Map customization with randomization recommendations

Mr_PeaCH

Chieftain
I have a desire to be able to create random maps more extreme than the customization allowed for in the vanilla game. And I have not found a mod or map pack which speaks to this.

I envision an Arrakis (Dune) type map where almost everything is desert or hills or mountains with a few oases and a few rivers with floodplains. And then I would populate it with the civs with benefits to desert tiles, etc. But in the game you just get hot vs. normal vs. cold and wet vs. normal vs. dry. And even a hot / dry map still has a lot of grasslands, jungles, forests, etc.

Also I miss the maps which had no ocean or the inland sea was nice too; where are those options any more? Like maps that are heavily plains, or hills; things like that.

Suggestions?

I have a desire to be able to create random maps more extreme than the customization allowed for in the vanilla game. And I have not found a mod or map pack which speaks to this.

I envision an Arrakis (Dune) type map where almost everything is desert or hills or mountains with a few oases and a few rivers with floodplains. And then I would populate it with the civs with benefits to desert tiles, etc. But in the game you just get hot vs. normal vs. cold and wet vs. normal vs. dry. And even a hot / dry map still has a lot of grasslands, jungles, forests, etc.

Also I miss the maps which had no ocean or the inland sea was nice too; where are those options any more? Like maps that are heavily plains, or hills; things like that.

Suggestions?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's CivilizationVI\Base\Assets\Maps\Utility\TerrainGenerator

In this file you can adjust the amount of each terrain that is generated per map.

There are also files in the same file path for features and resources where you can adjust the amounts.

YnAMP map pack has some unique map options as well.

Thanks for the tip. I did go into the LUA files inc. terraingenerator but it didn't seem like changes I made such as the base values for Plains and for Desert (swapping them) had any effect to be honest. I created dozens of maps both with vanilla LUAs and with my modified ones but I could not see any real difference.

But you made me think maybe I'm not asking the right question.

Can any modders describe for me how the terrain and resource LUA files can be tweaked to get my desired effect of a mega-desert map?

Top Bottom