[Map script]Creation.py for FFH2

Wow, you guys are trying to put me to work! I will try to experiment with some of these options, but I'm right in the middle of a new map script with a new climate model intended to replace PerfectWorld that will be the base for map scripts for both Colonization and BtS. I'm up to my ears in some complicated code right now, but when I get to a comfortable stopping point, I'll try to get this done.

Is this script working fine for the current version? FFH2 is updated quite often =).

Right now this version is the same as the 'Erebus' mapscript that comes with .33. It works pretty well... There are still some minor bugs I haven't tracked down yet. Soon I'll have a version with some basic pulldown options.

hey there cephalo, first of all thanx for giving us FFH2 freaks a map that fits the theme perfectly :D

it took a while to get used to all the enclosed valleys, but now I love it. although sometimes it makes you wish that you could actually have access to that lush frasslands valleys right next to your starting spot... while you're stuck in a desert :lol: but that's not important really.

what does look and play bad imho, is the peak-chains enclosing coasts... it looks bad and unrealistic and block you from 1) having quick access to the sea, something that's really important in this mapscript , and 2) accessing all those seafood resources right beyond those peaks :( . I really think that all the peakchains enclosing valleys are already more than enough and there's no need for mountains blocking coasts. Creation doesn't have lots of water on it anyway, so it would be a lot better imho if all the coasts you have are actually useful. furthermore, it would make ships and naval strategies a lot more worthwhile, which should add a deeper layer of strategy and therefore fun. I'd be glad to hear your thoughts about this, thanx in advance for your reply :)

See Sto's "Full of Resources" for a great front end with every map option you could want.

thanx for mentioning - would that work with the "peaks on coasts" issue mentioned above? :)

edit: checked it and it doesn't seem like full of resources includes the erebus mapscript, or am I doing something wrong here?

Everyone is connected to everyone else via gates. However, if you are touching water the script considers that a gate, so in effect you cannot reach everyone by land. Perhaps if you could change it so that water cannot be considered a gate.

I suggest this because the map plays more like continents, where you will always have to go by sea at some point to reach everyone. I would prefer it if it played more like a inland sea/pangaea, where boats are completely optional in order to reach all the players.

Naval combat sucks and ferrying your army across the high seas is just too time consuming. I think if there was a section of code like in the highlands script that forces a path between all valleys it would improve the map for multiplayer. Maybe it could be a drop down options too since that's the current discussion.

Those are the reasons why I sometimes end up using the world editor to change a few peaks to hills. Too bad I can't un-remember what I see in the world editor.

I would love a more/less Watergates option.

[to_xp]Gekko;7243669 said:
hey there cephalo, first of all thanx for giving us FFH2 freaks a map that fits the theme perfectly :D

it took a while to get used to all the enclosed valleys, but now I love it. although sometimes it makes you wish that you could actually have access to that lush frasslands valleys right next to your starting spot... while you're stuck in a desert :lol: but that's not important really.

what does look and play bad imho, is the peak-chains enclosing coasts... it looks bad and unrealistic and block you from 1) having quick access to the sea, something that's really important in this mapscript , and 2) accessing all those seafood resources right beyond those peaks :( . I really think that all the peakchains enclosing valleys are already more than enough and there's no need for mountains blocking coasts. Creation doesn't have lots of water on it anyway, so it would be a lot better imho if all the coasts you have are actually useful. furthermore, it would make ships and naval strategies a lot more worthwhile, which should add a deeper layer of strategy and therefore fun. I'd be glad to hear your thoughts about this, thanx in advance for your reply :)

The reason that some valleys are separated from a neighboring sea by peaks is for fictional continuity, if you will... A valley with an altitude level of 3 or higher is actually on a plateau high above sea level. It takes a bit of imagination to see it that way though. The rule is that a valley that drains into the sea is at altitude level 1, the valley that drains into that is at altitude level 2, and the one that drains into that is at altitude level 3, etc. In order to explain why a valley next to the sea does not drain into that sea, I need it to be surrounded by something that would prevent that. Level 2 is surrounded by hills, providing access to the sea while explaining the alternate drainage route, but then I need something more for level 3 so you can 'see' the altitude difference. The only thing above hills is peaks, so to sell the illusion of greater altitude, I need peaks to differentiate level 2 from level 3.

So when you see a valley next to the sea that's all snowy and separated from the sea by peaks, think of it as a plateau that is several thousand feet above the sea level on top of sheer cliffs.

Those are the reasons why I sometimes end up using the world editor to change a few peaks to hills. Too bad I can't un-remember what I see in the world editor.

I would love a more/less Watergates option.

There is a tuning variable at the beginning of the script that will open up more gates between regions, if you get too crazy with it it will ruin the atmosphere of the map, but with some subtlety it will greatly increase the likelyhood that everything will be connected by land.

thanx for the reply cephalo :) for the next version of the mapscript it would be awesome to have a boolean value to easily turn off/on chains of peaks on coasts if that's not a lot of work for you. :D

Just a careful little question: have you already advanced in the next version of this nice script?

Thanks and keep up the awesomeness! ;)

It's migrated to the main mod/game. :)

Erebus(.py) is the mapscript you might like to chose if you like creation(.py). No need for an extra download and the most up to date version comes right with each new patch of FFH2 :). No need to wait... :)

Erm, still, it doesn't change just because there's a new FfH version coming out UNLESS cephalo creates a new version. And that's exactly what I was asking about. ;)

some more suggestions to improve THE mapscript for ffh : ;)

enclosed valleys are cool, but the map generator should make sure that there always is at least one passage to get the hell out of there by foot. we all know that the AI can't handle ships. I have a game going on where the scions spawned in a valley that had room for 2 cities only. they were on top for the first 100 turns or so. then I explored and realized that the valley they were in had no way out, 100% enclosed. and sure enough, they never set a settler on a ship to build a third city and after a while they were way below everyone else in score . so yeah, enclosed valleys are great and flavourful, but I think they should all have at least one "pass" between the mountains, otherwise tha AI is doomed :D

this could apply well to those regions that now get filled with peaks to make sure hyborem doesn't spawn there: instead of filling them with peaks, make the map generator open up a passage to the valley somewhere, so that there is more available land on the map to have fun with ;)

and I still think that all those peakchains on shores look bad. I'd LOVE an option to turn those off/on :)

about the enclosed area thingy: make it so that, if the valley's only exit is by water, the mountains directly linked to the water next to that valley are turned to hills.

Cephalo, the patch notes for 0.34 say that a new map script version is included.
What are the changes? :)

Cephalo, the patch notes for 0.34 say that a new map script version is included.
What are the changes? :)

Ah yes, I didn't update here yet because the new version won't work with .33

There is a new Marsh terrain.

I fixed a bug that created unreachable oceans in the map corner sometimes.

I created a drop down sea level option that also adjusts the map size to keep a similar amount of playing area. :eek:

I added a drop down climate option for arid, tropical, and cold options. :eek: I didn't know what to do with Rocky, so that one is ignored. This map is pretty darn rocky as it is. :D

Yipiyeah Cephalo! :)

What does sea level do if not increase/decrease the land area if lower/higher? Probably it affects the altitudes somehow I'd guess?
Is the temperature modifier effective on all areas in an equal manner (iE if cold is selected all deserts turn to plains, grass to tundra, tundra to snow -> the map is the same, just colder)?

Yeah, on high sea level altitude differences are smaller. It still works, but in my opinion it's a bit goofy. Low sea level looks better in that regard.

Climate modifiers just slide the thresholds for different terrains. There will still be deserts on a tropical map, but far fewer. Likewise there will still be jungle on an arid map. On a cold map the snow and ice will creep further out of the high altitude areas.

would it be possible to add an option dictating the connectedness of landmasses? No matter how much I tweak the settings (i'm no coder) I can't manage to get maps with all valleys connected via land.

Top Bottom