massive fps drops, what can be reason?

tramwajg

Warlord
Hi, after playing for longer time (like 12 hours) civilization 4 slows down greatly, and only restarting computer makes it run smooth again (restarting civ has no effect), what can be reason? it's problem because my computer seems to be broken and often it makes "beep beep beep" sound instead of turning on, so that I only make it standby for nights, never shut down, anyone knows solution for it? at the beginning after restarting computer, civilization 4 is working in about 30-60 fps, after about 12 hours it drops to 1-2. can it be dependent on number of cities or civs on map? when all other civs were in prehistoric era they had only one city, but after they entered ancient era and started to create new cities, it slowed down greatly. another weird thing is that happens in any new started game, even if there are no cities on map yet.

also one more question: after upgrading any mars tile to green mars, it seems like there already exists terrain improvement called "terraform toward green mars" as visible on screen, and it's not possible to build anything else besides maglev route, maybe I am missing some research? same applies to moon, picture: https://i.ibb.co/rk1Psqz/mars-terraforming.png

I have experienced Lagg issues but only when there where more then 50 Civs. So that might be the problem but on your map it doesn't show to be more then 15 civs.

Could this be related to Civ IV's memory leak issue?

CIV IV is notorious for it's memory leak issues and inability to use more than 2GB of RAM. The issue is exacerbated when playing large mods and maps, which apparently you are doing here.

A little patch was developed that I actually just became aware of recently. It patches the main BTS exe file to enable better RAM usage. It can be found here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/increase-memory-on-64bit-machines.544026/

It's very simple to apply the patch.

Another little trick you can do when the game starts to slow down is use the CTL+SHIFT+ESC keys. Press and hold in that order. The Task Manager will pop up and minimize the game. This seems to refresh the machines RAM and you should notice improved performance for a while. Just repeat again when the game starts lagging again.

Keep in mind though that some large modpacks do run slower than others and simply use more memory. I consider it actually pretty impressive that you played for 12 hours before things got real bad. My games usually start lagging after about an hour and that is without mods...welll...except for BUG or BAT of course.

As for you mod related question, I suggest you take that over to that mod's forum. I don't even know what that mod is.

Oh..on another note...not shutting down your machine regularly is not really good as that refreshes RAM. So I would look into your issue. I'm not sure what could be the problem, but it appears to be OS related. You might want to consider a hard drive reformat by reinstalling the OS. The machine should come with a disk for that, unless you or someone built it.

Last edited:
It's because you're playing a C2C space map in the galactic era, for 12 hours straight :)
In all seriousness, you should post this in the C2C subforum, though I'd assume that what previous posters are saying about the memory leak issue are correct

nice:) seems it works, also I reduced resolution to 1280x800 and windowed game (earlier I played on full screen 2560x1440) and seems it's better
ye, galactic era is best fun;D although these issues seemed to be independent of it, when I started new game in prehistoric era, it was exactly same until I restarted computer
thanks for all advices, this shortcut for task manager may help:) my computer configuration is GTX780, intel quad core i7, ram 32gb, ssd 128gb, although from what I heard it does not matter due to game being old and incapable of using bigger memory

it's problem because my computer seems to be broken and often it makes "beep beep beep" sound instead of turning on
It sounds like your computer has an issue passing the Power-On-Self-Test (POST) due to some hardware problem. I had this issue with a previous laptop. After shutting down or rebooting, the laptop would not pass POST, and it would just freeze there and not reboot. It would often take several times to get it to turn on, which is nerve-wracking. As a result, I tried to keep the laptop on as long as possible, never rebooting or shutting-down and just using Standby mode (which doesn't use POST).
I was also having an issue where, when adjusting the laptop's screen--or just randomly--Windows would make the unplug/plug sound, as if I had unplugged a USB thumb drive. As it turns out, the common cause of both of these issues was that the laptop's webcam/microphone cable had become damaged. Both problems stopped when I unplugged the webcam/microphone's cable from the laptop's motherboard.

If I were you, I would check your all your computer's cables, as well as run a memory test.

thanks:) I recently bought new computer with rtx 3080 and ryzen 9 5950, caveman2cosmos works awesome on it so far;D
I will get back to your post if I ever have similar problem with computer, useful advice and impressive computers knowledge:)
As a result, I tried to keep the laptop on as long as possible, never rebooting or shutting-down and just using Standby mode
exactly same;D I was so angry if there was electricity failure or windows updates:D

Top Bottom