Mathematics

Goonie

Lonely End of the Rink
I think it is time we start researching Mathematics, because both Poly (found out today) and GC want it. It seems to be the tech of choice.

I think that we need to go ahead and start working our way to Great Library. Do a prebuild and try to snag that wonder before anyone else can. I fear that may be our best chance at keeping pace in the tech race.

I think if we get the great library we might be subject to attack--though it still might be worth doing.

If we get the Great Library, we can concentrate 100% on military units. Given that, I say let them come. Our military will decimate them at every pass.

Besides, a simple promise to Apolyton (just to pick one) to provide them with techs as we get them and we've got ourselves an ally to rid the hemisphere of our other enemies. Don't fear the Great Library. It's your friend. ;)

Even if we want to go to Great Library(which is open to debate) we might as well get math, because no one is going for it! Which means, there are THREE nations we may sell it to! So even if we research math, we are still indirectly researching Writing, because it is a gurantee that someone will trade it to us.

Look at it this way.

We research math. We trade it for Writing + Two other trades.

We research Writing. We get nothing more than writing.

FortyJ, good point on focusing on military expansionism.

with all the forests in Shen Ling, I think we could pull it off using a pyramids prebuild.

Goonie, you are right saying math lands us writing. Because even if it doesn't, then we will still get writing on our own first anyway ;)

Goonie
I've thought a good bit about this Mathematics for Writing guarantee you're espousing.

The fact is that there is no guarantee that we'll be the first to discover Mathematics either. If one of the other nations discovers Math first, then we're totally shafted. Unless there's concrete evidence that shows that none of our 3 neighbors are pursuing Math, I would be extremely reluctant to abandon a critical tech such as Writing.

Or each of the other Nations are trying to get us (and maybe the others too) off the Writing tech path. Maybe they don't really want Mathematics, they just want us researching it to ease their tech race. I know we didn't have much time to talk about this, but I think more talk was warranted before the poll.

Remember though that we should have a backup for pre-build of Great Pyramids. If some other nation that we have no contact to builds it before we get Lit. it can really mess us up. So if it is neccesary then put the science 100% for maximum effect. After that we can research Currency (marketplaces). No one obviosley will try to research that tech so if we get a head start we can get it way before them.

Top Bottom