Medieval cities, roads and traders after Industrial Era?

Narvana

Chieftain
I really like the idyllic atmosphere of first four eras in Civ 6, but when it all changes into big, smokey cities with grey roads and trucks, I kinda lose the whole mood.

I wanted to switch some files to keep all the things that change (cities, roads, basic civil units, improvements, districts, etc.) medieval to the end of the game but I don't even know where to start.

Any ideas?

I think a change like this would require a level of experience far beyond what you have, sadly, looking at your other threads. Probably involves the Asset Editor, ArtDefs, etc. I don't even know how to go about it, really.

I think a change like this would require a level of experience far beyond what you have, sadly, looking at your other threads. Probably involves the Asset Editor, ArtDefs, etc. I don't even know how to go about it, really.
Well, no one will do it for me so it's better to start getting required experience now. Goals are not set by experience, rather by the need.

Cities.artdef looked particularly promising since the only changing things in the code are listed eras and four different types of elements: "Medieval_City", "Industrial_City", "Modern_City", "Ancient_City" -- which would match the number of all era models for cities. Sadly, interacting with them changed absolutely nothing...

Code:
<Element>
                <m_Fields>
                    <m_Values>
                        <Element class="AssetObjects..ArtDefReferenceValue">
                            <m_ElementName text="Ancient_City"/>
                            <m_RootCollectionName text="Cities"/>
                            <m_ArtDefPath text="StrategicView.artdef"/>
                            <m_CollectionIsLocked>true</m_CollectionIsLocked>
                            <m_TemplateName text="StrategicView"/>
                            <m_ParamName text="XrefName"/>
                        </Element>
                        <Element class="AssetObjects..ArtDefReferenceValue">
                            <m_ElementName text="ERA_ANCIENT"/>
                            <m_RootCollectionName text="Era"/>
                            <m_ArtDefPath text="Eras.artdef"/>
                            <m_CollectionIsLocked>true</m_CollectionIsLocked>
                            <m_TemplateName text="Eras"/>
                            <m_ParamName text="Era"/>
                        </Element>
                    </m_Values>
                </m_Fields>
                <m_ChildCollections/>
                <m_Name text="City001"/>
                <m_AppendMergedParameterCollections>false</m_AppendMergedParameterCollections>
            </Element>

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure how to mess with the base game artdefs and such; stuff in the database is a simple Replace, but you'd either have to change the properties of stuff not in the database, or change a lua file, if one exists, that governs the graphics of a city. Or replace the base game art assets for the later eras entirely.

Last edited:
I can't tell you why, the mod works just fine for me as of the writing of this post.
It's not like it's giving me some bug report. It's just doesn't change anything in game even though I checked 20 times if it's activated. I tried both Steam and civfanatics versions. Weird. :/

Hi, i plan to remove the trucks for the Industrial era (for the personal mod i am currently working on /(ech eand civic tree change essentially to aim more credible timeline) did you find how to do such thing finally?

Hi Narvana - I think Cities.ArtDef manages the icons in the strategic view of cities e.g.

I'm tentatively looking into a similar thing in my spare time too. I think the CityGenerators.ArtDef looks like a more promising lead:
upload_2018-4-24_17-33-5.png

Presumably the 'Tag_Era' column in the block table (selected in the above picture) for the CityCenter_BlockList controls when cities and districts change their aesthetic according to era, so maybe all you would need to do his change the instances of ARTERA_INDUSTRIAL and ARTERA_MODERN to ARTERA_CLASSICAL?

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-24_17-29-12.png
    upload_2018-4-24_17-29-12.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 226
Top Bottom