Miscellaneous 'Broken Things' Thread

Is there a reason that giving an embassy to another civ is what makes them like you slightly more, instead of getting an embassy from another civ?

Usually when you give an embassy, you can get 1 gpt or more for basically nothing, making it a pretty easy call unless you want to keep your capital secret, and also doesn't really help the AI at all. Conversely, there is little reason to get an embassy until right before you need to use its functions, since I don't think it gives a diplo bonus and it costs money.

It strikes me that if you reversed it and made it so that buying an embassy gave the +modifier, then you would have a reason to get it with the other civ, and the other civ would have reason to like you a bit more because you gave them a bit of money. Similarly, AIs buying embassies with you are basically making you like them a little bit more by giving you a bit of money. In cases where embassies are exchanged symmetrically, it wouldn't change anything.

Is there a reason that giving an embassy to another civ is what makes them like you slightly more, instead of getting an embassy from another civ?

Usually when you give an embassy, you can get 1 gpt or more for basically nothing, making it a pretty easy call unless you want to keep your capital secret, and also doesn't really help the AI at all. Conversely, there is little reason to get an embassy until right before you need to use its functions, since I don't think it gives a diplo bonus and it costs money.

It strikes me that if you reversed it and made it so that buying an embassy gave the +modifier, then you would have a reason to get it with the other civ, and the other civ would have reason to like you a bit more because you gave them a bit of money. Similarly, AIs buying embassies with you are basically making you like them a little bit more by giving you a bit of money. In cases where embassies are exchanged symmetrically, it wouldn't change anything.

Spying is what comes to mind.

When you give an embassy, you are revealing your capital location, making it easier for the other civ to reveal the map or to use this info for a better planned invasion, or to send trade routes to your capital. I'm not sure if it allows the other players to see what you're building there, including wonders they may want to build.

Offering an embassy in your capital is like saying the other player, come to visit me, I've got nothing to hide.

When you give an embassy, you are revealing your capital location, making it easier for the other civ to reveal the map or to use this info for a better planned invasion, or to send trade routes to your capital. I'm not sure if it allows the other players to see what you're building there, including wonders they may want to build.

Most of the time I've scouted the AI to the point that I can see their capitals before writing comes up, at least any AIs that are close enough to be dreaming of an invasion or sending a trade route. The AI that starts with 4 times as many units as I do to scout with probably has the same vision most of the time, and anecdotally I often see many AIs run past my capital in the first few turns. The vision effect on capitals is mainly useful for me to get the City State quest for free science, with civs that are quite far away and I have no border vision on, and I'm not sure if the AI even knows to do that in that situation. And the AI clearly pays for the embassy even if it has already seen your capital, in which case I'm not sure what it gets aside from being able to bribe you into war (and from what I see, the AI prefers to friend you and then beg for war help instead anyways.)

I'm not sure about the being able to see wonders building thing, if that's true in this version it's a real advantage I suppose. Maybe next time I get a new embassy I'll check if I see new wonder graphics under construction in the AI Capital. My tendency is to sell the AI embassies whenever it asks and not bother getting my own until I either need it for some reason or am filthy rich.

You see any wonders being built at the exact time the embassy was shared. If you share an embassy, then start building a wonder, nothing will be shown.

The AI can't use that info anyway.

Honestly I think certain modern Units, Like the special forces, shouldn't go obsolete.
Main reason is the difference in cost of Xcom troopers and the fact that Xcom spam is rather annoying.
Namely why I'd suggest making the Xcom trooper stronger but require some resource to be built and make it not replace the Special Forces.

But this is mostly personal preference based on the sheer amount of Xcom units I can spam late game.

To me the Xcom serves as the last ditch military effort to thwart another victory type. Realistically other units at that point in the game don't have the mobility needed to do any real damage in those critical last handful of turns. Your strategic resource option for that are nukes. GDRs are fun to play with, but even with their mobility bump, just aren't really a useful tool of war at that point, just a fun thing to enjoy a won game at that point, or if you have turned off a number of victory conditions.

So in summary, if the game is still going at that point, Xcoms are the last hail mary. And I think its a viable niche for them.

Top Bottom