[map-script] Ring World

ruff_hi

Live 4ever! Or die trying
This mapscript is based by Larry Niven's Ring World book(s).

This map script constructs a long skinny map that is only 12 tiles high. Note that the map wraps left to right so Civ4 puts ice caps on the top and bottom. The width of the map depends upon the size selected by the user. The top and bottom 4 tiles of the map are water. The other 4 tiles form the 'land' section and will be land or water based on a user selection.

The user has two options: land density and region strength.

Land Density
  • Solid - The 'land' section is all land
  • Semi-solid - The 'land' section is land with some water
  • Large Islands - The 'land' section has some water so that large islands are formed
  • Small Islands - The 'land' section has more water so that small islands are formed
  • Land / Water mix - The 'land' section is a mixture of water and land

Regions
There are 4 regions in the map: underlying, plains, desert, hills. The user can designate how strongly regional the map is. Options include:
  • Zero
  • Weak
  • Moderate
  • Strong
  • Extreme

Here is the link to the script and some links to a few games (including pictures) that were played using it ...

I love this. Is there any way I could edit it so that it's slightly wider around the ring? Maybe.. 15-18 cells rather than 12?

Apologies if this is an easy/incredibly difficult thing to do. I have no knowledge of programming whatsoever. xD

That should be possible. I'll see if I can add a drop down that controls the height of the land (currently set at 4).

Note: Increasing the land alone will prove to be unfruitful. It'll allow civs to completely blockade in one direction simply by refusing open borders. Currently, max cultural borders still allows for one cell of international waters on both sides of the map.

no - I'm thinking of an option to adjust the height of the map but always have 4 tiles of water on both top and bottom

This map has great potential to be a teamer map, is it possible if you could update this to have a "Team Start togather" option? If so, i can see this being used on Multiplayer Teamer games.

Top Bottom