Middle Age Tech Race

Balastulin

Lord of the Sea
I'm having real problems with the tech race on Monarch+ levels when I enter the Middle Ages. Up until then, I'm at least on a par with the other Civs but then I just lose it. Anybody got any tips?

They just seem to run away with the techs every time. What am I doing wrong!

Well I kinda do that. Is there some kind of special strategy to take when researching? How about 50-turning it and buying techs?

Originally posted by Balastulin
Well I kinda do that. Is there some kind of special strategy to take when researching? How about 50-turning it and buying techs?

I find T_Hawk's reports worth reading :)

http://www.dos486.com/civ3/index/

Originally posted by Balastulin
I'm having real problems with the tech race on Monarch+ levels when I enter the Middle Ages. Up until then, I'm at least on a par with the other Civs but then I just lose it. Anybody got any tips?

They just seem to run away with the techs every time. What am I doing wrong!

Maybe your are just going for any tech?

I for my side have found it useful to decide, which way I want to go.
That means, I read the map, analyze my situation - in regards to my location, my neighbours, potential of further expansion and so on - and then I decide, whether I will have to prepare for aggressive wars, or if I go for the cultural path or whatever.
Based on that, I decide which techs will be the most helpful for me.
Needless to mention, that libraries are almost a MUST in any city, for instance.
If I go for the wonder race, I don't forget about building "happiness buildings", either. Nothing can be more devastating than having a city size 12, which has Knights Templar, started on Sun Tzu and is getting outraced, since 5 of it 12 inhabitants now are just entertainers.

I've been targetting techs like Printing Press and Navigation which also allow trading of maps/contacts. If you get either of those first you will have a trade advantage.

The explosion in AI research in the middle ages is due to Printing Press, which leads to contact trading and then to a massive period of tech trading between each AI civ. You can prevent this or at least get in on the action by getting all the contacts first through exploration or your own trading, and then trading all the contacts you have to everyone for whatever you can get in return - even when it's nothing. This removes the barganing position that the AI's have with each other, and lessens the boost to overall AI research. You still need to be active in tech trading yourself. Try researching entirely down one path and trading for the other. And try not to trade exclusively with one civ or they will become too powerful.

Getting contacts early by making rops can allow you to tech much faster than everyone else.

Trading is the key. Either go one path and trade for the others (remember to offer your tech to any AI in the same turn, because if you sell to one then he will do trading for you which you surely don't want) or don't research at all and pay a lot of money for each tech (but then you won't get any SGL).
And theres a third way. Go to war with an AI that has more techs than you take a few cities and then make peace for some techs. But be careful that the others don't ally against you.

Remember, on Emperor difficulty levels and higher, the AI trades with each other very "cheaply" and with you for rip-off prices. For example, The AI might trade away a new tech for 500 gold to another AI civ, but will charge you 1000 to 1500 gold for the same thing!

Top Bottom