Map changes

Iapetus303

Warlord
I think the RFC map needs a few changes, most notably:

Greenland
In real life, Greenland contains a small amount of green land on the south coast (more so in Viking times), and the Vikings actually settled here, and it was from there that they went on to settle Vinland c. 1000 AD.

However, on the RFC map it is impossible to settle on or sail round Greenland in galleys, so the Vikings can't complete their UHV until the Renaisence (well after they had abandoned those settlements in real life) and when they are in competition with other civs, without using really cheesy tactics.

So suggest Greenland should have a couple of settleable times on the south or southwest coast (and the sea ice on the SE should be removed or reduced) to enable the Vikings to complete their UHV goal in a historically accurate time and method.

Admittedly this may make their UHV too easy, so maybe there would need to be some changes to the goal (e.g. settle in America by 1100 AD, or retain their colony into the 1500s.

Indus Valley
The Indus Valley (Pakistan area) was the cradle of one of the great ancient civilisations, with the geography of the area described by Wikipedia as "rich agricultural lands being surrounded by highlands, desert, and ocean".

Now, maybe I'm just being ignorant (I admit, I don't know that much about the area), but this doesn't seem consistent with the mass of festering swamp and jungle that chokes the half the area on the RFC map, and having done a brief Wikipedia and Google search on the geography of Pakistan, I can't work out what these are supposed to represent. The closest match seems to be the Indus Delta, but the marsh area seems far too big for this, and it covers where Hyderabad ought to be).

All in all, it seems to me that the marshy area should be reduced, making the Indus Valley more habitable and appropriate for a cradle of civilization (and giving the Indians a much-needed boost).

Does anyone else agree with my assessment?
Or am I overlooking significant historical and/or game balance issues?
And are there any modmods already addressing this issue?

Greenland isn't settlable in my modmod, but you can get to Newfoundland (and only Newfoundland) via galley now, without any OB exploit.

I think the swanp that's right where Atlanta should be in NA should be removed. I've never even heard of a swamp near one of the biggest southern cities in the US.

I think the RFC map needs a few changes, most notably:

Greenland
In real life, Greenland contains a small amount of green land on the south coast (more so in Viking times), and the Vikings actually settled here, and it was from there that they went on to settle Vinland c. 1000 AD.

However, on the RFC map it is impossible to settle on or sail round Greenland in galleys, so the Vikings can't complete their UHV until the Renaisence (well after they had abandoned those settlements in real life) and when they are in competition with other civs, without using really cheesy tactics.

So suggest Greenland should have a couple of settleable times on the south or southwest coast (and the sea ice on the SE should be removed or reduced) to enable the Vikings to complete their UHV goal in a historically accurate time and method.

Admittedly this may make their UHV too easy, so maybe there would need to be some changes to the goal (e.g. settle in America by 1100 AD, or retain their colony into the 1500s.

Indus Valley
The Indus Valley (Pakistan area) was the cradle of one of the great ancient civilisations, with the geography of the area described by Wikipedia as "rich agricultural lands being surrounded by highlands, desert, and ocean".

Now, maybe I'm just being ignorant (I admit, I don't know that much about the area), but this doesn't seem consistent with the mass of festering swamp and jungle that chokes the half the area on the RFC map, and having done a brief Wikipedia and Google search on the geography of Pakistan, I can't work out what these are supposed to represent. The closest match seems to be the Indus Delta, but the marsh area seems far too big for this, and it covers where Hyderabad ought to be).

All in all, it seems to me that the marshy area should be reduced, making the Indus Valley more habitable and appropriate for a cradle of civilization (and giving the Indians a much-needed boost).

Does anyone else agree with my assessment?
Or am I overlooking significant historical and/or game balance issues?
California needs a MASSIVE boost
I think the swanp that's right where Atlanta should be in NA should be removed. I've never even heard of a swamp near one of the biggest southern cities in the US.
Atlanta is built on a swamp like (IIRC) Berlin

The problem is, they need the marble commerce to be able to compete for their UHV religions.

Actually, Mumbai definitely needs a boost too, being one of the most powerful and populous city in india. It's often founded by the indians, but it's never really big. (Is it not your plan to make some of those changes in DoC, Leoreth ?)

When I have the time to actually do that :crazyeye:

The problem is, they need the marble commerce to be able to compete for their UHV religions.

In later games, I noticed that Delhi with no access to marble could still build The Oracle. I then decided to make Alphabet the second prerequisite tech.

Top Bottom