Maxing Faith on Expanse Pantheon: Monument or Shrine first?

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
I was curious if anyone had ever taken a strong look at this. For your secondary cities, does Expanse generate more faith with monument or shrine first?

Obviously shrine first gives you the base +2 FPT, does the culture (and therefore border growth) from an early monument match that during the religion race period, or is it better in terms of faith to stick with shrine first.

Good question,
A border pop is 20 faith in ancient era on normal speed, thats 10 turns worth of shrine.
It also adds 10 hammers, authority (tribute policy) adds another 30 hammers (and the same for free on settle).

A monument builds at the same speed as a shrine but border pop gets more and more expensive.
Costs is 95.

Looking at these numbers I'd say its slightly less faith going monument first and the increased border pop cost is what probably makes shrine first slightly better,
but you get culture benefits, and thanks to the extra hammers its still likely to be faster than a lot other beliefs where you go shrine first.

If you're tradition, monument first might get you more faith out of expanse on the short term. Shrine will win out in pure faith most of the time though (but monument for more production from expanse/faster policies is probably better).

In most cities the monument first does provide about 1 extra border expansion so they are about even with each other in faith. (as tradition)

With progress or authority shrine first gets more faith on average, especially if you have any extra culture sources. You still get a lot of culture by monument first though.

It the end, it is just a question of math, but it has quite a lot of variables which I exact numbers I doesnt know right now.

But let's have some simplified example. For simplification reasons let's assume your new city has an average 5 :c5production: during the time for building both the shrine and monument and no other boni from growth, culture, production or gold. All at standard speed.
I took the 5 :c5production: for simple reasons, first we will have for our little calculations natural numbers, second, it is quite realistic to have an average of 5 :c5production: during 26 turns, if you consider, that you might have 2 to 3 policies unlocked, settled on hill, forest tiles and population growth.
A shrine and monument are together (2*65 :c5production: =) 130 :c5production:. With 5 :c5production: per turn it takes 26 turns for both buildings to be built.

You have a 2 case situation:

Case A:

City Founded -> 13 turns for Shrine first -> 13 turns for Monument second

You will have after 26 turns

13*2*:c5faith: = 26 :c5faith:

Case B:

City Founded -> 13 turns for Monument first -> 13 turns for Shrine second

That part is more tricky, because it depends on the time needed for the borderblob.

If I remember correctly the first border blob at standard speed is after 30 culture.

A monument with Expanse produces during the shrine build time

13*2*1.5:c5culture: = 39 :c5culture:

towards the border blob. But we need just 30 :c5culture: for the blob, giving you 20:c5faith: and 10:c5production:

You reach your border blob after

30:c5culture: / (2*1.5 :c5culture:) = 10

That means after 23 turns you get your blob, giving you the bonus.
That shrinks the time for the shrine by two turns.

So in total you will have

20:c5faith: + 2*2:c5faith: = 24 :c5faith:

I hope I didnt maken a major mistake here. ;)
If you look at that simplified example, shrine first gives you 2 :c5faith: more, but your city will only contribute 2*2 :c5culture: towards your social policies.
Monument first gives less faith, but 22 :c5culture: towards your social policy.

If you want to even out the example a bit more and add the first border blob for case A you will have

[(13+10)*2 + 20]*:c5faith: = 66 :c5faith:

and 20 :c5culture:

In case B you will have after the same time just 20 :c5faith: extra, total 44 :c5faith:, but 42 :c5culture:. Looks less, but you are closer to the next border blob. But sadly I dont have the culture cost formula for bordergrowth at hand now, so its hard to tell which is better in the long run, but your deadline is anyway to get to 800 :c5faith: for the prophet.

But that only works in that simple case. Normally the production time for the first building is longer then the one for the second one. 5 :c5production: for the first one might be a bit much, for the second one a bit to few.
It highly depends on your city location, the potential help of a worker, your chosen policies and your potential civs boni.
In general you can say, the higher your production, the better is to go for monument first, the lesser, it is shrine first.

Top Bottom