Medieval Russian set

Pre-Christian and early medieval architecture.

Spoiler :

Russian late medieval red brick walls.

Spoiler :

And some info for unit modelling.

Link to video.

Mediaval Infantry:
Spoiler :

Archers:
Spoiler :

Medieval Pikeman:
Spoiler :

Swordsman:
Spoiler :

Cavalry:
Spoiler :

[/IMG]

The red brick churches (and even the "more generic buildings") are beautiful :eek: Let's hope it will give Kyriakos some inspiration for an other set, maybe something closer to the Renaissance era.
Veles, you may not know that Sandris has made a lot of great Russian units. Did you try them ?

Yeah, I saw them here, they're really good.

I'm not a designer, and haven't actually played Civ in years. But since I'm Russian and since I like to pretend that I know a thing or two about achitecture, here's some suggestions to anyone willing to make a Russian set and keep it more or less historically accurate:

Ancient times

Spoiler :

Cities should be entirely of wood.

Walls should be a part of the city's picture from the very start. Russian word for city - gorod or grad, means 'walled place'. So no walls - no city. That's why I think that walls should from the start and always, in any age, be a part of a city animation, regardless of buildng the 'walls' in game. And with building the actual 'walls' some additional animation could be added.

That first Russian walls could be of horizontally oriented logs with towers like this.
Spoiler :

When you actually construct the building 'walls', that small stockade could be replaced (don't remember, though, if it's possible by the game's mechanics) by a more massive wooden walls like this.

Spoiler :

To add some additional awesomness you can place a small Slavic pagan shrine with idols, like this, in the middle:

Spoiler :

And only when the city grows to 12 it will be historically correct to replace the shrine with a limestone church, to represent the Christianization of major cities Kiev, Novgorod, Polotsk, Pskov, Vladimir etc. The early church desings look like this:

Spoiler :

Medieval

Cities get more 'white', some limestone and white-painted brick buildinds become spread, but many parts are still wooden. I'd replace the limestone little church from previous age with big Cathedral.

Spoiler :

Additionally, I'd add a small wooden and maybe a small red brick church. The point is, there shouldn't be only one, because in medieval city of Moscow alone there were many hunderds (!!!) of churches.

Wooden walls in cites of 12 could be replaced by limestone and rock walls:
Spoiler :

To represent Late-Medieval/Renaissance age, cites over 12 (or a hgher number, don't remember) can get red brick walls.

Spoiler :

Are you claiming i cannot produce historically accurate models? :p

Anyway, i am reworking the set. Some characteristic russian parts have been modelled, and the new overall centerpiece will be this:

Nah :p That was adressed to anyone willing to do the entire set from prehistoric to modern. Well, pre-mediaval at least. That would be really cool.

So far, imo, your best one is this:

It's pretty accurate for early medieval cities if the size 12. Make that church to the left golden-domed, and it's almost perfect. Make one of the towers round, rather than rectangular, and it's super cool. :thumbsup:

And that wooden variant is good for towns less than 12 or big pre-medieval ones.

Whoa, that's an improvement. But, you know, that huge octagonal structure, it's supposed to be a tower, not a separate building, and certainly not that huge. You'd better remove it and enlarge that multi-dome church instead. I'd lighten up the wood texture too. I'd also removed the blue-ish colour from roofs to make it look more dark-grey.

Anyway, you're not a waiter, and I'm not a customer, so do whatever you please, based on all the material I provided. Everything you've designed so far could more or less pass as medieval Russia pretty fine ;)

'cause, you know, like you said, you can't be good for everyone :)

Plan of late 16th century Moscow. Not sure of what use can it be to you, but still.

Mhm!

It's actually really cool. I like the roofs and the wood texture, it's cheerful at last. The limestone church is cool, def'tly keep it. But that octagonal tower... Well, why not? It looks characteristically Russian. Now, imo, you should keep these walls (including the roofs colour). And that would be ultimate stuff.

EDIT: Or instead of that tower, you perhaps may place a couple of limestone and brick buildings to represent nobility's dwellings, like these?

Spoiler :

Overall, best I've seen so far. Good work, man! :beer:

(But frankly I haven't seen much. Civ was abandoned by me many years ago :))

Need some medieval Russian music for entourage?

Link to video.

Top Bottom