• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Make units from different cultures look different

Nooble

Warlord
If Rhye can do it with his mod, I'm sure Firaxis can..

The asians should look asian, the europeons should look europeon, and the middle-east should look middle-east.

Also units should have statics display showing how many men are in this tank unit.. 400 tanks, 1,500 infatry, 200 hundred officers, and 1 general.

Although its only a cosmetic touch-in both cases-I think they will be a very useful feature from a visualisation point of view.
Of course, such features would need to be editable, for the purposes of scenarios-especially those featuring units of Fantasy and Science Fiction races.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

One way to handle this is to attach multiple sets of graphic to each unit, the graphic file will be assigned to a particular civ. One of the graphic sets can be made default, so that in the case a set isn't specified, the civ will receive generic version of the graphic.

Actually, thats a very good point Dida. You could, in fact, do it in much the same way as they do cities in Civ3.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

I'm sure it's quite doable, and the great news is it's the kind of feature that doesn't mess with gameplay complexity too much. There's no additional micromanagement, no additional gameplay time. And a huge bonus in a sense of immersiveness.

The only negative, which is ever so slight, is for beginner players who may have a hard time figuring out "wait, what the heck is that unit coming towards me?" But everyone knows it wouldn't take much to click on the unit and see that it's basically the same warrior as yours, except culturally different.

Would this mean it is feasibly possible to create a unique set of graphics and units for each Civ?

Maybe not every single Civ, but groups of Civs.

dh_epic said:
Maybe not every single Civ, but groups of Civs.

Yea, like the Africans having black units instead of white. That allways bugged me, it seem so out of place.

_-Nate-_

They can always make every civ's unit unique, if they invest the time and resource, it is not that big of a deal.

OLX said:
Would this mean it is feasibly possible to create a unique set of graphics and units for each Civ?

It is possible already, it just takes a lot of WORK. In fact if you were to set at it now you could mod your own civ to be this way. but you would have to remake every unit for each civ, and then also mod each civ to build only their own units. The game isn't really set up to do it this way.

But to simplify the modding, so that one unit could have a variety of graphics (&potentially names) attached to its stats, info, etc, and simply select which to use for each civ, that would be nice.

In my limited experience, there's a significant amount of idling for the art team. A lot of waiting for the programmers to finish up what they're doing, test the art assets the artists made, and get back to the artists with more instructions.

I'm guessing they have enough time to take a step in the right direction. Unique art for each Civ? I dunno.

Though once you get to the modern units, it ceases to matter; just apply different skin colors on the units' faces and arms; not even that on tanks and other mechanized units.

And I think that Civ III did a good job making the units rather non-ethnic; it was difficult to tell if they were Caucasian or Asian (including the American civs), and impossible with the Warrior and industrial and modern worker on account of their huge beards.

Lockesdonkey said:
Though once you get to the modern units, it ceases to matter; just apply different skin colors on the units' faces and arms; not even that on tanks and other mechanized units.

Well, they could still use different images for the units. German Tanks and American Tanks were different beasts in WWII, and different countries use different planes in their Air Forces..

It would be interested if you could sell individual units to other civs... then you could see that the Zulus are purchasing military hardware from the Americans when you see that F-16 fly through your territory (since the Zulus would have a different style plane as the unit marker).

Darwin420 said:
Well, they could still use different images for the units. German Tanks and American Tanks were different beasts in WWII, and different countries use different planes in their Air Forces..

Aaa - so there will be fight between Condor Fighter ( american culture ) and Eagle Bomber ( European culture ) ? :D :D

Nice - but may complicate the game, especially for newbees ... :mischief:

Regards

How does a picture make the game more complicated? All they have to do is right click on the unit to see what it is. The stats would still be the same!

If that's the way Civ4 works.

azzacanth said:
It is possible already, it just takes a lot of WORK. In fact if you were to set at it now you could mod your own civ to be this way. but you would have to remake every unit for each civ, and then also mod each civ to build only their own units. The game isn't really set up to do it this way.
That's true, but if you do culture grouping instead, you could easily do it like the city buildings-have a different row for each culture. This wouldn't hurt custom modding, either-just copy and paste a row instead of a square.

_-Nate-_

Top Bottom