1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (Private Beta I)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by PCHighway, Feb 18, 2005.

1. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

rar files are fine by me.

Having access to a private forum makes me feel so special. :smug:

;)

2. RRnut

RRnut Civanator

Well at least with axes without 5 foot long handles. I'm not an expert on ancient axes, but it seems as if axes almost as tall as the person don't quite seem right... wimpy little axes would seem to be a lot more efficcient in warfare... a lot quicker

3. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

Rar files work for me.

Axes: as far as chopping down trees goes, you don't want a SUPER long axe handle. And I think the bit would be different too. But, poleaxeing must have been effective enough in warfare for it to be quite popular for a time.

4. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

We need to dl over 100mb every time? Why not just dl the new biq and whatever new graphics we need after the first time? It won't change very much will it (compared to the 100mb, anyway)? Even if we have to C&P several folders and files into the scenario folder, it would be more efficient than re-downloading the whole thing and over-writing the entire mod.

5. Mithadan

Jeez cheez, if I'm s'posed to dowload that every time, I guess I'll be missing out on certain stages of the beta. I will be in serious transit during the end of May & beginning of June, my computer being in a container ship on the Atlantic... I'll beta as much as I can, then, but when I drop off the radar half-way through ony to resurface at what might be the end, be not suprised therefore. ;)

With all affection,

Misty Dan with a lisp

6. WildWeazel

BTW, how long is the private beta phase going to last? I'm heading out to the Air Force Academy on July 1, and most likely won't be seen around here until September at least. If we aren't done testing by then, there's not much I'll be able to do. And even after that, I highly doubt I will have any time to play Civ during my freshman year. :cry:

7. AlcTrv

AlcTrv Only goes to one thread.

Oh, damn, congrats Weasel!

8. Mithadan

My only guess would be "as long as it takes" or some such elliptical statement. That's how questions like "when will this mod be released" have been answered, after all. 'Course I'm not the one to do answering like this anyhow, so don't worry 'bout what I say! ;)

9. PCHighway

PCHighway Pacific Coast Highway

The Private Beta will only be a month or so.

10. Mithadan

Sounds about right for me, phew! :)

11. WildWeazel

Then it shouldn't be a problem, assuming we start sometime in the next 6 weeks... :p

edit: thanks AlcTrv, but I would take beta-tesing over Basic Cadet Training any day ;)

12. Cyber Dreyk

Cyber Dreyk Master of illusions

I just suggest using static LH for beta because it will save a lot of space.
    Of course, it's not acceptable for release of the Mod.
    Also I want to suggest a separate RAR file for LHs, i.e. one file for all Mode and a separate one for LHs only.

13. WildWeazel

I second that, but I would take it further and make one dl for LHs and all unit gfx that will be in the first download. Then instead of dl-ing the same units over and over, we only have to get any new ones that are added. I mentioned something like that before, but didn't really explain what I meant.

14. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Personally, I don't care if I end up DL a few hundred meg more or less, but for those with slower connections, a multiple piece DL would be great.

15. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

While multiple downloads are great on the receiving end it's not so great in the packaging end. If PCH saves some hours of work by only raring the mod, instead of keeping tabs on every single file that's been changed, I'm all for it.
    I'm sure we'll reach a somewhat balanced compromise somewhere in the middle. :)

16. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

My 2 cents:

I think that since the LH's are pretty well established, we could have them as a separate download. I agree with mrtn that it would be a lot easier on PCH if we didn't separate the rest of the files much, unless we wanted to make the unit flc's and pcx's into a separate dl as well.

17. AlcTrv

AlcTrv Only goes to one thread.

At this point, we're past the stage where I'm of any use, now I'm just the little kid in the back

"are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? are we *thread slams on breaks, sending alec through windshield*"

18. Mark Young

Mark Young Formerly Sir Eric

Will there be any music from the LOTR movies included?

19. WildWeazel

I doubt it, since the music is copyrighted, but you can always add it in yourself. :)

20. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

To me the game music is of very low priority, I've used winamp in the background since my second vanilla game, 4 years ago. :)