1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Middle-Earth: Lord of the Mods (Private Beta I)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by PCHighway, Feb 18, 2005.

1. PCHighway

PCHighway Pacific Coast Highway

It's a secret forum, therefore it's in a secret place ;). I'll send you all PMs when I get it. Question, does anyone have a suggestion for the Rhovanion Woodsman graphics? It needs to be an axeman, and it is the UU of the northmen. We are already using the AoK Axeman. This unit shouldn't throw an axe, either. I'm currently using a javelin thrower, which really doesn't fit very well.

2. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

I've already suggested the Berserker, my preciousss...

3. Cyber Dreyk

Cyber Dreyk Master of illusions

It would be very nicely if you can add my nick in bottom of the list. :)

4. Cyber Dreyk

About Rhovanion Woodsman. In case 1 frmame's default animation is OK, then you can use Aok Berserk (red hair, round shield and hand axe) or Aok Woad Rider (more primitive).

5. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

The PTW Berserker is as probably as good as any, unless we're using it for something else (is it too Dwarvish?).

I s'pose utah's Huskarl is a little too over the top in this role?

6. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Hereby confirming my interest in being on the beta list.

Not that I know if it matters, but I'll point out that the spaces in my username are lacking in PCH's list.

7. [Ant]Wimp

[Ant]Wimp Warlord

*gasp* The spaces are missing! Call a newspaper! :p

I like the beserker for the Rhovanions, assuming that the Utahjazz's Huscarl is allready taken. If not, I'd put him in somewhere, cuz its a very good unit imo :)

8. WildWeazel

WildWeazel Yeah, well... Supporter

I don't know what the woodsman should look like, but the woad raider would be interesting. This may be a unit we want to request. It's generic enough that other mods would be able to use it. I can't find any axe units other than the AoK conversions.

9. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

I also couldn't find any non-throwing, non-dwarf axemen that have been made, except this one by Utah:

Hessish Knight

It's probably too armored for what we are looking for, though. probably the best bet would be either the Woad Raider or the Berserker (C3C or AoK).

10. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

The Hessish Knight (why not "Hessian"?) looks way too high medieval for LotM, if you ask me.

11. PCHighway

Sorry guys, ok one final question. Does everyone on that list have at least a trial version of WinRaR, or the ability to open .rars? If not, I need to use a Self Extracting Archive, which allows you to type in your Civ3/c3c/scenario path, to install the MOD. This can be difficult however. Some people have an Infogrames Interactive folder, some have an Atari folder (Mrtn informed me). And some have a different language. You will need to be able to select the path to your Civ3/c3c/scenario folder. Can you guys do that, or would you rather download a .rar?

TLC, thanks that is actually helpful. The spaces are important, that way TF can just copy and paste the names in, rather than having to look them up.
    Whoops! Sorry Mrtn, I like the c3c berserker as well, I temporarily forgot about your suggestion.
    Let’s go with the c3c one, fits in the game easier.
    The Woodsman of Rhovanion were famous for… well, cutting down trees. They supposedly created the East Bight?

12. RRnut

RRnut Civanator

rars are fine. The woodsmen should (imho) something rather rustic with axes. I'm not sure I like the PTW berserker, as I think that ax is just way to big... the whole unit seems to be out of civ size a bit. but if that's what we have, then use it.

13. WildWeazel

RAR is fine with me, I just need to re-install my trial version :)
    If berserker fits the role, go with it. No need to include any more units in the dl than we have to ;)

edit: here is the rar download page: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm The downloads are less than 1MB, so no dial-up excuses :p

14. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

I think I can do .rars. Why is that so much better than .zips, which I think everybody can do? If I can't do .rar now, I will be able to on demand, I'm sure, especially with a link.

Arathorn

15. Olorin0222

Olorin0222 Maia

.rar works for me as well. Too many things all ready use it around here for me not to have it....

16. mrtn

mrtn Shaven not stirred

Eh, I don't think anyone on dial up should join the beta, actually... :( Downloading more than 100 MB per week would be a nuisance, to say the least... The latest version is 115 MB, and it won't shrink...

@PCH; BTW, I think that you should have the LHs in a different d\l for the beta, thus people only have to get them once...

@Arathorn: rar's are usually more compressed than zip's.

17. WildWeazel

Actually I wasn't even thinking about the size of the beta itself when I said that. Good point tho- time to put the old jump drive to use at the library :D

18. Cyber Dreyk

19. Maplehurst

Maplehurst Northern Hermit

1. RAR files are fine PCH.
    2. I would also like to see a different unit than the c3c berserker, but.....

20. PCHighway

You can save 15MB with a .rar, which is important. Ok, I've got the forum and the ability to upload. We can't exceed 160 MB, but that's ok as we are currently only using 113MB rared. The MOD is roughly 190 MB if you count Leaderheads, zipped it is 125MB. If we add a hell of a lot of units (which I plan too, flavor graphics) and we have to go over the 160MB limit, we will discontinue the LH graphic download. We'll just have to make sure everyone downloads them first, and then not update them.

CyberDreyk, I'm using a static picture of Tolkien as a placeholder LH (only one civ uses, hopfully when I upload the MOD to download it no civs will use it). I don't think we should go with static images as a rule however, they can get fairly boring. Perhaps during the public beta we can get use some of the LotR flags, and have a different one each era. That might be interesting. Until we can offer some extras in the public beta, let's use the animated ones.

Zxe (and just about everyone else),
    I'm not terribly happy with the PTW Berserker myself, however I think it is better than the alternatives. The AoK Berserker, while and interesting idea, is a little too Viking, it even has fake horns ;).

As far as the big axe goes, RRnut, how do you think they created the East Bight? With little wimpy Axes? uh-uh! :) j/k