Mercenary tech

KlHannibal2

Prince
Free company, foreign legion and mercenary are the units unlocked by completing authority. They are better than the normal infantry of their era.

As I have played many games with authority, I have used free company/landsknechts often, foreign legion less often and mercenaries almost never.

In general, the infantry line becomes weaker than the melee horse/armored line as landships unlock and even more so with tanks. So in the late game I usually get tanks if I need more melee. But I still get foreign legions if I need units quickly on a new front, if movement is less important (water heavy map) or as garrisons.

I would do the same with mercenaries, but being unlocked at the top of the tech tree, I never have the tech for them in a domination game.

I can see that going authority does not always mean domination, but most times it does. So it would be better IMO if the late game authority unit would unlock at the bottom of the tech tree. That's what you usually go for in a domination game.

I think it makes sense to have some units unlock at the top, so civs going for a peaceful victory have some way to defend. But the mercenary is not a good choice to fill this niche.

Maybe machine gun, bazooka and AA gun or fighter units could unlock at the top instead.

Alternatively, the mercenary could become a freedom unit and stay where it is in the tech tree. After all, democratic countries today are much more sensitive about military losses than autocratic ones and use military contractors.

Any thoughts?

I can respect the notion. I mean if your going Authority style play your likely going more south side anyway, and I agree I very very rarely use mercenaries.

I don't think anything needs to be swapped though, at that point in the game if your going north side your skipping military a bit for infrastructure, I think that should remain.

If anything, I would put the Manufactory upgrade at Penicillin.

(And the academy upgrade at Atomic Theory while we're at it).

Top Bottom