Mines suck, need more tech yeild increases

Magma_Dragoon

Reploid
They're just terrible. The only boost they get is a third ring leaf tech that adds a measly 1 energy. This is in stark contrast to the numerous yield boosts farms and generators get. The only exception is desert hill, which get an appreciable 1/3/2 with an upgraded mine. I terrascape hills, or ignore them until orbital fabricators can spawn titanium.

Probably because they're competing with manufactories; if mines were much better there'd be less reason to build manufactories.

Why isn't the same true of farms then? Biowell has lower yield but provides a health, choice.

I guess the real issue is that hills suck. Other tile have a total base yield of 2. Tundra is 1f1e, desert is 1f1e, plains 1f1p, grass 2f. Hills should be 2p and mines +1, with a tech that boosts production, in addition to biometallurgy boosting energy.

The only purpose i see to them is to make them early just to up production and get a city off the ground. I agree that it seems like late game you might as well just drop something better on them.

Part of the issue is that you just don't care about production anymore with the trade route spam. I've been toying with "no trading" runs and found that they may matter more there(since you can't just instantly give a new city insane production).

The only purpose i see to them is to make them early just to up production and get a city off the ground. I agree that it seems like late game you might as well just drop something better on them.

Part of the issue is that you just don't care about production anymore with the trade route spam. I've been toying with "no trading" runs and found that they may matter more there(since you can't just instantly give a new city insane production).

That is the problem with trade routes, they negate the importance of other things.

If yield was more directly based on city output:

ie Internal
Receiving City: 20% sender base - 10% receiver base
Sending city: smaller of 20% sender or 10% receiver

Then mines (+hills) would be more important and manufacturies more worthwhile

Mines are not supposed to compete with manufactories. They don't have any upkeep for a start, and manufactories are best built on flatland so you can still have free mines on hills.

I agree there should be further techs to boost mines, an additional +1 production and +1 science to them from later techs would be good.

Top Bottom