1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Map Script] PerfectWorld.py

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Map Scripts' started by cephalo, Aug 23, 2007.

1. modifieda4

modifieda4 Chief Time Waster

i want to express my happiness over finding this map script. it freakin' rocks!

thank you Cephalo!:goodjob:

2. Elenhil

Elenhil Warlord

Is there a way of tweaking this script to produce "fatter" or more "solid" continents with less (or shorter and fatter) "tentacles" (I mean various fjords, gulfs, bays and thin peninsulas that make shorelines really crazy)?

3. modifieda4

modifieda4 Chief Time Waster

other map scripts have features for "natural coastlines" etc. mayve some searching will tell you the mechanism for those choices and you can alter the map script code manually yourself.

4. jake264

jake264 Chieftain

I am having a bizarre problem. I am not sure if it is related to this map or not, but I don't recall having this problem using the standard maps, and this is the only map I play on now. Leaders are popping up randomly long after the game has started ,and long after I have explored the whole world and not discovered them. These new leaders automatically take over some cities from pre-existing leaders without battle, and without cultural takeover or anything else, just PING, new leader now owns some cities previously held by a leader who started the game. These new leaders even take over their special units that were in the old cities (Brennus had redcoats for example). Last game I set up for 7 civilizations and ended up with 11! I have done a couple of reinstalls now and am still getting the same issue. Any help is appreciated.

5. Marshall Thomas

Marshall Thomas King

What are the main differences between the "Perfect World" map script and the "New World" map script?

6. Elenhil

Elenhil Warlord

My Python abilities are close to nonexistent. I hoped the authors or some of the more experienced modders/users could point me out a portion of the code which controls landmass "fatness" and coastline deterioration.

7. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Actually, the way this map works makes it very difficult to control the landmass shapes. You can get some results by changing the size of the maps, but even that is kindof difficult on this map. I may change this someday if I have time.

8. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Sounds like the AI's are creating vassals. You should get that in any BtS game.

9. cephalo

cephalo Deity

I think the New World maps use the old style world gen techniques from the stock maps, while SS is using my 'new world finding' code to determine what continents will be new or old.

So the difference is everything else but that. See the first post on this thread.

10. rezaf

rezaf Warlord

Is there (any chance of) a version of this mapScript fully compatible with FFH, with it's unique improvements and the new Marsh terrain type?

I tried a few games and really like the maps this script creates, and I have spotted some of the improvements as well, but obviously the requirements of where those should be placed are not in PW, neither is the Marsh terrain type...

Thanks
    _____
    rezaf

11. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

You might want to try the FlavourMod for FfH from my signature. Beside other things it puts FfH's unique improvements at appropriate places and adds marsh terrain. This works for any map script you want.

12. cephalo

cephalo Deity

This sounds like a good solution for now. I may create a version of FairWeather for Ffh in the future, but I'm busy with some other things for a while.

13. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Hey, this looks really awesome. :) I was just wondering how long it should take to load the map, and is it compatible with most mods?

14. cephalo

cephalo Deity

It takes a loooooong time. :) Slowest map script ever made.

It is compatible with any mod that uses standard terrains and features. For example, it used to work well with FfH, but now that FfH has marsh terrain, PW will still work but it won't place marsh.

15. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

I tried it out on a large world map size and I thought it must have crashed :lol: then I tried it out on a dual size and it loaded quick enough. It looks quite good, I noticed that snow covered trees only generate on tundra tiles now, is that right?

So if I understand you correctly it won't work with any mod that adds new features, like forests? :(

16. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Well, here is the issue. In this map script, terrains and features are usually placed according to the amount of rainfall and the temperature in the plot. Since there is no guidance in this regard from the XML in TerrainInfos or FeatureInfos, as an example I have to just 'know' that jungle occurs in a hot, wet area, and that 'desert' occurs in a warm, dry area. So that stuff is basically hard coded in the map.

Also, some features have special rules like oasis and floodplains.

However, if you know what climate a new feature or terrain needs, it's not that hard to edit the script to include. So if you want to add a new forest type like 'bamboo forest' or something thats between jungle and forest in it's climate needs, it would not be too hard to make a special version of PW to handle it. I can probably help in that regard also if you have a specific mod in mind.

17. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Thanks, well the mod I'm working on adds a variety of features like grass, rocks, flowers etc. that do absolutely nothing other than make the terrain look nicer ;) ... Anyway, at the moment I have them set up similar to forests - the tropical plants and flowers will spawn near the equator, and dry grasses and rocks will generate near the tundra.

There's going to be a lot of new features though (it's not quite ready) and it could be a lot of work to code in python.

18. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Sounds like a very interesting project for a map scripter. When you have it to the point where you can build a map, send me a PM. My new map script for Colonization (see sig) is a much improved (under the hood) version of this one, and is also much faster. I could base something off of that.

On these maps that I do, 'near the equator' or 'near the poles' are only very indirectly involved in governing things, since altitude and warming from the ocean can affect the resulting temperatures.

19. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Will do. ;) I have a few ideas for this project, and you might be able to make the placement for the features more accurate. For example, I was going to have coral just in the tropical coastal waters - but with your mapscript it might be possible to have coral in ocean tiles near coastal waters as well. If I tried setting coral to generate in ocean tiles at the moment then I would probably get a few out in the middle of the ocean, which wouldn't really make sense. :lol:

I'll let you know what features I have completed, and what I have planned in the meantime:

Spoiler Completed :
    Grass - Generates on empty grass tiles, and has different graphics for the grass found near the poles (has a small amount of snow on the texture).

Flowers - Generates on empty grass tiles, and has different graphics for artic, temperate and tropical zones.

Plants - Generates on empty grass tiles, and grassy hills, it's just a small tree and bush which sits on the corner of the tile - this has different graphics for each zone.

Reeds - Generates on grass tiles, near rivers.

Weeds - Generates on empty plains tiles, it's mostly grass with a few thistles. Different graphics for plains near the poles.

Plateau - Rare, generates on desert tiles.

Cactus - desert tiles.
    Spoiler Planned :
    Rocks, for all terrains.

Coral, for warmer, shallower waters.

Wildlife.

Landmarks, should be very rare.

I have it coded so that bonuses can generate on top of the features, so as not to effect their placement. However, there was one issue that someone brought up in the thread - forests and jungles wouldn't be able to spread to tiles that already had a feature in them. I haven't found a solution for this yet. :( It's not game breaking, but still rather annoying.

Anyway, it would be great if you could find the time to make your script support the extra features. I can envision Perfect World covered with plants and wildlife already. :D

20. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Improvements are another thing you can use to stack on terrain tiles. FfH uses lots of them for monster lairs etc. So if you want to combine two features, you can have one of them be an improvement instead. Although, it would be destroyed if someone built another improvement on top of it.