• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Micromanagement is alive and well in Civ 4!

malekithe said:
I could also add in some calculation to factor in the extra value of hammers now vs. hammers later. But, I don't know a good depreciation rate. If we were to assume hammers next turn are worth 99% (chosen without much analysis) of hammers this turn

Here's a crude attempt at making a model for this. Let's assume a city that pays 7 or 8 gold per turn for maintenance. It wants a courthouse to cut those in half. This is a pretty common occurence for me, and below this i won't be in any hurry to build a courthouse, and will probably prioritize other buildings instead. Getting it now through the whip costs 120 hammers and then saves 4 gold per turn. It still takes one turn for your hammers to register and for you to get the courthouse.

Getting it the normal way only gives it to you after 10 turns. On average, the hammers where spent after 5.5 turns (some after 10, some after only 1). This is 4.5 turns later than above, where they were all spent after 1 turn. Getting the courthouse after 10 turns costs you 120 hammers like above, but you'll pay 4 gold/turn x 9 turns = 36 more gold on maintenance.

So on average, you spent your hammers 4.5 turns later. It cost you 36 gold total.

120 hammers 4.5 turns earlier saves 36 gold, therefore 1 hammer 4.5 turns earlier saves 3/10 gold, therefore 1 hammer 1 turn earlier saves 3/45, or 1/15 gold. Since we both agree that 1 gold = 0.5 hammer, then 1 hammer 1 turn earlier is essentially worth an extra 1/30 hammer. Therefore i would value every turn you can save to bring the value of your hammer to 31/30 of its value one turn later. Or in other words, one turn later, it will only be worth 30/31 of what it's worth now.

I think that's a pretty fair way of evaluating it, which seems to be based on a rather standard scenario. That is, unless somebody objects to this.

I don't agree with the way you obtain the 25% figure above. The problem is that you're multiplying 2 values that don't have the same importance. If you want to take the average of the two, it should be a weighted average, in which case you'll get 8% again.

I would stick with the 8% figure, but maybe apply a penalty for late hammers and late commerce at the rate given in my previous post, if you agree with that post.

I hope you will add some easy to understand conclusions to your initial post zombie bc my understanding of the math bailed out pages ago :crazyeye:

I already added two paragraphs about an hour ago, as you can see in post #2 of the thread, which i've now decided to make into a change log.

After this discussion is over, i'll probably just add the value at which we consider the gain for whipping versus non-whipping at size 8 with 5 food surplus and lots of hills (which looks like it will probably come at around 15%), and make a note that the value increases for lower city sizes, more food excess and lesser production tiles, and decreases for higher city sizes, less food excess and better production tiles.

That's pretty much all that can be made from all this without producing a huge table that would be hard to consult, and much, much harder to make (imagine doing what we're doing now, but 1,000 times, for 1,000 different entries).

I only have one comment about the 10 turns and whether or not you need a food bonus at the end. I'll use the first few of one of malekithe's tables and give my interpretation.

Code:
Turn	Pop	Basket	Surplus	Comm.	Hammers
1	5	22/30	5	16	96
2	5	27/30	5	16	0
3	6	17/32	5	20	0

Interpretation. You made an optimal 3-pop whip and put 96 hammers into your production bar immediately. Your population dropped from 8 to 5, but the amount of food in your food bar remained the same. You now have 22 food in the food bar and need 30 food to grow to size 6. When you hit "end turn", you will add 5 food to your food bar, 16 to your commerce and no more hammers

The next turn (turn 2), you start with 22+5=27 food, still needing 30 to grow, so you remain at size 5. You don't change any of the tiles your citizens are working. Hit "end turn" again and add another 5 food and 16 commerce to your city

The next turn (turn 3), you start with 27+5=32 food. This is more than the 30 you needed to grow. So you grow to size 6, get 15 food from the granary and still have 32-30=2 food left over from last turn's surplus. You're now size 6 with 17 food in the granary. The pop growth means you can work another tile, so you work a hamlet for 4 more commerce. Hit "end turn" for another 5 food and 20 commerce

etc.

You do not need to end up with a food surplus on turn 10. You need to have the same food you started with on turn 11.

The game has occasional quirks with respect to "number of turns" indications. If a worker will finish something in "1 turn", he will finish it in this turn. Similarly, a "movement number" of 2--when you hold down the right-mouse button and hold it down to see how long it will take for a unit to move somewhere--means it will get there next turn, not in 2 turns.

I checked to make sure that whipping is properly indicated. It is. If you whip, you hit "end turn" 10 times before your whip bar says "+1 unhappiness for 10 turns" again.

So as long as turn 11 looks like turn 1, you've returned to the starting point.

That said, I'm happy with where the analysis has come to this point. I don't see a need to pursue it further. Other than the extra turn and extra food that was run for the last couple posts, I agree with everyone's numbers. I accept the rough valuation (though I prefer giving the numbers and letting readers decide if they accept the tradeoff) of hammers to food and to commerce. I think the point about the increased maintenance cost for the "normal" city's citizens over the "whipped" citizens is a small but nonzero issue and was rightly raised.

I agree and will even emphasize that the case I bring up is pretty limited: how many commerce sites do you have that have even 3 hills that you could mine? And wouldn't you be putting cottages on any grassland hills if you could work them?

I don't think any of this conflicts with any calculations or examples I've posted. I believe my examples are equivalent to malekithe's presentation, if less clear.

I think the summation points I made a few pages back could use some revising, and I may do that if I can think of a way to do it. My new position is probably somewhere in between what I wrote and what Zombie69's responses were to it. I certainly need to add emphasis that my points will be closer to correct if a patch or a mod corrects the whipping pop->hammers calculation bug. (I.e., if a pop point is always worth 30 hammers, it might make more sense to whip as many pop as you can at a time since there's no 48-hammer sweet spot for whipping just one. Zombie69, any gut feeling on that?)

We could take the analysis further and do the 1-pop, 2-pop, 4-pop, etc. cases, but I don't think it's worth it. We've got some rough idea now, and I think it's good enough.

You could also run numbers for cases after biology and railroads when farms and mines aren't quite as poor a choice of improvements as they are in the early game. But unless you start after the ancient period, chances are that by that point the game is over, or at least you're clearly going to win or lose.

Zombie69, I think your estimate about the time-value of hammers is very good. A courthouse is probably in between something like a library which doesn't return any gold and a bank which does. Probably equivalent to a troop who goes out to work for you. 31/30 is an increase of about 3%/turn or roughly 15% over about 5 turns. That sounds reasonable as a rough estimate.

Since this is tied to number of turns, this would also imply that whipping is even more powerful on epic and marathon speeds than normal. Those earlier hammers are worth maybe ~3%*7=~20% more on epic and ~3%*10=~30% more on marathon? (And at 10 turns, a simple interest calculation is probably starting to noticeably fall behind a compound interest calculation.)

Zombie69 said:
[...]

In this case, we can see that we got to size 5 one turn earlier (this will always be the case when waiting after growth to whip, we'll always start one size bigger but without a more-than-full granary). We also happen to get to size 7 one turn earlier (this won't always be the case that another level will come earlier, but in this case it does, given us another another 4 extra commerce).

In this case, whipping after the increase makes us get to level 8 one turn too soon. We'll have to whip again before the 10 turns are over. The 11th turn here would not happen as portrayed above, because i'd actually whip on turn 10, i.e. 9 turns only after the original whip. But just for the sake of argument, let's pretend that i don't have a happiness problem on turn 10, and i'm still at size 7 at 36/34 (i know this isn't possible, but this is to represent cases where we don't get back to the top level too soon). Then i could still make 5 food. I'd end up on turn 11 (i.e. after 10 turns) at 24/36. Compare that to the 22/36 where Malekithe ends up in his example. However, i started one turn after he did, so with 5 more food. He ended up with 5 more food than he started with, while i ended up with 26 - 24 = 2 more food. As i expected initially, waiting after the growth to whip cost me precisely 3 food.

What i gained in exchange for the 3 food are 8 commerce (4 for being at size 5 one turn sooner, and 4 from being at size 7 one turn sooner). Is 8 commerce worth more than 3 food? I'd say it depends. Considering that i also get two more turns of cottage growth (which i personally value at 2 commerce per turns of growth, for a total of 4 commerce), then i'd say that yes, it was worth it. However, this assumes that i didn't run into happiness problems at the end, which i did. In this case, whipping later allowed me to work at size 7 for one more turn, which made all the difference. Not all cases would provide this opportunity.

So you see Compromise what i was talking about when i said that whipping before growth is better food wise, that happiness before the whip was not what made it better or worse, and that the evaluation would be different everytime, and involve knowing how many turns are needed for each pop growth if whipping before growth and if whipping after growth, and the value of the tiles that can be worked?

By whipping before growth, you always save 1 food per pop point whipped. By whipping after growth, you always get at least one more turn of production from one tile, and sometimes more than one turn. Whether or not it's more than one depends on when the pop growths occur in each scenario. How much the extra tiles worked are worth depends on the value of the tiles. you're working before the whip. Do you understand now what i was talking about? And why i said lately that it might be too complicated to give any kind of definitive statement, since it differed too much from case to case, without any noticeable pattern?

Although I haven't actually hand-checked your numbers, I agree with you methodology and your conclusions here.

The reason I keep saying that the happiness-limit affects whether or not you want to be working your food resource can be illustrated by the example you give.

Whip and grow as described above. Whip that 8th citizen on the 9th turn. Now you've got two unhappy people. One for 1 more turn, one for 11 more turns.

Grow again and now, since you're always working the food resource, you can whip again in the 8th turn. (I'm not going through all the numbers, I'm assuming you can get all the food as quickly as you can in the first case.) Now you've got an unhappy who will be unhappy for another 2 turns (he started at 11 turns, not 10, of unhappiness and it's 9 turns after the crack). Whip again. Now you've got 2 unhappy people again: one for 2 turns, another for 12.

In each additional cycle, you have more unhappy-citizen-turns, so your total worked-tile yield goes down. (But really, you're getting so many whipped hammers, maybe you don't care.)

This is actually not that bad at all for the 9-turns to grow case. (I'm glad your post led me to run through the numbers.) Let's say, though, that you have enough food to grow back all your whipped pop in 5 turns.

Whip, get 1 unhappy for 10 turns
Grow 3 pop in 5 turns
Whip, 1 unhappy stays unhappy for 5 more turns, next whipped is unhappy for 15 turns
Grow 3 pop in 5 turns
Whip. First guy is happy again, Second guy has 10 more turns, Third guy is unhappy for 20 turns
Grow 3 pop in 5 turns
Whip. Second guy has 5 more turns. Third guy has 15 more turns. This fourth guy has 25 turns of unhappiness
Grow 3 pop in 5 turns
Whip. Second guy is happy. Third guy has 10 more turns. Fourth guy has 20 more turns. This fifth guy has 30 turns of unhappiness.

etc.

This is the state just 20 turns after we started whipping.

I've had this case happen with an island city that had 3 seafood resources. I misused whipping and was getting next-whip unhappiness above 60 turns.

Note that this is a problem when you can regrow to whippable size quickly. This happens most quickly the fewer citizens you whip.

If your happiness limit isn't increasing as fast as your population can regrow, your city can't work as many tiles as it grows back to size. It looks like regrowing in 8+ turns might be just barely suboptimal because you have a couple unhappy citizens for a while compared to so many early hammers. This helps me...thank you for making me work it out.

But if you have a boatload of extra food, you can get a lot of hammers very quickly, but run into mounting happiness problem. That's why you have to be increasing happiness.

That's been the point of my always insisting on the happiness constraint.

Looking at my own results here, though, I'm given to think my concerns are even more restricted: to cases where you have +9 or +10 extra food from working just a few tiles maybe. Maybe even that is okay, since in a real game, your happiness limit should be increasing as you take over resources or run hereditary rule and keep whipping troops to keep your people happy.

It does seem to indicate a potential for trouble if you are frequently whipping just 1 or two pop and have a couple very good food resources. Pigs and a river wheat. You could regrow in just 2 or 3 turns if you only whipped one citizen at a time to get the 48-hammer return. Say it's every 3 turns:

Code:
       Number of turns this
       unhappy citizen will
       stay mad at you for
             whipping

Turn Mad1 Mad2 Mad3 Mad4 Mad5 Mad6
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----
  1   10
  4    7   17
  7    3   14   24
 10    0   11   21   31
 13    0    8   18   28   38
 16    0    5   15   25   35   45

I do think that I have overestimated the extent of this problem, though. Thanks for taking the time with me, Zombie69.

So if we use the depreciation rate of hammers provided by Zombie and change around the order of the last no-whip case to put the high hammer value turns first, I get a hammer output of 95.5 (down from 109).

According to the previous analysis:
Whip: 96H / 204C
No-Whip: 95.5H / 144C

Converting to all commerce yields 396C vs. 335C.

Total improvement from whipping: 18.2%.

Incidentally, without the whipping bug (which added 6 hammers), whipping would be only 14.6% better.

Compromise said:
I've had this case happen with an island city that had 3 seafood resources. I misused whipping and was getting next-whip unhappiness above 60 turns.

Getting 60 turns of unhappiness isn't all that bad. I've done it in my games and didn't regret it. Besides, for an island city, the tiles (mainly costal and sea) you could be using provide very little except the standard 2 food just to feed the citizens that work them. Therefore being forced into a lower size isn't a big issue.

If you've got so much food, i suggest making settlers and workers from that city while letting unhappiness go back down a little. Just make sure that whatever you do, you always work the high food tiles, and never waste any food.

Compromise said:
It does seem to indicate a potential for trouble if you are frequently whipping just 1 or two pop and have a couple very good food resources. Pigs and a river wheat. You could regrow in just 2 or 3 turns if you only whipped one citizen at a time to get the 48-hammer return.

I've made it abundantly clear in the past that the more food surplus you have, the more pop you should whip at a time. Whipping only one pop with such a food surplus is just plain moronic.

malekithe said:
So if we use the depreciation rate of hammers provided by Zombie and change around the order of the last no-whip case to put the high hammer value turns first, I get a hammer output of 95.5 (down from 109).

I don't think it's fair to put the high hammer tiles first, because then you're putting the high commerce tiles last. My assumption is that commerce should have the same devaluation as production. Getting a tech one turn earlier is very important. I think it would be more fair to spread out use of tiles to make it as constant as possible.

Also, apply devaluation to commerce in both cases. This will hurt the whipping case more, since it works most of its hamlets later.

Zombie69 said:
I don't think it's fair to put the high hammer tiles first, because then you're putting the high commerce tiles last. My assumption is that commerce should have the same devaluation as production. Getting a tech one turn earlier is very important. I think it would be more fair to spread out use of tiles to make it as constant as possible.

Also, apply devaluation to commerce in both cases. This will hurt the whipping case more, since it works most of its hamlets later.

I just re-ran the numbers, this time applying the devaluation to both hammers and commerce. It made a slight difference, lowering the commerce totals in both cases by about 15%. Modifying the order of the turns in the no-whip case made hardly any difference at all. I also applied the same devaluation to the poplation upkeep costs (applied to each turn individually) in the no-whip case.

After everything was said and done, the adjusted outputs of both cases are:
Whip: 96H / 174C
No-Whip: 95.5H / 124C

Converting to commerce, that gives us a whipping efficiency of 116%.

Thanks! I think we can now safely use this number as our conclusion, do you agree?

Caveats :
- size 8 (higher = less efficient whipping)
- excess foor 5 (higher = more efficient whipping)
- very efficient tiles to work (less = more efficient whipping)
- whipping 3 pop (less = more efficient whipping, because of exploit)

Edit: comments moved to post 199 of this thread to maybe save someone reading the thread from the beginning some time.

Hi!

I've been tyring vigourously to improve my game at higher levels and get improved production via slavery instead of letting a city grow and working high-hammer tiles. However it's been a total disaster. Maybe you guys can clarify a few things I've been having a hard time wrapping my head around.

Let's say I have a size 1 city with 2F/1H on the city tile and want to complete a building where I have exactly 60 hammers remaining. The city has a choice to either work a 5 hammer tile or a 5 food tile. If I choose to work the hammer tile city growth is stagnant but I know that the building will be done in 10 turns- a length of time I may or may not find reasonable. To whip the building into completion either requires growth to size 4 or growth to size 2+ and stocking up 30 hammers. I know the latter option will take at least 30 turns- a totally unacceptable choice. How long does it take to get to size 4? If I assume that the 5 food tile is the only place in the radius that has a surplus, then I have only a +3 surplus to get me from size 1 to size 4. I'll be honest and admit I have no idea how long this takes (is there a thread that explains how much food it takes to go from size 'X' to 'X + 1'?) but I'm willing to bet it is more than 10 turns. So in the short term of just wanting this one item finished, the whip looks like a bad plan. I get the idea from reading this article that slavery is a production panacea in every city, but from my experience it only turns out to be worthwhile in places where you have a significant food surplus- like two or more food bonus tiles. Otherwise, as hammer costs go up, the population cannot grow fast enough to make the whip useful, especially in cities with high hammer tiles lying around fallow.

Someone in this thread mentioned the commerce aspect, and this is another area where slavery seems to fall short of its promises for me. In games where I'm merciless with the whip, I fall behind in science much faster than I would otherwise. Why? Because the citizens who are supposed to be working the cottages keep disappearing. I think there is an analysis in here that proves there is only an 8% difference in commerce production between the whip and no-whip cities. However, there is no way that a size 8 city where everybody is working a cottage is not going to significantly outproduce in commerce a city that has to keep growing back up to 8 from whips. Aside from the fact that you are not consistently getting commerce from the tile every turn, you are also losing the worker-turns to get the cottage improved, decreasing your future commerce output. Or, if you have a really high food output city, you should be better off having it consistently support specialists by the same logic.

So what I'm getting at is there must be more to slavery than just the 'always work food, always whip to build' mantra that this thread implies to me. If it was really that simple I would expect to be having an easier time taking advantage of this system than I have been so far.

It looks to me as if there must be some point in which you have to allow your city to grow (and remain grown) in order to get any real use out of it. Slavery seems to be an early-game tool for quick expansion which you then leave on the shelf, except for perhaps later when you want a quick spurt of building in cities with a significant population surplus. What is the early game like for the slavery experts? I've been trying to do the following:

> Start a unit so my city can grow to size 2
> At size 2, switch to worker so I can improve a food-bearing tile. This guy will be whipped out.
> After the worker make a unit or a granary, based on availablility. City grows to size 2.
> When I'm back at size 2 I switch to making a Settler who will be whipped. If the city has multiple food bonus tiles then I might grow to size 4 instead while making units so that I can whip 2 pop instead of one on the Settler.
> Settler founds second city which will start on an Obelisk that gets whipped at size 2. I've been finding it vital to do these since when I found new cities I'm often trying to maximize the resources it will get, as a consequence these resources are all in the outer ring 99% of the time.
> By now Barbarians are here, so I'm off to whipping units. I have to try and mix this in with more Workers and Settlers. By 1 AD I'm lucky to have 4 cities with 2 workers. I might have 2 military units per city. The cities are all size 1-2 from the whipping. My science is now total crap- it's 20+ turns to get anything useful, like Alphabet, CoL, Mathematics, etc. The two Workers are not enough to adequately develop my cities. No Wonders have been built. So basically my game is in the toilet. Now, I might have been able to use some of those troops to capture Workers from the AI, but often the AI is too far away to get a Worker in a timely manner, or I'm too busy with the Barbarians, or 100 other reasons. But that's a topic for a different thread. My main concern is finding out how to really do well using slavery.

I'm having trouble falling asleep tonight so I figured I'd pick your post apart a little... You be the judge of whether it's useful or not... :)

Eqqman said:
I've been tyring vigourously to improve my game at higher levels and get improved production via slavery instead of letting a city grow and working high-hammer tiles. However it's been a total disaster. Maybe you guys can clarify a few things I've been having a hard time wrapping my head around.

First off, you can't grow AND work high hammer tiles. You must choose to do one or the other at any given time. This might be a matter of semantics to many, but it is critical to the understanding of production in the game. The vast majority of the production you acquire is through sacrificing growth. What varies is the amount of growth you sacrifice. In actuality, whipping allows for more growth than not whipping simply because you are allowed to spend more population-turns working food tiles, not hammer tiles.

Let's say I have a size 1 city with 2F/1H on the city tile and want to complete a building where I have exactly 60 hammers remaining. The city has a choice to either work a 5 hammer tile or a 5 food tile. If I choose to work the hammer tile city growth is stagnant but I know that the building will be done in 10 turns- a length of time I may or may not find reasonable. To whip the building into completion either requires growth to size 4 or growth to size 2+ and stocking up 30 hammers. I know the latter option will take at least 30 turns- a totally unacceptable choice. How long does it take to get to size 4? If I assume that the 5 food tile is the only place in the radius that has a surplus, then I have only a +3 surplus to get me from size 1 to size 4. I'll be honest and admit I have no idea how long this takes (is there a thread that explains how much food it takes to go from size 'X' to 'X + 1'?) but I'm willing to bet it is more than 10 turns. So in the short term of just wanting this one item finished, the whip looks like a bad plan. I get the idea from reading this article that slavery is a production panacea in every city, but from my experience it only turns out to be worthwhile in places where you have a significant food surplus- like two or more food bonus tiles. Otherwise, as hammer costs go up, the population cannot grow fast enough to make the whip useful, especially in cities with high hammer tiles lying around fallow.

Honestly, that's a fairly easy situation. Work the 5 food tile (which will produce a 5 food surplus, not 3). From 1 population, it will take you only, at most, 5 turns to grow. Then, if you'd like, you can work the 5 hammer tile to speed development of the 60 hammer building (all the while, getting +3 food). After 5 more turns, you'll have the 30 hammers required to rush the building. This will leave you at 1 population, an extra 4 hammers toward your next project, and 18 food toward growth back to 2 population (1 turn away). Compare to the all-production case where you'd have just barely completed the project and have 0 food toward 2 population after the same number of turns.

This, of course, is the best I can do with the two tiles you've told me are available. If I knew more about your city, I may be able to do even better. For instance, if you had a granary, working the food would be ridiculously powerful, and I might just go up to 4 population and whip from there. I wouldn't even touch the hammer tile. A 5 food tile always provides a significant food surplus, at least for the early game. It is plenty enough to base a whipping strategy on.

By the way, to figure out the number of food required to get to the next population level, use this formula: F = 20+2P. F is the food required. P is the current population level. For instance, it takes 22 food to grow from 1 to 2 and 24 to grow from 2 to 3. On other speeds, these numbers are multiplied by .67, 1.5 or 3. A granary essentially halves the amount of food needed to grow by allowing you to keep half the food you needed for the previous level. Growing from 1 to 4 with a 5 food surplus and no granary would require 72 food = 15 turns. Add a granary and you're looking at only needing 49 total food = 10 turns (that assumes you're starting with 0 food 'in the bank').

Someone in this thread mentioned the commerce aspect, and this is another area where slavery seems to fall short of its promises for me. In games where I'm merciless with the whip, I fall behind in science much faster than I would otherwise. Why? Because the citizens who are supposed to be working the cottages keep disappearing. I think there is an analysis in here that proves there is only an 8% difference in commerce production between the whip and no-whip cities. However, there is no way that a size 8 city where everybody is working a cottage is not going to significantly outproduce in commerce a city that has to keep growing back up to 8 from whips. Aside from the fact that you are not consistently getting commerce from the tile every turn, you are also losing the worker-turns to get the cottage improved, decreasing your future commerce output. Or, if you have a really high food output city, you should be better off having it consistently support specialists by the same logic.

Of course a size 8 city where everyone works cottages will produce more commerce. But, it will produce 0 hammers. If you don't want hammers don't use slavery, pretty simple... If you do want hammers in that cottage city, though, you're going to have to take some citizens off of cottages. Using slavery, your citizens actually spend fewer turns not working cottages than they would if you got your hammers in most any other way. Specialists are one of the most inefficient uses of food available. If you're running specialists for anything other than GP points or *maybe* research points, you could be doing the same thing more efficiently some other way. If you're running specialists in order to get hammers, please start using slavery instead; the difference is nearly incomprehensible.

Incidentally, that analysis you spoke of that showed an 8% differnce in the commerce output of a whipped and no whipped city actually had more commerce output in the whipped city.

So what I'm getting at is there must be more to slavery than just the 'always work food, always whip to build' mantra that this thread implies to me. If it was really that simple I would expect to be having an easier time taking advantage of this system than I have been so far.

It looks to me as if there must be some point in which you have to allow your city to grow (and remain grown) in order to get any real use out of it. Slavery seems to be an early-game tool for quick expansion which you then leave on the shelf, except for perhaps later when you want a quick spurt of building in cities with a significant population surplus.

For the most part, in my games, my priorities really are food > commerce > hammers. I'd only condone working hammer tiles in cities that have little or no surplus food and are surrounded by efficient hammer-producing tiles. If you really prioritize food highly and deprioritize hammer-generating tiles, you'll find that growth, even while whipping every 10 turns, is still possible. You must, of course, settle almost all of your cities in such a way that they have access to an abundant food source (usually a single 4-5 food tile will do, or maybe a couple of 3 food tiles). You'll often grow back to the previous population level quickly after whipping which leaves room to grow to fill your happiness cap (and work more commerce tiles). You must really get it ingrained into your head that your food tiles are the most powerful tiles in your empire.

What is the early game like for the slavery experts? I've been trying to do the following:

> Start a unit so my city can grow to size 2
> At size 2, switch to worker so I can improve a food-bearing tile. This guy will be whipped out.
> After the worker make a unit or a granary, based on availablility. City grows to size 2.
> When I'm back at size 2 I switch to making a Settler who will be whipped. If the city has multiple food bonus tiles then I might grow to size 4 instead while making units so that I can whip 2 pop instead of one on the Settler.
> Settler founds second city which will start on an Obelisk that gets whipped at size 2. I've been finding it vital to do these since when I found new cities I'm often trying to maximize the resources it will get, as a consequence these resources are all in the outer ring 99% of the time.
> By now Barbarians are here, so I'm off to whipping units. I have to try and mix this in with more Workers and Settlers. By 1 AD I'm lucky to have 4 cities with 2 workers. I might have 2 military units per city. The cities are all size 1-2 from the whipping. My science is now total crap- it's 20+ turns to get anything useful, like Alphabet, CoL, Mathematics, etc. The two Workers are not enough to adequately develop my cities. No Wonders have been built. So basically my game is in the toilet. Now, I might have been able to use some of those troops to capture Workers from the AI, but often the AI is too far away to get a Worker in a timely manner, or I'm too busy with the Barbarians, or 100 other reasons. But that's a topic for a different thread. My main concern is finding out how to really do well using slavery.

Firstly, I don't like the early growth to two unless that extra population can work an improved tile. Generally, population should never be working unimproved tiles. They just don't give much benefit. If you could manage a four-food unimproved tile (bonus resource on floodplains, which can only occur on certain maps) I might recomend growing to 2 first, if only to whip quickly.

Second, it sounds like you have some other defficiencies in the game. What level are you playing on? I can't imagine how you could be working high food tiles, only whipping after residual unhappines has worn off, and not growing, especially if you prioritize a granary as you say. A city with a granary and a 5 food tile will only take, at most 3-4 turns to grow back one population. In 10 turns, it can grow back 3 population (starting at 5). There's no way you're whipping more than 3 population. My only conclusion is that you're whipping too frequently or you're not really working the high food tiles all the time.

Third, 20 turns to alphabet is pretty much par-for-the-course. It's an expensive tech for the time.

Fourth, I'd suggest you learn to play without whipping first. I can't fathom how whipping would actually hurt the play of an experienced player. Just avoid slavery for now. Learn how to generate hammers through other means. Then, when you start using slavery again, you can appreciate its increased efficiency.

Fifth, found your second city right next to a food resource and whip a granary first. Then, after 10 turns, maybe whip an obelisk if a religion hasn't spread, or you wouldn't prefer a library. Avoid settling cities where the resource(s) you need to get the city started are outside your initial cultural border. This is where creative civs have an advantage (you could build the stonehenge, but too many people become dependant upon it). Don't build cities that maximize the resources in their borders. Instead, build cities that efficiently make use of the resources available at the right times. If needs be, that may require more cities. For instance, if your capital has two 5+ food resources in its radius, don't be afraid to settle your second city to make use of one of those. Your capital won't really miss it for a long time (By then, you've already won).

Sixth, if you really insist upon whipping settlers and workers in your games now, try whipping other units which are nearly complete and then applying the overflow hammers to a settler or worker. This allows you to achieve a much better food to hammer conversion rate than you would normally get while building a worker or settler. Be careful that the amount of overflow doesn't excede the total cost of what you're rushing, otherwise you don't get all of the overflow. (Rushing a 15 hammer warrior that only requires 2 more hammers, producing 28 overflow, will only leave you with 15 overflow by the beginning of the next turn.)

First off, you can't grow AND work high hammer tiles. You must choose to do one or the other at any given time. This might be a matter of semantics to many...

I understand the idea but yes, I do think you are splitting hairs. If I have a size 2 city with a 5 hammer and 5 food tile available I don't see why I wouldn't work both. If I'm working an item that is more than 30 hammers to finish it must be more advantageous than for example going off the hammers to add +2 food by going on grass. Your response to my 1 pop city example already indicates you agree there are times when you might want to work food + hammers.

For the most part, in my games, my priorities really are food > commerce > hammers.

So you'd never touch a commerce tile until all good food tiles are taken? I don't see how you'd keep up on science with this method. For example, in between my two posts here I fired up a game where I had my bonus food tiles on places that had zero commerce. This left me with 18 turns for Bronze Working. Going off the food to get a single commerce point shortened this time by several turns. Sure, BW is obviously a high priority and maybe anybody would go off the food to get it. But what about after? I still need good commerce to get up to Pottery + Archery + some food improvement tech if I don't have one.

Firstly, I don't like the early growth to two unless that extra population can work an improved tile. Generally, population should never be working unimproved tiles. They just don't give much benefit. If you could manage a four-food unimproved tile (bonus resource on floodplains, which can only occur on certain maps) I might recomend growing to 2 first, if only to whip quickly.

Then you go for the always-Worker-first strat? Depending on the Civ and/or the resources available, this could leave him with nothing to do. Or would you obviously build a Warrior if this was going to be the case?

Second, it sounds like you have some other defficiencies in the game.

No arguments there.

What level are you playing on? I can't imagine how you could be working high food tiles, only whipping after residual unhappines has worn off, and not growing, especially if you prioritize a granary as you say. A city with a granary and a 5 food tile will only take, at most 3-4 turns to grow back one population. In 10 turns, it can grow back 3 population (starting at 5). There's no way you're whipping more than 3 population. My only conclusion is that you're whipping too frequently or you're not really working the high food tiles all the time.

I'm playing Monarch and have yet to even come close to winning a game. I have a lengthy post in the main forum of the difficulties I've had at this level. I've been doing a whip the instant my pop goes to 2. If I waited for 10 turns before finishing a unit/building I'd be getting crushed even worse than I am now. By working hammer tiles it is not hard to get a city that can churn out an Axeman or Archer in 5-6 turns. If I was going no hammers at all and only whipping to get something exactly when the unhappiness wore off, this would be far too slow. However as I mentioned my growth ends up being stunted, I'll have just 3-4 cities all at pop 1 or 2 and not enough Workers to get the road network going so I can share resources and get my troops moved around efficiently. In my in-between posts game I started building Workers and Settlers entriely from overflow which looked like it would have worked out. However I got bogged down in a war trying the 'Steal all your Workers' gimmick which I might have won if I had not gotten attacked by a 2nd guy with Elephants and Catapults. To be honest I just don't see how you can fight off a guy in the BC years unless you start off as Incas. Axemen are just not that great against Archers and unless you literaly start right next to a guy you lose too much simply walking over to the opponent.

You mentioned you were in Seattle, I'm also there and if you play Civ IV multiplayer I wouldn't mind having somebody else to game with. If nothing else you can show me what I'm doing wrong live.

Third, 20 turns to alphabet is pretty much par-for-the-course. It's an expensive tech for the time.

I did say '20+', which I admit was vague. In my last game I ended up with 32 turns to Alphabet after I'd finished Writing + needed food techs + Archery + BW + Pottery.

BTW- is there any easy way to tell when your unhappiness is going to wear off, aside from using a pencil and paper? Once I have more than one city and have whipped more than once in the 10 turn limit it is impossible for me to tell when I can do a 'safe' whip or not without letting the unhappiness totally go away. But according to the guide I need to whip the turn before when they are still unhappy.

Hover over the whip button. It will tell you how many turns of unhappiness you'll get if you whip. If you don't whip, the number of turns left is that number minus 10.

You don't need to whip when there's still unhappiness. But you do need to make sure that there's no turn spent without unhappiness. Letting unhappiness disappear, and on the very turn that it does, whipping again, is perfectly all right. The point is that every turn should be spent bringing down the number of turns of unhappiness by one. Spending one full turn without unhappiness, you're not doing that, and this is a waste of a turn.

I agree with Malekithe, ALWAYS, ALWAYS work the bonus food tile. Going after bronze working? Work the food tile. Going after alphabet? Work the food tile. Going after civil service? Work the food tile. Any other situation you could think of? WORK THE FOOD TILE! One food is worth at least 2 hammers. If you had a tile that provided 10 hammers, would there be times when you wouldn't work it? Then there shouldn't be times when you don't work a 5 food tile either!

As for being low on commerce, i suggest the following :
- Beeline for pottery right after you get bronze working and plant cottages all over the place. In most circumstances, you don't need a single farm anywhere except on bonus food tiles. You want cottages everywhere.
- Use any gold, silver or gem as soon as you can.
- Play a financial civ.
- Go to war, and get lots of money from capturing or razing cities.

Zombie69 said:
I agree with Malekithe, ALWAYS, ALWAYS work the bonus food tile. Going after bronze working? Work the food tile. Going after alphabet? Work the food tile. Going after civil service? Work the food tile. Any other situation you could think of? WORK THE FOOD TILE! One food is worth at least 2 hammers. If you had a tile that provided 10 hammers, would there be times when you wouldn't work it? Then there shouldn't be times when you don't work a 5 food tile either!

As a repentent former Zombie-challenger, I just want to weigh in in support of this advice!

Zombie69 said:
[...]In most circumstances, you don't need a single farm anywhere except on bonus food tiles. [...]

Zombie69, do you ever chain farms to give a food bonus an extra food (two extra after Biology)? The most favorable situations would seem to be: when none of the farms are in any city's fat circle (this seems like a no-brainer) and when the farms run through a couple plains tiles that you don't have enough food to put cottages on anyway. But what about if you would have to farm through two or three grasslands that you might put cottages on?

Top Bottom