Messing with unit palettes/civ color

Brilliant! You do it your way. All I said, is that I belive it's easier to do it in an different way than you. I responded to this thread to try to give Solborn an answer. You're the one who hijacked the thread and claimed the ONLY way was through pixel-pushing rather than colormap-manipulation (your post #5). Do whatever you like - I don't really care. Hope Solborn got help despite this fruitless bickering. End of discussion, please.

+1 for patience

I use Gimp. Remember to activate the colormap-dialog in the toolbox. The ntpxx.pcx-images is only one pixel, but it contains a full 256-color colormap. If you have activated the colormap-dialog in the toolbox, you should be able to inspect the colormap and change the colors in the various indexes - in addition to re-arrange the whole colormap (right-click menu). But beware! Gimp will allow you to exceed 256 colors in the colormap - Civ3 can't use pcx-files with too many indexes.

Interesting. So would I just re-arrange some of the indexes until I find which one is for units?

Interesting. So would I just re-arrange some of the indexes until I find which one is for units?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The ntpxx.pcx are for civcolors (not only on units). Check Vuldacon's post #14 in this thread to get a description of the color indexes and how they are arranged. There are threads in here explaining the colormap/palette, but I'm afraid I haven't re-bookmarked them since my old faithful computer died a few years ago.

Regards Sigurd

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The ntpxx.pcx are for civcolors (not only on units). Check Vuldacon's post #14 in this thread to get a description of the color indexes and how they are arranged. There are threads in here explaining the colormap/palette, but I'm afraid I haven't re-bookmarked them since my old faithful computer died a few years ago.

Regards Sigurd

My question was on the possibility of having one color for borders and one color for units without editing unit palettes.

My question was on the possibility of having one color for borders and one color for units without editing unit palettes.
I see. As I answered in an earlier post: Yes. The two colors used in the borders are index nr. 64 and 65 (unless my memory is corrupted). You will have to modify the colormap in the ntpxx.pcx file that corresponds with the color-scheme "your" civ is using.

Hope this is the answer you were looking for.

I see. As I answered in an earlier post: Yes. The two colors used in the borders are index nr. 64 and 65 (unless my memory is corrupted). You will have to modify the colormap in the ntpxx.pcx file that corresponds with the color-scheme "your" civ is using.

Hope this is the answer you were looking for.

Okay, so if I understand correctly. Let's say I want my civilization to use white borders but have green unit color. I'd take ntp(green).pcx and swap indexes 64 and 65 (or whichever two they end up being) with the corresponding ones that are white for ntp(white).pcx?

Edit: I probably made that sound too confusing. But am I correct that you are suggesting taking whatever ntpxx color I want my units to be, and making the two border indexes white for that ntpxx?

Last edited:
:thumbsup:Essentially - yes. I would however recommend that you use two different shades of white/light grey on the two indexes - this will make the borders in the game look a little better. And yes, you can of course use the colors from index 64 & 65 in the ntp00.pcx (barbarian's color).

Thanks for the info and taking the time to explain it out to me.

Top Bottom