[Map Script] LandMasses

All-grassland maps are the general result when a serious problem arises in the section of the code which governs where land, hills, peaks, and oceans are placed. Fixing one problem which leads to this result may leave other problems unfixed or create other problems leading to the result.

Anyway, could you give me the details of the selected options that are generating the problem?

Thanks.

here they are:

Landmasses, Large, Temperate
Width: 104 Height: 64 (both no variation)
Min. Landmasses: 4 Max. landmasses: 8
(also tested with 10 landmasses, no variation)
Continents: 1 per landmass
(also tested with 20, no variation)
Continental Placement: more snaky
(also tested with normal & more rounded)
Landmass Buffer: No oversea ... (no variation)
Coastlines: rugged
(also tested with normal rounded)
Hills, Peaks: normal Mountain ranges: none
temperate, normal deserts, normal plains
Homogenity: normal
Woodlands: normal forest, normal jungles
Flood plains: normal
Ressources: standard
(also tested with some customized settings)

30/06 version of your script (older one worked).
version 2.5.1. of the python editor in your op installed (installed at the same time than 30/06 - none installed before).
i run around 20 tests with slightly different settings: always grassland.

Sorry, but so far those settings have succesfully produced completed maps without any errors for me. Could you tell me what you're selecting for 'Continent Distribution:' and 'Min/Max. Ocean:'? Have you tried redownloading the script?

Side note: your choice of snaky continents (or any other selection for the option 'Continent Placement:') would make no difference if maps were being succesfully generated since this option only affects land masses which contain 3 or more continents.

sorry, i was away over the weekend. i redownloaded the file and it's working now (strange, since it's compressed). sorry for bothering you and thank you for your support.

i could suggest a feature, if you're interested: "number of unpopulated landmasses" - no starting positions on a choosen amount of landmasses, so they can be explored and settled later (even if the number of civs is even or higher than the number of landmasses).

Don't worry about it.

That's an idea I've had at the back of my mind for a while - expanding upon the idea of a terra map - but it requires code for placing civs. I had a go at a simple placement code back before Christmas (when this script was only up at Apolyton) and it went badly. It's still on the to-do list.

Thedrin, do you have BTS yet? I picked it up today and I've just realised how spoiled how I was by this map script. Can't seem to get into the Fractal, Continents, etc scripts anymore and the new Hemisphere maps seem pretty lame compared to this one.

Anyway, this doesn't work with BTS and I'm wondering if you plan to make it compatible. This is the best I've yet seen at making a truly random world.

I won't have BtS for a few days yet. What's going wrong exactly? Is there no option to select LandMasses, does the game fail/crash when asked to use the script, or is it that the generated maps seem different in some way?

I do plan on getting BtS. I haven't made any significant changes to the script lately because I was specifically waiting for BtS to be released in case the script needed an overhaul after the expansion was released.

I can select LandMasses, but when I start to change some of the parameters - I think its ocean percentage specifically - the game crashes to the desktop. I've only tried it twice since I wanted to check out the game. I have no problems (so far) with anything else in BTS.

I probably won't have the game for a few days so in the mean time try reinstalling the map script to your BtS Public Maps folder. To be honest, if the game crashes while you are selecting options but before the map begins to generate then I suspect that it may not be a problem with the code.

If anyone else is having a problem - similar or otherwise - can they post about it?

I really like this map script! Some of your screenshots remind me of the Civ III continents/archipelago maps--much more interesting. Can't wait for the BtS version.

Thanks. Whatever else I may say about CivIII, I did love its continent maps. The screenshots are, I think, a bit outdated. The opening posts could badly do with some editing when I get back into making large changes to the script beyond BTS compatability. Certain aspects of the way landmasses and continents are placed have been altered since those shots.

BtS updates won't happen til next weekend at the earliest. Potter takes precedence.

BtS updates won't happen til next weekend at the earliest. Potter takes precedence.

Good priorities. And, btw, a fantastic map script. My gf and like playing hotseat games in resource-rich worlds, and your script is brilliant for that.

I second the problems with LandMasses and BTS, though. Crashed for me after selecting max. ocean, but I've tried only once.

I haven't found the game yet in this country (it was supposed to be released here on Friday) so a BtS compatable version of LandMasses may take longer than hoped.

I registered just to add how much I enjoy this Script. Its painfull not being able to use it in BTS! :)

Got the game.

The problem I experienced is a crash to desk top when selecting map options. It can occur when selecting any number of map options - not just the oceans options. It doesn't occur immeadiately. You can select some map options though it's unlikely that you'd make it through the entire list. Starting from the top and selecting items from most options, I most frequently generated the crash at 'Continent Placement'. I have not noticed this problem in any other script.

I have no idea what's going wrong with the script. No python errors are generated that I can see or am informed of. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful to hear them.

The script is capable of generating maps. The problem arises in the custom game menu, not beyond it.

For those that consistently use the same settings, there is a way to get around the crash:

Go into your CivIV or Warlords folder (depending on which version you used before BtS) and copy the file 'LandMasses.cfg'. Paste this file in the Beyond the Sword folder, copying over any file of that name which already exists. This file contains the options which were selected the last time you generated a map using LandMasses in Vanilla or Warlords. Selecting LandMasses in BtS will use these options as default.

Alternatively if no 'LandMasses.cfg' file exists in either the CivIV or Warlords folders then generating maps in either of these games will produce one though, since this requires changing discs, that seems like a lot of trouble.

Alternatively, again, generate a series of very small (so that the loading times are as short as possible) LandMasses maps in BtS, changing a few settings at a time. Each generated map will update the newly generated 'LandMasses.cfg' file so that eventually the default will be the prefered setting.

If you don't use the same settings consistently, but keep most of the options the same, then using any of the above should still be fine. In my experience the game allows you to make some changes to the map options before it crashes.

Thanks for the workaround Thedrin. Even though there are more steps involved, I find the maps generated by this script well worth the effort.

Yeah thanks for that Thedrin. Its a strange problem. I must admit, though, I've been having fun with the new Big and Small maps with a low sea level so that I can get colonies set up early. I'm sure it isn't adding to my victory chances but its good for a laugh.

Once I get bored with that I'll be back on LandMasses. What's best is not knowing whether I'm starting on a pangaea or one of four wildly separated continents or...well you get the picture.

How do I get a fresh start with this? Do you have to have python installed to generate maps with this? Or did you add functions in the script so "if" you load it up in python you'll then easily see?

Thanks!

Thedrin, thank you very, very, very much for this awesome script!
I recently got BTS expansion and got really frustrated with the default custom continents script. It kept placing me in small, fuzzy and ultimately unrealistic continents. I was already chewing the manual cursing firaxis when i stumbled on your script.

Now i'm happily headed to modern era when i'll be able to nuke every other civ in an organic world with strongly believable landmasses. Billions will die in a nuclear winter. All thanks to you :D

P.S. in order to use the script in beyond the sword i'm coping the .cfg file like you described in you workaround. If i can provide with some usefull information to help you solve the crash issure please feel free to ask

Top Bottom