or do you add anything through policies ? Maybe colonial taxes considering that through conquest and mass settling you probably always have a lot of cities outside your starting continent ? Or simply gold from peace deals or trades ?

Any way you could do a let s play on youtube ? Always curious to see radical strategies.

Of course on random deity games CHs are much more useless since in Gotm there're often sth like early Kumasi that increases their value.

I have explained the uselessness of CHs in different threads for many times. Unfortunately usually that CH supporter eventually found himself defeated and started attacking personally. So I don't want a debate here.

For your questions, try to limit your game to T150 and win before that timeline, then maybe you can better understand my playstyle.

This has been discussed before, but it's true that if you play an all-out win-as-fast-as-possible strategy, the normal does and don't's don't necessarily apply. For instance, you can win a domination victory very fast if you pour all your resources into it and don't care about anything else. There's also the whole Goddess-of-Harvest + Theocracy thing going on, which is - by way of word - very much doable (and I don't doubt it), but not exactly a "normal" game style. So while it's probably true that commercial hubs will do badly in those strategies, transferring this conclusion to the AI seems rather nonsensical. I think there's little doubt that, was the AI actually able to manage the trade routes, it would benefit from building more commercial huts and fewer theater squares and holy sites.

This has been discussed before, but it's true that if you play an all-out win-as-fast-as-possible strategy, the normal does and don't's don't necessarily apply. For instance, you can win a domination victory very fast if you pour all your resources into it and don't care about anything else. There's also the whole Goddess-of-Harvest + Theocracy thing going on, which is - by way of word - very much doable (and I don't doubt it), but not exactly a "normal" game style. So while it's probably true that commercial hubs will do badly in those strategies, transferring this conclusion to the AI seems rather nonsensical. I think there's little doubt that, was the AI actually able to manage the trade routes, it would benefit from building more commercial huts and fewer theater squares and holy sites.

So what do you think of a "normal" playstyle? Building a strong empire? Trust me, you'll build far more powerful empire without CHs than wait for them to slowly pay something back.

Indeed, it's not that the AI has an efficient "playstyle" that omits CH, it's simply incapable of using them. It did not "try to limit your game to T150 and win before that timeline" and voilà, you're a top player too.

So what do you think of a "normal" playstyle? Building a strong empire? Trust me, you'll build far more powerful empire without CHs than wait for them to slowly pay something back.

Your entire strategy hangs on conquering the AI and taking rather than building which only works because AI is incapable at war and also because warmongering is too profitable.

So yes CH is useless in the context of AI because there's no need to build them when it's more efficient to just take everything you need.

Against human/real intelligence however I highly doubt it will be an effective strategy simply because you'll not be able to profit as much in warmongering to offset the opportunity cost of not building CHs; therefore it is not sufficient to prove that CH are useless. It is my opinion that in order for a strategy to be considered good it must be accessed in the context of human intelligence and not just an expliotation of game flaws.

Also I will like to make mention that the value of CHs scale with the length of the game and against players who can drag the game out not building them will be to your detriment.

Btw not disagreeing with how CHs are ineffective in games that last less than 200 turns. They do take time to pay off.

Also the definition of a strong empire is subjective and "fastest" victory doesn't always equate to that.

Last edited:
Limiting yourself to T150 doesn't seem to be a fun way to play this game. But tastes vary.
I myself love Commercial hubs, because I love to build big civilizations that fill every nooks and crannies of the world map. They allow huge numbers of traders to boost a small city to size above 5 fast.

Your entire strategy hangs on conquering the AI and taking rather than building which only works because AI is incapable at war and also because warmongering is too profitable.

So yes CH is useless in the context of AI because there's no need to build them when it's more efficient to just take everything you need.

Against human/real intelligence however I highly doubt it will be an effective strategy simply because you'll not be able to profit as much in warmongering to offset the opportunity cost of not building CHs; therefore it is not sufficient to prove that CH are useless. It is my opinion that in order for a strategy to be considered good it must be accessed in the context of human intelligence and not just an expliotation of game flaws.

Also I will like to make mention that the value of CHs scale with the length of the game and against players who can drag the game out not building them will be to your detriment.

Btw not disagreeing with how CHs are ineffective in games that last less than 200 turns. They do take time to pay off.

Also the definition of a strong empire is subjective and "fastest" victory doesn't always equate to that.

This is basically how i feel and the main reason why i play peacefull. When i see the ai give me all their gold and 2/3 cities in wars where i didnt even capture a city, i just dont want to pull on that string too much. I did a few war focused games on deity, mainly with alexander and cyrus. And indeed they were my fastest win even when i decided to stop pushing after reaching 25 cities owned.

I find ais a lot easier to consistently pown in VI than in V

My bad, I never bothered to go as far as a top secret access. I would never have guessed that the AI was actually after a real victory - I mean, seeing it spend all its production in holy sites and swarms of apostles when the religious victory is off doesn't help !

The AI might be targeting a certain victory and doing a bad job executing it. I've definitely seen an AI going for a religious victory that was far behind there and close in science. However, near the end, it switched to science victory. I couldn't tell if behavior changed since it was always better at science. My guess is it was just more annoyed at me for going for science after the switch.

What should you build then? Campus and maybe industrial?

I have explained the uselessness of CHs in different threads for many times. Unfortunately usually that CH supporter eventually found himself defeated and started attacking personally. So I don't want a debate here.
Alright, as someone who has read the posts that you're referring to, I will concede that some of the people who countered your points were making things a little too personal for what would be considered an acceptable debate, I will not do this nor will I tolerate it. The situation was further exacerbated for you as your unconventional tactics left you in the minority; you were arguing your point alone against several people arguing against you. I applaud you bringing unconventional and effective tactics to the forum, this is the principal reason why we are all here.

However, the CH supporters were not "defeated." You brought your argument regarding oranges and they brought their argument regarding apples. They didn't make things personal because they were beaten, rather because they were frustrated that you weren't accepting their points and they were unable to conduct themselves in the debate as well as you did.

To those who question how she (with a name like Lily, I assume you're female. Apologies if this isn't so) creates an economy that supports the units needed to succeed without commercial hubs (@cazaderonus among others), there's three economic maneuvers that she's using.

First, she stated that she uses the Public Transport civic (50 gold per appeal of a tile when replacing a farm with a neighborhood) to such a degree that its clearly manipulating a design flaw. The gold is issued when you place the district instead of when you finish it, so you just switch to the civic, place a district in every city, and get a huge lump sum. You then never complete a neighborhood district. I see this tactic as situational for two reasons. First, it comes late in the game and doesn't apply to the renaissance era or prior. Second, it's very limited. Even if you have a 20 city empire and all city's place a neighborhood on a farm, they're probably going to average 4 appeal, meaning 200 gold per neighborhood placement. Multiply that times 20 cities, and you get 4,000 gold, which as most of you who develop your commercial hubs know, is about 3 turns worth of gold production once your cities and commercial hubs are developed. But I guess that boost may be enough, and she isn't investing (or in her view, "wasiting") the hammers that produce and develop those commercial hubs.

Second, she mentioned the use of privateers (as well as general pillaging gains) as an alternative to CH for economic gains. Again, I find the tactic situational as it relies on coastal access to tiles to be effective, and as with the previous point, doesn't matter until you unlock privateers, which means you need to find another source of income up until the renaissance era.

Third and most importantly, her games are GotM games. Which means that the maps... and the STARTS... that you salivate over, are the maps and starts that she has every game. Look at some of the ridiculous GotM starts and you will see how unconventional tactics become viable. Most start of a plains hill and are adjacent to three or four of a luxury resource that you can trade and another 3 or 4 bonus resources to get you up and running. So yes, when the map gives you god-like tile yields, you don't need commercial hubs.

So to conclude on this diversion from the OP, commercial hubs aren't optimal in games where you're playing a speedrun, and often aren't necessary when you're given god-tier maps. But in the standard, everyday, roll-up-a-random-Pangaea, they are extremely useful for all the reasons that you already know about.

. But in the standard, everyday, roll-up-a-random-Pangaea, they are extremely useful for all the reasons that you already know about.

I play standard, everyday, roll-up random Pangaea for many times. I think In these maps CHs are of the least use instead of "extremely useful".

In fact in Gotm games there were always early Kumasi and/or a city where GZ being far more useful than original, making CHs much more worthy than in normal games, so in GOTMs I actually build CHs sometimes. But in normal Pangaea or Continent Deity games, almost never.

Again since you already know the reasons, I'll not explain this time. Nobody can wake up a person pretending to sleep. Also, I give up persuading you. I'm welcome to accept ideas if someone can produce a good result using CH strategy (not those 150+T ones).

By the way, I'd like to point out that if you focus on economic development, you can get 3,000+GPT at T180 or so instead of 4,000 for 3 turns. But, unfortunately, a game except for score VC never lasts that long.

Last edited:
I play standard, everyday, roll-up random Pangaea for many times. I think In these maps CHs are of the least use instead of "extremely useful".

In fact in Gotm games there were always early Kumasi and/or a city where GZ being far more useful than original, making CHs much more worthy than in normal games, so in GOTMs I actually build CHs sometimes. But in normal Pangaea or Continent Deity games, almost never.

Again since you already know the reasons, I'll not explain this time. Nobody can wake up a person pretending to sleep. Also, I give up persuading you. I'm welcome to accept ideas if someone can produce a good result using CH strategy (not those 150+T ones).

By the way, I'd like to point out that if you focus on economic development, you can get 3,000+GPT at T180 or so instead of 4,000 for 3 turns. But, unfortunately, a game except for score VC never lasts that long.

What is you usual game opening ? I started a game with india, went for early invasion rushing the varus, building a very early IZ. And after popping out 5/6 varus, i'm already in deficit of gold. Was basically forced to build a CH to get a 2nd trade routes to avoid going below 0, and despite having met and sent 1 envoy to 2 Commercial CSes. Even checked if i could compensate with basic tiles and citizen placement.

LilyLancer: Isn't Commercial Hub the 2nd district you build most often after the campus? This is based on your post about the ideal population of cities.

What is you usual game opening ? I started a game with india, went for early invasion rushing the varus, building a very early IZ. And after popping out 5/6 varus, i'm already in deficit of gold. Was basically forced to build a CH to get a 2nd trade routes to avoid going below 0, and despite having met and sent 1 envoy to 2 Commercial CSes. Even checked if i could compensate with basic tiles and citizen placement.

I usually open with a builder, then a settler, then archers.

You just use that plunder*2 policy to plunder tiles. Also trade with other AI for cash. You'll never use up all your gold before reaching Urbanization. What you need is to make your cash>0, not GPT>0. GPT is meaningless.

In fact, besides upgrade costs, having Gold more than 0 is just a low-efficient waste, since besides upgrading units, the rate it transfer to hammers is 4:1, which is very low. You're sure to reach an awful situation if you're just watching (or spending them with very low efficiency) these gold. Making cash remains just a little more than upgrade costs, with a <0 GPT is the most efficient.

Last edited:
By the way, next time you want to argue about an issue, please

1. Provide reasonable reasons(instead of listing unreasonable reasons). In this case I saw no reasonable reasons for CHs being anything useful.

2. Instead of arguing about other's result being different, provide your own result.
It's simple to pick up how others go wrong, even if others do not actually made a mistake. There's a saying, "When you watch others playing, you feel yourself 3 levels higher than your original level." It's your own result that speaks for itself.
I've never seen a CH normal deity report which have a result that matches the standard baseline(At least you shall win before T155 ,or T175 for SV, since I'm confident to have every map finished before this timeline with Gotm rule). But I can achieve some not bad results without CHs. That's why I keep thinking this one useless.

Moderator Action: When debating the merits or demerits of game elements and strategy, please do not lecture other posters about how they should post or frame their arguments or berate them for not accepting your arguments or assertions (or for failing to convince you). If you find someone frustrating to communicate with, lay out the merits of your arguments for the benefit of others and move on.

Top Bottom