Missing Civilizations

varwnos said:
Why Hamsun as scientist? he was an author :)
:blush: True. Nobelprize in literature... you don't get more author than that.

edit: I did think "Nobelprice" looked strange....:crazyeye:

varwnos said:
I have some of his books ;) "Hunger" is the one i like the most.
I really should've read more of these authors' books :( , the only scandinavian, non-swedish, author's books I know and have read is Kierkegaard's, whom I really like btw.
I have to remember "Hunger" by Knut Hamsun anyway, maybe there's time to read it sometime....

This should probably go On Topic again....

@varwnos: Thanks for the tips, I've added them on the list.
@Loppan Torkel: thanks again, i've updated the list on great people and cities, but i'm not an expert on old viking names (Although i have one viking :viking:roommate that i'm afraid might one day use my skull for drinking the smirnoff-ice he plunders from my fridge), so i'll just use your word for it. Do they look more consistent now, or did I srew it up?

EDIT: I found another list that according to its author Isak is more historicly accurate and also includes your suggestions. So tell me which one should we keep; or should we make a hybrid? What about Vikings capital? I didn't see Trondheim in the second list.

You're welcome :)
The second list seems more accurate for a pure Viking civ, Nidaros = Trondheim.

Plus two additions:
Prophet: Raoul Wallenberg
Merchant: Ivar Kreuger

Edit: There are many cities I don't recognise also, being cities from all of scandinavia, some nowadays very small and some with their old names.

HourlyDaily said:
On the Celts; I admit my laziness at looking up great people - but we don't not have to put up with the Romanised versions of city names. Yes Persians can argue that about the Greeks naming their cities for posterity etc. Pinyin translations into English etc.
Also for the Irish Celts - can I put forward Brian Boruma as a leader? Someone else suggested it in another thread.
Iberian, Welsh and Breton Celts may also suggest leaders, cities and great people if they'd like.
Thank you very much for the links, they are most certainly very useful. However I couldn't find a "Celt" city names list. There was Welsh and Gaulish city names which we can incorporate or use either one of them, (I'd go for the Gaulish ones). With Celts the difficulty is that they have scattered around Europe settling from Turkey to Ireland but leaving behind very few written evidence, thus it's nearly impossible to craft one unique civilization out of these various Celtic tribes. It is also very hard to determine city names in their original language. So i'm placing alternate Gaulish and Welsh city names to the list and let me know which ones are more suitable. I'd also like to keep some of the city names from the original list such as Galatia, as it reflects the Celts diversity and reminds us of how far they have travelled and settled. One last question would be the capital of Celts, as they had no single empire but rather seperate tribes, which city could best represent the Celtic seat of power?

Loppan Torkel said:
You're welcome :)
The second list seems more accurate for a pure Viking civ, Nidaros = Trondheim.

Plus two additions:
Prophet: Raoul Wallenberg
Merchant: Ivar Kreuger

Edit: There are many cities I don't recognise also, being cities from all of scandinavia, some nowadays very small and some with their old names.
Thanks, I've added the people. About the capital, it's Birka then?
EDIT: I've also added Staraya Ladoga with it's proper Viking name to the list; Aldeigjuborg. It seems to have been founded by Vikings on their way south.

Tunch Khan said:
Thanks, I've added the people. About the capital, it's Birka then?
I'm not sure which city should be the capital... The Danes, Norwegians and Swedes often fought amongst eachother, there aren't that many sources on the matter of capitals in these "loose" kingdoms. The Swedes were then up until recently divided in Svear and Götar... But I'd guess Trondheim or Copenhagen or their oldname counterparts would be good enough, but then again I've been raised with civ :) . Uppsala was probably an old Swedish site of power if I'm not mistaken. I think Birka was an old merchantplace.

Sigtuna is mentioned twice on the list and Nidaros and Kaupang seem to be the same city - Trondheim. And is Vinland really a city? :confused: that's what America was called...

The easy solution would be to make it Scandinavia and include all history up until now. Then you wouldn't have to worry about citynames or inconsistancy of persons included.

Is there a special category for philosophers in civ4? Kierkegaard is anyway the most known scandinavian philosopher. Did you know that he was part of a society called "the Symparanekromenoi"? :lol: Symparanekromenoi is greek for "fellow dead" :lol:
Also you should include Tycho Brakhe as a scientific leader (Denmark)

varwnos said:
Is there a special category for philosophers in civ4? Kierkegaard is anyway the most known scandinavian philosopher. Did you know that he was part of a society called "the Symparanekromenoi"? :lol: Symparanekromenoi is greek for "fellow dead" :lol:
Also you should include Tycho Brakhe as a scientific leader (Denmark)
Added Soren Kierkegaard as great prophet. Tycho was already suggested by Loppan Torkel and is in the list.;)

I would like to see the Yugoslavians. If not them as a whole civ then maybe Serbia. Also Poland, Ethiopia and Israel. I don't have names for anything but this civs are very important. These must be modded in!

Tunch Khan said:
Added Soren Kierkegaard as great prophet. Tycho was already suggested by Loppan Torkel and is in the list.;)
Well, now Kierkegaard is both a great prophet and an artist....;)

Loppan Torkel said:
Sigtuna is mentioned twice on the list and Nidaros and Kaupang seem to be the same city - Trondheim. And is Vinland really a city? :confused: that's what America was called...
Fixed Sigtuna and removed Nidaros and Kaupang, adding Trondheim as the capital. Reading some Wikipedia on Trondheim makes me choose it as the capital city. And it's inhabitants even revolted for a name change. :viking:
Loppan Torkel said:
The easy solution would be to make it Scandinavia and include all history up until now. Then you wouldn't have to worry about citynames or inconsistancy of persons included.
I was trying to stick to Vikings instead of Scandinavians as it was the name on the poll. Scandinavians are probably a more reasonable choice, but then again, people have romantic sentiments for Vikings, PTW had Vikings and they are more fun, more agressive, more adventurous. It's the same reason I like Vinland name, as it doesn't have to be %100 accurate, it's just a colony name and can be founded in Civ IV next to Baghdad or Beijing. :) I've also added two more settlement names, based on Viking sagas, it's just better than having Trondheim2 if the player wants more cities. I can take them off if it's too annoying, or can replace with better suggestions.

Beowulf could be a prophet too since you're focusing on the Viking era. Another link.

I've to ask also if you've done any freaky stuff with your avatar, having it making sounds when you move over it with the mouse-pointer? Or do I have some virus perhaps??:confused:

Loppan Torkel said:
Well, now Kierkegaard is both a great prophet and an artist...
fixed that too. I wish I had as much help with other civilizations too :)

Loppan Torkel said:
Beowulf could be a prophet too since you're focusing on the Viking era. Another link. I've to ask also if you've done any freaky stuff with your avatar, having it making sounds when you move over it with the mouse-pointer? Or do I have some virus perhaps??:confused:
Very interesting topic, but it seems as Beowulf is the name of a fictional carachter. I don't know how many great people are actually needed in Civ IV, but this one looks like a fun addition. It would have been great if we knew the author, which we could name under great artists also. But why do you think he needs to be among great prophets?
About your other questions, it might be too much pills consumed, :crazyeye: or you do actually have a virus. :lol:

CrazyMrLeo said:
I have some flag suggestions. For Babylon, a golden lion on dark blue. For Carthage, a white horse's head or possibly a palm tree on burgundy (both were common images on Carthaginian coins). And for the Vikings, a black raven on white (as illustrated here: http://atlasgeo.span.ch/fotw/flags/xn_raven.html )
Thanks for the suggestions. Do you have any info on the Babylonian flag you are describing? It's known that they didn't have flags back then, but perhaps some royal symbols inscripted somewhere?

Are you guys (and girls) sure that Great People are linked to its civilization? it could as well be that they are linked to technology, meaning there is one pool of names for everyone and depending on tech level, they get spawned. That's at least what I was thinking, when I saw some screenshots, especially turn logs from games, there was in one particular game, practically only western names, but at lest half of the civs in that game were not European...
But of course, that could also have been only an old built... :)

m

mitsho said:
Are you guys (and girls) sure that Great People are linked to its civilization? it could as well be that they are linked to technology, meaning there is one pool of names for everyone and depending on tech level, they get spawned. That's at least what I was thinking, when I saw some screenshots, especially turn logs from games, there was in one particular game, practically only western names, but at lest half of the civs in that game were not European...
But of course, that could also have been only an old built... :)
m
To be honest I'm not sure either, but I'd be dissapointed if it were like you are saying. Having Einstein born as a Turkish scientist in Ankara? It's kinda boring.

Top Bottom