Messed up tech tree

MarloMan3826

Chieftain
Ok, here's my problem. I change a few rules with the editor, nothing too major. I don't touch the technology stuff. I load up the scenario and the tech tree is messed up. What's up with that?

In order to edit the default game rules and all the things that fall under that, you need to open a file named "civ3mod.bic" which is in the main Civilization III folder.

Maj.GHOB

I have the same thing happen to me -- I've changed some of the rules around, but none of the technologies, and the tech tree is screwed up. Worst thing is that you can't right or left click on them in the 'big picture' scene, so you're stuck with whatever you picked in the previous screen.

I really have no idea what causes it, but if someone has a solution, I'd like to hear it.

Armor

This has been extensively covered in this forum, but in case you haven't seen it yet, anytime you load your mods as a scenario it will screw up the tech tree. If you replace the mod3civ.bic file (backup first) and then start a new game the tech tree should be fine.

"This has been extensively covered in this forum, but in case you haven't seen it yet, anytime you load your mods as a scenario it will screw up the tech tree. If you replace the mod3civ.bic file (backup first) and then start a new game the tech tree should be fine."

I'm sorry, I don't understand this. Replace the mod3civ.bic file with what? Is there a thread where a dummy like me can get a childproof step-by-step instruction on how to install a modpack without screwing the tech tree?

Thanks a bunch.

In the main Civilization directory, there is a file call civ3mod.bic, which is the standard rules. Make a backup copy of this (I put it in the scenario directory). Whatever scenario rules you want to play, rename to civ3mod.bic, and overwrite the file in the main directory. These then become the standard rules, and avoids the tech tree problem.

Originally posted by MarloMan3826
Ok, here's my problem. I change a few rules with the editor, nothing too major. I don't touch the technology stuff. I load up the scenario and the tech tree is messed up. What's up with that?

:crazyeyes
Did you add or delete anything, when you edited the rules?

Try starting a new game. It the tech. tree revert to normal, it means that the editing you did somehow move the tech. tree info in the mod file, so it is messed up.

I am quite a long way into a game with the messed up tech tree, I know how to fix it from now on but I would kinda like to carry on with this game.

I can live with having to pick a tech from the drop down list rather than from the big picture, Is this the only problem or am I gonna get shafted by some other bug a little bit down the line if I continue the game?

hi, you're going to get shafted if you steal technology later in the game as the tech advisor will ask you to pick a tech from the tree and you cant.

dutcheese

Top Bottom