Manual Amenities Allocation

smartcanuck1988

Warlord
First, I want to be clear that nothing suggested here will interfere with what's already in the game. If a player is happy with the game automatically choosing which cities get which amenities then what's suggested can simply be ignored.

The basic idea:

I would like to see the game allow us to manually choose where the amenities go. Perhaps using a screen similar to the "Great Works" screen where you drag-drop items to different slots. Of course, the game will automatically allocate the amenities for you initially (and there should be a "Reset" button on that screen to re-apply the game's own choices). Of course there could be a cool down timer or gold cost or something for when to allocate those amenities so you don't abuse the system, but this is a simple issue to resolve.

Reasons:

Right now I feel like my empires are in a "forced communism" mode where all cities must share the minimum level of happiness difference (Please note: I am talking simply about luxury allocation, ignoring War Weariness and any Entertainment Complexes). You cannot have a core of Ecstatic cities because you have assigned them all the luxuries they need to get to this level, while leaving some of your peripheral cities at "Content" or even below.

This not only removes a certain gameplay strategy from your hand, it also doesn't allow for the recapitulation of the effects of colonialism. You cannot exploit peripheral cities for their "luxuries" to enhance your capital or core cities, while risking rebellion of those colonies. I think it would enhance the gameplay to make you choose how you run your empire. Perhaps you want to make all cities as equally happy as possible, or you want a specific core to be extra happy to get production boost, while having to patrol the other cities due to risk of rebellion.

At the moment, despite switching Civ6 back to a local happiness system, I feel like this is the same old "gather as many different luxuries as possible" game plan as V. I think having local happiness back should allow us more flexibility for how to run our civ and also for future addons. But with an automatic system of amenity assignment, much of this flexibility is taken away.

Looking forward to the community's thoughts on this! And I apologize if I missed a thread that is leading this discussion.

This is the best post I've seen all morning. It drives me nuts. Some cities, I don't want to push growth and already have poor housing, so I want those at Content, and my core cities at Ecstatic. Is that too hard to ask??

That's one of the changes that drives me nuts the most. I simply can'd understand why, in a game that's about micromanaging some aspects of your empire, they decided to take control away from the user and have it auto-manage such an important aspect of empire management. It's baffling.

Top Bottom