1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the Modders

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

- and it's worth saying that nothing posted is meant to denigrate or take attention away from the suffering and loss resulting from the recent hurricane. It's just that humor is in my ditty bag next to the sealed rations and water-proof matches.

2. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

Why was my immediate impulse to compare equipment?

3. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Glad you're okay, WildWeazel. I can't imagine what 45 inches of rain must be like. I've heard the amount of rainfall over eastern Texas is the equivalent of 2 feet of rain spread evenly across the entire state of West Virginia, or 1/10th of all the water in Lake Erie. That's just an incredible amount.

And while 106 is pretty hot, I have experienced weather warmer than that in Kansas. It hit 108 when I was there in July of 2012. Not too many people were out. I only went out in it when going between work, barbecue joints, and my hotel. Thankfully all three had air conditioning. That's what would really make it rough, those temperatures with no air conditioning. I'm glad I didn't experience that a hundred years ago.

It's actually been very nice lately in Ohio, a little cooler than is typical for August - and since August is usually a little too hot for comfort, that's a good thing. Our global-warming-induced changes have largely been in winter lately - last winter it hardly snowed, and the fruit trees blossomed in February, a couple months earlier than usual. It's not that rare to get a couple days in the 60s in January or February, but usually it's only a day or two and then back to cold. We had entire weeks hitting 70 this winter. And even more amazingly, we never got enough of a frost after that to freeze out the fruit trees. One of the largest local farmers said that in February he would have sold his entire crop for $100 because it was so unlikely it wouldn't freeze out, but it wound up being a bumper year.

I remember the Rocket Cat. One of my favorite units and one of the most unique.

4. Blue Monkey

5. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

You've lost me; I don't know what i'm looking at.

6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Since longer time my connection to CFC is slow. I don´t know why one post from me here is posted three times. :confused:

7. Civinator

Tripple post

8. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

Well it seems to be tea (in bricks) - i prefere leaves (FOP and beyond) but to be honest i also didn't get the point of blue monkey's post

9. Civinator

Yes, my post with the link to the picture about the tea now has dissapeared and my post that was trippled, now is only doubled with the original post missing. :confused::confused:

10. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

At first glance it looked like opium or hash from a very proud distributor.

11. Blue Monkey

Didn't think it was quite as obscure as it turned out to be.

It's a picture of tea bricks - traditionally used as both commodity and currency on the Silk Road.* It's compressed enough that there's probably a couple months' worth of a pot a day - or more - in a single section which is roughly the size of a deck of cards. Chipped a bit off the corner of mine when I first got it to check it out - about half the size of my fingernail. Steeped it in a pot for the same length of time as I would loose leaf tea. Result: black tea strong enough to keep Bodhidharma awake. Not high-end gourmet perhaps, but still adds a bit of luxury to the survival kit. It's also very durable - not sure why, but it's mold-resistant. My brother's got the proper wrenches to open most hot water storage tanks. Between that and our life-time of carrying on the family tradition: practical experience with fire-tending and story-telling ...

*Not sure if it should be a luxury resource or a tech, but definitely somewhere in one of the many scenario designs currently collecting dust.

12. Oni Ryuu

Oni Ryuu King

God I miss tea!

Any kind of luxury becomes nearly priceless during just rationing so consider your envious neighbours before advertising your wares. Remember how valuable spices were historically; those people didn’t know the meaning of food fatigue and yet a sack of nutmeg could set you up for life. Tradable goods make sense but safe, stable trade will only be viable after the first or second harvest. I still need to check into UK legislation but I really want giant poppy seeds for the only derivation of true painkillers. Anaesthetics and tasty food can make an empire.:king:

My favourite book this year was The Knowledge by Lewis Dartnell. It covers all of the basics like navigation, problematic childbirth and radiology.

13. Blue Monkey

There's a saying in my family: "Come the zombie invasion ..." :D Ask somebody what will be used as the medium of exchange after the end of the world as we know it. If they say gold coins then bar the garden door. There's probably more to how gunpowder tea got its name than just color and consistency.

On that topic read Honor among Thieves by Jan Rogozinkski. A successful voyage or two could not only let a rogue bribe his way into a governorship but make him as rich as Bill Gates. There may be some debate about the historicity of Libertalia, but they did actually buy a substantial portion of Madagascar.* Spices were more valuable than silk, and clove was introduced to Madagascar as a commercial crop during roughly the same era. Not saying there's a direct connection but ...

*The direct inspiration for the "Air Pirates" faction in The Alexandrian World (Steampunk scenario wip).

14. Blue Monkey

In World of Warcraft - where I do my anthropology fieldwork - every year there is a charity run for breast cancer. It has been going on for several years now. It is player-sponsored but has become a big enough deal that it officially recognized by Blizzard Entertainment (owners of WoW). If you would like to read about the event there is an article online.

I made a character just for this event. I will be one of thousands of gnomes simultaneously running the length of one of the continents in the virtual world of Azeroth. Here's me in my running clothes (pink tabard with a heart is the symbol of the sponsoring player guild):

Just thought you'd like to know about what I'm up to that connects the virtual world with RL (real life).

15. Blue Monkey

PS: Anyone interest in running - the event is today at 7 pm Eastern (USA) time zone. You can make a fee starter account, don't need to buy the game. Then make a gnome on the Scarlet Crusade server.

16. Blue Monkey

As of 4 AM the run had raised over $16,000 in donations.

It was a lot of fun simultaneously playing a game, doing my fieldwork, and helping raise funds for a worthy cause.

Nanuk likes this.
  17. nick0515

nick0515 Fantasy World Builder

Nice one, BM! Makes me want to get back into WoW but sadly I have no time for it.

18. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

Yeah I was starting to get into WoW properly by doing dungeons, professions etc, as before I kept getting bored just doing the quests. But the time involved and urge to work on other things made me stop. Over the years I kept going back to WoW after getting bored, but then same thing happened. I realised I wasnt doing everything the game offered however.

19. Blue Monkey

Unfortunately I'm forced to spend hours a day in Azeroth. It's the site for my current anthropological fieldwork. Which reminds me, time to change my avatar.

20. Nathiri

Nathiri Commander

I dont understand. What anthropological fieldwork is on WoW that makes it sort of a job?