Militaristic CS raids

Mustakrakish

In 'Node' We Trust
What I really would like for them is to be aggressive, periodically launching raids (not conquest!) on neighboring city-states, as well as being "for sale" to attack a major civ, without being your ally, for a price of gold that would depend on target civ might. They should also be incredibly tough with some very good promotions for their units, higher production rate for units, as well as higher base strength for the city, so you couldn't just take them out nearly as easily as any other city-state.

Obviously you shouldn't be able to buy an attack on their Suzerain, but also they'd follow special rules and not be automatically at war with Suzerain's enemies. Basically, muscle for hire to the highest bidder. When attack on you is bought, they would launch one raid party on you (5-6 units), when that raid party is countered (destroyed) or certain amount of turns pass (say 15), they automatically "sign peace" and leave your lands. You could also "counter" them by giving "tribute", a higher amount of gold that they got for attacking you.

You can find out whom sent them against you and get "casus belli" against that civ with high enough espionage rate / access level or whatever it was called.

Basically an angry formidable manageable entity on the map. You can manage it by:
1. Investing in it (Suzerain)
2. Hiring them. They can only launch one raid at a time, so if a raid is in place on another (that certain amount of turns), they won't be hire-able for another.
3. Paying tribute.
4. Destroying them. Best time for this would be when they are on a raid. They rebuild units fast, but they can only keep a certain amount of them at a time.

Cool, but there is a section on the board called "Ideas and suggestions" for a reason ;-)

It would be also interest to have some simple diplomacy with barbarians, like:
> bribe to not attack you
> bribe to attack someone else (costs more)
> bribe to tell who bribed them to attack you

Bet with a chance that they screw you

A trustworthy lot they are :D

Cool, but there is a section on the board called "Ideas and suggestions" for a reason ;-)

Oh, you mean the one that no one's reading?

Yeah, a thread of mine was moved to the graveyard forum (sorry, l mean suggestions forum) the other day and the interest dried up at once. Seems like an artificial distinction to me - most of the threads in the main forum are about suggestions one way or another.

Probably there's a reason no one's reading it.

You can trick them into reading your fantasies here of course, since some may think it's a real feature being discussed. But I do not like being tricked.

Please move this thread where it belongs.

Probably there's a reason no one's reading it.

You can trick them into reading your fantasies here of course, since some may think it's a real feature being discussed. But I do not like being tricked.

Please move this thread where it belongs.

In every single thread someone or everyone suggests how something should be done in one way or another. I and my suggestion is no different, Mr. smartypants. I happen to be "discussing", "generally" how militaristic city-states should be handled. The line drawn between what belongs in general discussions and suggestions is arbitrary to the point of nonsense. Basically instead of making a thread I should've just made a comment in any other CS related thread and it would be fine. :crazyeye:

So let's just close this thread. I will not make a mistake of creating one again.

Moderator Action: There's no need to close the thread. This is a classic Ideas & Suggestions thread, which is where it has been moved. We know that Firaxians regularly scan the I&S threads (no comment as to whether they will like or embrace any of the ideas or suggestions, of course), which allows General Discussions threads to focus on the game that is, rather than alternate versions of the game that some might desire.

I don't think militaristic CS should be for hire. You 'buy' there assistance via envoys, that's seem good to me. If you could buy them with money, that would reduce the use of envoys.
I'm also not sure about raids. I envision militaristic CS more as turtle cities: lots of units, defense buildings, forts - very hard to conquer, helpful if you are their suzerain. And if you are not, you better try to become their suzerain.

Top Bottom