1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Map and province improvements for 1.4

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Mar 16, 2016.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Actually Tiberias on the CNM is way too north from that tile.
    Probably better to have the lake on the northern position, even if we move Tiberias 1 south.

2. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

@SanJose (and everyone else interested)
    Let's get on with the map improvements in Russia/Ukraine.
    Any suggestions?
    (other than Moscow being in the Murom province :p)

3. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

I think it's already been talked about and agreed on, but the Pskov tile should either be moved into the Novgorod province or (ideally) the area split off into its own province.

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Oh, yeah, that's also on my list for provinces in the area.
    "The four tiles directly east and southeast of Lake Peipus should probably be part of the Novgorod province, since they form the territory of Pskov. New province for Pskov?"

But before provinces we should talk about the terrain itself.
    What areas need to be changed/improved?

5. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

remove all Gems resources from Russia
    P.S. other ideas after work-time.

6. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I am near Rijeka atm. I would say change all costal tiles from plains to hills asap. From Fiume to Raguza. I dont see here any plains. I have been in zadar too thats also hilly right on the coast.

7. citis

citis Chieftain

Greek provinces:

Instead of Thessaly: Morea and Rumeli

Morea includes Peloponese and possibly aegean islands.
    Rumeli includes central Greece.

8. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

Would Hellas or Athens be better for Central Greece? Wasn't Rumelia not used for that area until the Ottoman conquest?

9. citis

citis Chieftain

Hellas is greater area. Athens is too specific. Rumelia wasn't used until ottoman conquest, but it bestly describes the area.

10. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

11. citis

citis Chieftain

I didn't know its existence as a theme. Yes, it fits. Only in the specific timeframe but it fits.

12. SanJose

SanJose Chieftain

let's start Dynamic Provinces Names Thread
    ;)

13. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

14. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

Isn't BSh and BSk semi arid? It's BW that is full desert.

The maps of olive groves across the Mediterranean generally covers BSh and BCa areas, so it seems viable to have the olives in that location.

15. srpt

srpt Deist

this is a really old bug, but the Moscow spawn tile is not in Muscovy province, it's in Murom

16. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

Yes. It makes sense to me that desert be represented by desert tiles and semi arid areas be represented by the new semidesert tile. That map shows only cold and hot semi arid areas. However, it's only a starting point and if it affects gameplay too much then the new Semidesert tiles can be used sparingly.

Generally yes, but that one tile in SE Spain is considered a Cold Desert Climate. It could be moved but it is not a big deal. I just noticed it.

17. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

Actually the Köppen classification treats BSk and BSh as intermediates between desert and humid. So that would have them being plains as it is now - not as fertile as grasslands but not as arid as deserts. Otherwise we'd desertify most of Spain and Anatolia which is not in line with the overall climate.

Semidesert would generally be for the cold desert climate imo, so that would only cover the one tile in SE Spain with the olives, and maybe the tile further north with the silver. Either way, both are hill tiles so wouldn't really be affected by moving to semi desert.

Semi desert can also replace desert around a fair chunk of the areas south of Tripoli, Cyrene and in Algiers and Oran. And of course keep it around Egypt to reflect the impact of the Nile on improving the desert climate around there and also in Mesopotamia if the map gets extended that far east.

18. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

Presentday spain has a couple of areas that are classified as (cold) semideserts today and also at least one that is classified as (hot) desert.
    (link is to the at least one -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabo_de_Gata-Níjar_Natural_Park )

Is this the one you are discussing about? Considering the temperature in the middle ages was a little higher than today I figure it should be a true desert tile.

On the other hand, semideserts are superior to deserts in (about) every way gameplaywise, so personally I am happy with every semidesert that is not a (full) desert (in Spain).

19. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

The temperature was not higher than today. The warm period in between the 9th and the 14th century which you are probably referring to is comparable to the temperature today. Other than that it was colder.

20. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

That Wikipedia link has no supporting references. The national park website specifically refers to it as a "a large semi desert area" which is probably more reliable.

The fact it is climate classified as a hot desert is largely due to it being coastal, so the mild Mediterranean night time temperatures keep the average above 18 when compared to cold deserts like the Gobi with no water to prevent regular sub zero temperatures in winter.