Major exploit in the game

You won't play on slower speeds, larger maps, and have Flex.AI enabled but you assume that nothing will change. I don't understand that, why not just give it a try?

Every time I play on Normal/Standard the games end up exactly as you describe: Unbalanced in the player's favor - Traders or not. Every time I play on slower speeds coupled with larger maps, it has the opposite effect. Especially so with Flexible AI enabled, which to be honest seems like it should be switched on by default.

I don't particularly want to play on a larger map or slower speed as I don't want the game to go that long. From what I understand even if I did use those settings the production still seems to get out of hand because of the civics and the many buildings that add to production especially as the game moves on. The AI is also a bit of a weakness and I'm talking about in terms of intelligent decisions rather than bonuses to compensate with.

I don't particularly want to play on a larger map or slower speed as I don't want the game to go that long. From what I understand even if I did use those settings the production still seems to get out of hand because of the civics and the many buildings that add to production especially as the game moves on. The AI is also a bit of a weakness and I'm talking about in terms of intelligent decisions rather than bonuses to compensate with.

AND might not be up your alley then, since it's balanced around Large/Huge maps and not Standard ones. What you've been describing about steamrolling the AI in the early stages of the game is a side-effect of that - the gameplay just wasn't meant for those sizes. It's a bit different when playing against humans, but the AI is another matter entirely. It's not just about bonuses/penalties, but the base gameplay itself which is centered around assuming that the game is going to be played on Large or above.

That being said, civics are still a work in progress and they're in the process of being trimmed down right now, Despotism's likely going to have its Military production reduced or even outright removed for example.
However don't expect late-game civics to be in any way balanced. The Transhuman Era's meant to just let loose and break all the rules we're familiar with :lol:

K-mod is only partially merged in AND. The problem is that AND has many more features so K-MOD AI doesn't fit in AND. It could improve some AI behaviour, but it would probably make some other behaviour worse than it currently is.

As well, K-mod is not compatible with Bug, so can't have a full merge. The author has stated that they only merged certain parts they thought were needed, and not the rest.

On AI (Miss)- behavior, they still send in stacks of siege ONLY, or singularly to attack you. I just had one stack of 15 siege sent against me, but no other troops anywhere to be seen. latest SVN version 1047.

Trippling cost of trader unit worked fine for me in my last game on monarch/epic.

Another option would be to tingle with wheelwrights production bonus to it.

I want to see what 45* does with unit costs in general before we change the Trader specifically. If all units cost 3x times as much but 1 Trader still produces as much gold, that's dividing the efficiency by 3 without anything else.

I want to see what 45* does with unit costs in general before we change the Trader specifically. If all units cost 3x times as much but 1 Trader still produces as much gold, that's dividing the efficiency by 3 without anything else.

I seldom use caravans for gold but I do use them for wonders construction. I think that it's too easy to use caravans this way so I don't see any potential problem with it. As for gold, I don't know but increasing gold produced by trade mission is easy if we want to do it at a later time.

I seldom use caravans for gold but I do use them for wonders construction. I think that it's too easy to use caravans this way so I don't see any potential problem with it. As for gold, I don't know but increasing gold produced by trade mission is easy if we want to do it at a later time.

The original exploit was using caravans for gold to run a deficit economy without lowering science. If you're increasing unit costs by a lot but not increasing the trade mission cost, then the problem becomes an inefficiency, and I agree it's easy to fix that by increasing the gold generated.

I get more use out of trade caravans feeding hammers to early cities that need infrastructure rather than wonders, but I don't usually use caravans for gold either.

I agree, I exclusively use Caravans for city development. I may use some for gold, but very rarely, only every 2nd or 3rd game.

Rushing the infrastructure in new cities is the most important role, Traders/ Caravans/ Freight, all have a role with the various eras, they build important buildings that relate to the hammers they provide on a 1/1 2/1 or even 3/1 basis.

That's how I play, but as a national unit, 5 on larger and greater maps isn't enough, it really should be scaled to map size.

Top Bottom