Maps Inquiry

Bobbarry51

Chieftain
I have recently started playing Civilization V again on what is new computer. I have Civilization V in my Steam library. I will assume that I downloaded from there when I started playing again.

I originally purchased the Civilization V disk which I still have. I also purchased the Brave New World expansion disk which I still have. I do not have Gods and Kings expansion.

I was looking online at the available randomly generated map scripts that came with the game and expansions. When setting up a new game I am looking at my available maps and I am missing a lot of the maps that are apparently available. In particular, I am looking for the Large Islands map. Other maps I am missing partially include: Amazon, Amazon Plus, Americas, Arborea and so on.

Now maybe I am missing all these maps because I did not buy the G&K expansion but from what I am reading I should have these since I own the BNW expansion disk. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Perhaps I should install the game directly from the disks? If the maps I want are on the disks I own, maybe I can copy them over? Thank you for your time.

This is a list of the map scripts on the Civ5 wiki. However, it does not seem to tell me what DLC they were in.

The regular wiki discusses the map packs under the additional content paragraph.
Spoiler :

Additional content​

Besides the 18 civilizations available in the standard retail version, additional civilizations can be downloaded.[50][51] Babylon under Nebuchadnezzar II was announced as a bonus civilization included in the Steam and Direct2Drive Digital Deluxe Editions,[50][52] and later offered for all on October 25, 2010.[53] Mongolia under Genghis Khan as well as a Mongolian themed scenario was added with a free update on October 25, 2010.[53]

Spain, under Isabella, and the Inca Empire, under Pachacuti, as well as a similarly themed scenario were offered as the first "Double Civilization and Scenario Pack" on December 16, 2010.[54] The "Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia" was released on March 3, 2011, and adds the Polynesian Empire under Kamehameha I.[55] The "Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark" was released on May 3, 2011, and features the Danish civilization under Harald Bluetooth, similar to the Viking civilization from previous games.[56] On August 11, 2011, the "Civilization and Scenario Pack: Korea" was released featuring the Korean civilization under Sejong the Great.[57]

On August 11, 2011, a "Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack" was released adding three new ancient wonders – The Temple of Artemis, The Statue of Zeus, and The Mausoleum of Halicarnassus – as well as a scenario based around the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. This was the first time that new wonders were added as DLC.[57]

Additionally, several downloadable map packs were offered as a pre-order bonus from various retailers: Steam, "Cradle of Civilization: Mesopotamia"; Amazon.com, "Cradle of Civilization: Asia"; Gamestop and Play.com, "Cradle of Civilization: The Mediterranean"; and "Cradle of Civilization: The Americas." All four maps were later made available for purchase through Steam. Coinciding with the release of the "Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark" on May 3, 2011, an "Explorers Map Pack" was released featuring map types inspired by real-world locations like the Amazon and Bering Strait.[56] In late 2012 the developers released the source code of the core game part to support the modding community.[40][42] Mods may be downloaded via the Steam Workshop for either version.[58] As of July 2013, the OS X version (Not to be confused with the steam version) does not officially support mods, although working around and moving files from and to certain folders will enable them.[59]

An independently developed software known as Giant Multiplayer Robot makes use of the hotseat multiplayer mode in Civilization V to mimic the play-by-email functionality that was present in previous Civilization series titles.[60]

Hope this helps.

There's this post on reddit:
BNW includes G&K's changes, however, it doesn't include the extra playable civs, the extra map scripts, or the scenarios. Overall, you can make do with just BNW, but you'll get a lot more playable civs and such if you go with Complete.

Checked my game files and I can confirm that these are G&K maps:
1686378099274.png

I'd assume that Steam and disk versions are identical, so installing from the disks wouldn't change anything.

Thank you vadalaz, leif erikson, Nizef.

Yes, you are correct, those maps are not included in the disks I have.

Oh well, I can use the archipelago map and lower the sea level to get my large islands.

Thank you again for your help!

Top Bottom