Mayan Long Count

You can pick these in any order you want; you just can't duplicate unless you complete the full set first.

Personally I think it may be best to pick GP first; this can be about the time you get a GP naturally so you get to enhance your religion shortly after founding instead of waiting.

Oops I meant Great Person for GP. I was just wondering if anyone ever got Theology quickly enough to get the Great Person for Bak'tun 3 into 4.

I'm starting to like this UA. The fact that you keep churning out early GP means you can't ever get one from your city's GP points early on, because the price increases faster than you can generate it at that stage of the game. This of course sounds like a bad thing. However, in my current Maya OCC at about turn 300 (epic pace) with a little micromanagement I managed to bring all the points I had been generating for Artist, Scientist, and Engineer for the entire game close enough together so that they all spawed on the same turn, add in all the faith I had been saving and I got a second scientist, and just a few turns later a 3rd scientist (again from faith purchase). :crazyeye: Soooo many GP tiles. Must...finish....freedom

Oops I meant Great Person for GP. I was just wondering if anyone ever got Theology quickly enough to get the Great Person for Bak'tun 3 into 4.

Don't have the game at hand, but if you are referring to the L/C GP that you can choose on turn 62 (standard speed) if you finish Theology by turn 60, then yes, done it a number of times, on Immortal and below (not Diety, since you basically won't get the GL).

A lot of things need to go well, since you need great production to get GL/NC done quickly (including hammers from chopping forests) AND grow quickly enough to have the population to research Drama and Theology quickly. Having some 3-food tiles (e.g., cows) and luxuries that do not require trapping, masonry or sailing are helpful. it's great when you pop Calendar (to start on Drama & Poetry sooner) and/or Mining (for chopping) from ruins. Free-population ruins are also golden.

Don't have the game at hand, but if you are referring to the L/C GP that you can choose on turn 62 (standard speed) if you finish Theology by turn 60, then yes, done it a number of times, on Immortal and below (not Diety, since you basically won't get the GL).

A lot of things need to go well, since you need great production to get GL/NC done quickly (including hammers from chopping forests) AND grow quickly enough to have the population to research Drama and Theology quickly. Having some 3-food tiles (e.g., cows) and luxuries that do not require trapping, masonry or sailing are helpful. it's great when you pop Calendar (to start on Drama & Poetry sooner) and/or Mining (for chopping) from ruins. Free-population ruins are also golden.

Now I tried again, and I actually meant has anyone ever gotten Theology for the Great Person before that for Bak'tun 2 to 3. I can always get the one for 3 to 4 and got really close to 2 to 3. Gotta speed up the techs between Writing and Theology somehow or hope for a tech rune for Philo or Drama.

I think you only get Ancient Era techs from ruins. Can't recall ever getting classical or later era techs.

The first two took Admiral and General as suggested...
Then it was Engineer (wonder), Merchant (CS Ally and $$ for settler), Great Artist (to extend Golden Age), Scientist (saving), Prophet (extra faith points).

Some1 followed a bad suggestion - in 99% of cases its obviously best to take a great scientist - next ones dependent on game situation. (great artists is usually saved best for end)

Early Admiral can be a good selection. Being able to explore the oceans earlier than anyone other than Polynesia is a huge boon. I can't recommend picking the General before Scientist/Engineer, though.

Early Admiral can be a good selection. Being able to explore the oceans earlier than anyone other than Polynesia is a huge boon. I can't recommend picking the General before Scientist/Engineer, though.

I like the general sometimes when the strategic resource your Civ craves taunts you from the fourth ring :lol:

The last end point is 2012. You can work backward from there every 394 years.

The Long count continues after 2012, I was bored, just got Mayan bonus on turn 1,216 2408AD, but safe to say most games would have finished by this time.

Finally got Theology on Bak'tun 2.12... I think and I wasn't even trying, but it was ruin luck because I got two settlers, so the extra pop and pyramids must have been just enough. I'm not sure it would be possible without ruins, unless maybe with a ton of food near your capital to grow your city fast for more science.

I've tried a bunch of times, but the earliest I've finished Theology is turn 53 on higher difficulty levels and Standard sized maps. Haven't tried it on Settler difficulty or smaller maps (Small, Tiny and Duel maps have reduced tech costs compared to Standard, and Settler gets much juicier ruins, including free settlers and workers).

I've tried a bunch of times, but the earliest I've finished Theology is turn 53 on higher difficulty levels and Standard sized maps. Haven't tried it on Settler difficulty or smaller maps (Small, Tiny and Duel maps have reduced tech costs compared to Standard, and Settler gets much juicier ruins, including free settlers and workers).

Interesting, I never knew about the different ruins for different levels. I was just fooling around on Quick Settler Standard against one opponent to see how large of a science empire I could get.

Yeah, I just fired up a Small Pangaea on Settler and got Theology done on turn 47 (Standard speed) - Ba'aktun 2.10.6.15.5. First Long-Count GP popped on turn 52.

Popping a settler and worker from ruins and chopping a lot of forests did the job (chopped 4 forests in second city to get granary, pyramid and library, which helped more than just pyramid, GL, NC and granary in capital has ever done).

But who wants to play on Settler?

Yeah, I just fired up a Small Pangaea on Settler and got Theology done on turn 47 (Standard speed) - Ba'aktun 2.10.6.15.5. First Long-Count GP popped on turn 52.

Popping a settler and worker from ruins and chopping a lot of forests did the job (chopped 4 forests in second city to get granary, pyramid and library, which helped more than just pyramid, GL, NC and granary in capital has ever done).

But who wants to play on Settler?

I usually do Settler for weird stuff like that or to test things. I still haven't gotten the courage to even try King though. I usually just play to try weird things and not even to win sometimes.

FYI there is a t48 baktun on Quick speed, I got it this week and noticed it was missing from the list. Presumably there is also a ~t41 and ~t35. (to equate to the t52 and t62 baktuns from standard speed... t48 = t72)

The t35 would seem almost impossible to get on Quick.. :boggle:

I think the list was just for Standard.

It would be interesting to see a list of Long-Count turns at other speeds, but that would require a fair amount of patience to compile.

Yeah, I should have noticed that. The Standard list can start at turn 52 (although I've only gotten Theology by turn 50 once - popped Writing and Mining from ruins).

Top Bottom