Memorable Moments In Civ III

Not my first game of civ ever, but it certainly was in those early years of my gaming life, one memorable game.

I was 10-11 years old, I didn't even understand English because it wasn't taught to youngster such as me back then. They only started the English lessons for second foreign language at 10-11 years old.

I simply learned the game visually and through experience in game situations. I didn't really understand the civ3 economy very well except to build farms and build mines to mountains. I also knew from my early history lessons at school that roads are important connection for early empires - so I always built many roads. And it was always nice to decorate my palace. AND also view my glorious and PROSPEROUS cities, from the city screen view.

I was playing Japan, and a typical warmonger fashion I was at war with most of the world it seemed. I didn't strictly speaking "win" (unless it was score victory).

BUT Japan stayed free of foreign oppression, all the enemy invaders were pushed to the sea from the glorious Japanese home islands. Japan remained glorious and FREE! Enemy conquest was utterly thwarted. Many Romans and Americans found watery graves in the deep ocean surrounding the beautiful Japanese home islands. Japanese musketmen, pikemen and samurai were too powerful to handle, it seemed :D

At other times, for memorable games... (It's hard to think about games which happened over 12+ years ago...!)

I've had many good games with Ottomans, Rome and Persia, those were always my favorite civs in civ3. Because of their strong unique units of course! For Rushes and Warmongering, either way, success was almost guaranteed! With good early attacks, I was often able to secure a powerful position for late game

Also, most important advice to give for civ3 players, as it was back then, and even now, always go for the Smith's trading company. Always go for Smith's trading company. you can thank me later :king:

Not my first game of civ ever, but it certainly was in those early years of my gaming life, one memorable game.

I was 10-11 years old, I didn't even understand English because it wasn't taught to youngster such as me back then. They only started the English lessons for second foreign language at 10-11 years old.

I simply learned the game visually and through experience in game situations. I didn't really understand the civ3 economy very well except to build farms and build mines to mountains. I also knew from my early history lessons at school that roads are important connection for early empires - so I always built many roads. And it was always nice to decorate my palace. AND also view my glorious and PROSPEROUS cities, from the city screen view.

I was playing Japan, and a typical warmonger fashion I was at war with most of the world it seemed. I didn't strictly speaking "win" (unless it was score victory).

BUT Japan stayed free of foreign oppression, all the enemy invaders were pushed to the sea from the glorious Japanese home islands. Japan remained glorious and FREE! Enemy conquest was utterly thwarted. Many Romans and Americans found watery graves in the deep ocean surrounding the beautiful Japanese home islands. Japanese musketmen, pikemen and samurai were too powerful to handle, it seemed :D

At other times, for memorable games... (It's hard to think about games which happened over 12+ years ago...!)

I've had many good games with Ottomans, Rome and Persia, those were always my favorite civs in civ3. Because of their strong unique units of course! For Rushes and Warmongering, either way, success was almost guaranteed! With good early attacks, I was often able to secure a powerful position for late game

Also, most important advice to give for civ3 players, as it was back then, and even now, always go for the Smith's trading company. Always go for Smith's trading company. you can thank me later :king:
LOL - good memories. Thanks for sharing those.

I lost one or two units, gained a MGL or two, and was able to conquer them without worrying too much about defense.

<smartass-mode>That must have been one MGL, because you can own only one of these guys at a time. So before a second one would be able to appear, the first one would have to be converted into an Army, which is impossible during interturn... ;)</smartass-mode>

Last edited:
I was playing as the Celts, and had planned to populate the entirety of the southern end of my continent. Gandhi comes along and starts putting cities there so I of course attack him. When my armies are at the gates of Delhi, bombarding it constantly, he proposes peace, I agree if he gives me 3 workers in exchange. He agrees, I put the Indians to work and continue the siege of Delhi.

In a more recent game, I was Germany. On my continent there was England to the north and Aztecs to the south, And to the west on two small islands were France and the Inca. One day, during the Middle Ages, right before Knights Templar was founded in Berlin, some Inca galley just sails by to the east coast and captures Nuremberg, which didn't had just one horseman in it,because I assumed it would have been safe from invasion. I sent a couple newly upgraded knights to take it back, and later I invaded the Inca island and destroyed them all

Last edited:
<smartass-mode>That must have been one MGL, because you can only one of these guys at a time. So before a second one would be able to appear, the first one would have to be converted into an Army, which is impossible during interturn... ;)</smartass-mode>
Not necessarily - the first could have been killed off. I lose too many this way.

Top Bottom