Maximum number of civs on huge pangea map

Erm...

In my experience, fully populated Large is (more than) enough for me — and I'm not keen on Pan-maps generally, because of how stupid-fast the early-game tech-pace can be, due to the AIs all meeting and trading during the first 50-70T.

So if you survive the first couple of MA-dogpiles against you, well done! Now prepare for a long and grindy game — unless doing this at DG+ (in which case, be prepared for a short and brutal loss!) ;)

One should also keep in mind that AIs are eager to fight among themselves. So even at demigod and above chances for a favourable outcome are not that slim. Also larger maps mean larger chunks of land per tribe. If we compare 8 tribes on 100x100 vs 16 tribes on 160x160, then the later overs 28% more land per tribe. Arguably this increases the chances to survive the initial 100 to 150 turns. Once you are a republic with 10+ cities of size 10+ your economy should enable you to use gtp to shape the diplomatic landscape: Fuel war among AIs, let them grind each other down while you prosper in relative peace.

I played lots of 250x250 31 civs and a few 362x362. No longer have the drive for such a long slog.

As to pointers, those games were all AWE or AWD. I would only say, do not play them as AWD, seldom win. If you use a non modded version and it is not an AW game, expand quickly as you will hit the 512 (iirc) city limit. At that point every turn try to settle. The AI will often stop making settlers and if a town is razed, it will not be replaced. That is your friend. Have settlers ready at all times.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback

Lots of good considerations

I am not that experienced, so I think I will give it a go on Regent (maybe Emperor) level.

Will use Iroqois for agricultural and commercial traits - these seem important for this setup and map size

Plan would be to do aggressive early expansion and focus most recources on that while sending units to make contact with other civs to trade tech. Avoid war until all nearby tiles are occupied

Switch to Monarchy and wage war while inciting conflicts between AI’s.

Let us see how it goes 🙈

Top Bottom