MasNES I: Ghosts of Empires - Preview Thread

Hey - are you still accepting characters for this? I don't post here often but this NES caught my eye.

If you are, could you give me any information about the law and order situation in Pulau Emas? Is there a criminal underworld yet? What about an opium/narcotics trade?

Yeah, I am.

I guess broadly speaking there's two kinds of crime. The first involves groups of Malay youths from the same or nearby villages who rob travelers and raid other villages. These gangs use silat and weapons such as parang or arit. They tend to target Chinese in particular but avoid Europeans like the plague. The second are Chinese men who act as enforcers for rural loan sharks and handle the opium and prostitution games for their better-heeled bosses. Periodically, they get into turf wars which the Kapitans have to resolve. Usually, the Kapitans just turn out their own men to beat the factions into submission. These guys are mostly concentrated in the Chinese slums that surround the capital and near the major mining areas south of the capital. They avoid the Europeans, but given their proximity to the capital are sometimes hard to ignore. Correspondingly, the Europeans hate them and have talked about dealing with the issue on more than a few occasions.

As to law enforcement, there's none really. The Native Rifles post guards around the European parts of town and patrol the city when required and put down the rare riot. Actual 'policing' is mostly in the hands of neighborhood watches which the government requires all neighborhoods and kampong to have. This doesn't work all that well for the Chinese because a lot of them in slums and not neighborhoods. The kampongs guards tend to work better because they're related to each and come from a discrete world of their own. That also tends to mean they have a very dim view of people from the outside who do them wrong. The usual punishment for even minor theft if the person is an outside is a severe beating (sometimes to death). As this might suggest, the courts don't by and large care about the small stuff. Although district officers can and do. But there's no district officer for the capital and its surrounding areas... so things can be quite wild.

The Judicial Officer is meant to investigate all serious crimes bought to him. But he tends to palm investigations involving natives and Chinese over to the junior clerks and the Kapitans respectively. Crimes involving Europeans and Eurasians he retains and investigates personally. There's been some attempt to push for a "modern police force" but that's still a pipe-dream at this stage. (Surabaya, a much larger city, didn't get one until 1911). There might be room for a roving investigator hired by the Judicial Officer to handle cases he doesn't want. But that person would have to be a European or at a stretch a Eurasian. There's also a lot of room to be a Malay bandit or a Chinese premen. And at least spot available to be the kind of "merchant" who has a lot of young men on his payroll. I hope that helps.

I've decided I'll be updating this weekend. The update will be about three months.

Yeah, that's fine. A lot of people have been busy. That's why the update is moving things forward only a couple of months.

Top Bottom